Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S70 Fuel filter

Views : 502

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2021, 17:02   #1
capt jack
VOC Member

Default S70 Fuel filter

The S70 had developed a bit of a random misfire of late. I fitted a new dissy cap and rotors, cleaned and re-gapped the plugs, and had a close look at the plug leads, all of which seemed fine. There were no fault codes (it's the Fenix system and I have a flash code reader), and although things improved a little, the misfire was still evident, so I turned my thoughts to the fuel filter.

Inspired by Robert's YouTube video I bought a new filter and set about removing the old. Then things went a bit pear-shaped. The clamping ring around the old filter literally fell into rusty pieces when I tried to undo the retaining bolt, and from a quick visual inspection there was no doubt that the filter itself is very badly rusted.

I managed to remove the rusty bracket, and make a new one out of a strip of perforated steel. But I could not, and still absolutely cannot persuade the connectors to slide off the filter inlet and outlet spigots. They will rotate a little, but they will not slide off, and I'm reluctant to force things. The fuel pipes are 23 years old after all.

To add insult to injury the filter casing itself is now leaking fuel. It's OK with the ignition switched off, but the minute the fuel pump starts up, petrol starts to come through the (very rusty) wall of the filter.

So I am really stuck. I've re-secured the old filter, left the battery disconnected and pushed the car back into the garage. But there's no way the engine can be started now, nor the car driven.

It being the holiday the two local garages we use are both shut, so there's nothing I can do about getting the car towed into either until next week.

I'm tempted to have another go, but there seems little point in only trying what I've done before.

I guess it's a good thing that this has happened at home, and at a time when the car isn't urgently needed. The strap and filter were so badly corroded that I could envisage that a buildup of snow or slush, or even splashing through a deep puddle could just as easily have dislodged the filter, and at a far more inconvenient time. I did have this happen once to one of our 70's, on a snowy day, a buildup of snow and ice did indeed force a rusty filter to start leaking.

Does anyone have any trick for removing the fuel pipes from the old filter? I've tried the Haynes method of pushing with a 17mm open spanner, but neither will budge.

Or do I just accept that this has beaten me and leave it to the professionals? I'm more than a little nervous given that it's petrol, and that all I've done so far is to make things worse!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 17:55   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

Try cleaning the connector and retaining ring with a wire brush - a brass suede brush is ideal - that will ensure any road dirt is cleaned from the retaining ring as best as can. Then try pushing the pipe onto the filter pipe whilst trying to free the retaining ring as per Haynes. It may take a bit of wriggling to free everything but once the retaining ring has released the pipe will pull straight off.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 19:13   #3
volvo again
Master Member

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

Probably much the same as Haynes say, and probably exactly what been trying, but may be worth a look for you
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 19:42   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

Thanks both.

The mistake I was making was in not pushing the fuel pipe back towards the filter in order to get the collar to release.

I'll have another try tomorrow. The colour photos in the Pelican Parts link are excellent and make it much clearer than the Haynes description.

Even Robert's video doesn't show how the release collar actually works. I've always found his videos to be great but this one is a bit short on detail.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to post replies - I'll drop a note on here once I've given it another go, which will be either tomorrow or Saturday.

Cheers

Jack
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 10:50   #5
capt jack
VOC Member

Well it's done. In the vent the outlet connector proved to be a bit of a challenge as the metal tube was really heavily rusted along its full length. The inlet tube was clean and shiny and the connector slid off very easily.

I made a new clamping ring from a length of perforated steel strip (from Halfords), and a gasket for this from a scrap piece of vinyl.

Engine started first pull, and was treated to a spirited 5 miles along the local bypass, which revealed no leaks and no misfires.

So thanks to this forum the whole job cost around £20 and took all told a couple of hours.

If I'd taken the car to a garage I'd hazard a guess that I'd have been charged that much at least for the filter, around £100 for the labour, and very probably quite a bit more for a new clamping ring. Would I have had much change from £150 or even £200? I doubt it.

Thanks

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Dec 31st, 2021 at 10:54.
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 11:07   #6
volvo again
Master Member

Glad you have it sorted, that's why we have such good and knowledgable forum members willing to share advice.
I find pelican parts guides quite good...

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...o_V70_Tech.htm
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 12:40   #7
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo again View Post
Glad you have it sorted, that's why we have such good and knowledgable forum members willing to share advice.
I find pelican parts guides quite good...

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...o_V70_Tech.htm
The guide was exactly what I was trying to explain. As always a photo is better than a thousand incoherent words 😀
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: