Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How can anyone do these coilover kits this cheap?

Views : 1387

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2021, 16:04   #1
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Default How can anyone do these coilover kits this cheap?

As eBay has a wont to do, this kit just popped-up in my eBay account, let's not get into the merits of these things, I'm sure such kits are wonderful, thus what I'm asking about is the price, er... how?

I mean how?

£220 delivered from a UK supplier is incredible. Break that down, it has to cost £15 for the courier, and £20 odd goes straight to eBay in fees, which means the seller has this kit leave his door for £185.00?! I mean, but how?.. would you want to try to make these and sell 'em for £185.00 a go? Really?

Here's the link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234323775...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

With eBay sending links dead in week, piccy below:

Even if made of cheese, how can this be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coilovers Suspension .jpg (71.1 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Dec 8th, 2021 at 16:13.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 16:09   #2
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Is the answer:

https://youtu.be/sKtBkVrqYYk
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 16:12   #3
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

£35 of that doesn't even go near the selller... and re: your Youtube link, I think you have it.
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 16:20   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

The seller in the link is based in China - that is all you need to know.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 16:28   #5
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Even from our Chinese brethren that can't fly, but it's the 'Diarrhoea Metallic' that gets me. After much thought, "That's the one." they said.
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 23:37   #6
RaelG

I assume it’s something like this that my car is sitting on
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 06:16   #7
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaelG View Post
I assume it’s something like this that my car is sitting on
[Stands back in wonder]. Yours truly might be about to eat humble-pie?
They exist, and some of us must be buying. If it's you - and we're not hearing complaint - who am I to say?

I can't be the only one curious, with yours the same or similar, do they work, and what sort of miles have you had from them to date?
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 07:56   #8
RaelG

I can’t tell for sure that the set fitted to mine is that exact set, but given I paid a pretty small amount for the car I cannot believe it’s a set from one of the top suppliers. They were fitted prior to me buying the car so I have zero information on when they were fitted but I would say not many miles. The car sits at a lovely height which looks great, the other side of this is the ride which I would describe as not particularly comfortable. It’s gone through the last 2 MOTs with no issues but it’s covered barely 1500 miles…
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 08:36   #9
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Thanks RaelG. Well, that's me told?!

OK, our man on the inside track says the ride is not best, and only vouches for 1500 miles, if what we have there is the same or similar, and it's £220 odd - instead of a mere £1500ish - who has the effrontery to complain? It's cheap, damned cheap. So cheap, they pretty much give them to us..

Provided 'expectations don't exceed price paid', carry on. At that price no one has right to complain.

More worrying, what hope our manufacturers?

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Dec 9th, 2021 at 08:43.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 09:33   #10
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I'd say ITSv40 hit the mark saying the seller is from China, in its own wonderful way ebay allows the listing to show the location as UK although Dorsey would appear to be in America, my bet is that if you ordered them they would come from China via a UK mail handling centre. The brand is stated as maXpeedingrods which is an American company and similar looking kits are on their website but with stock in UK and Germany at twice the price, so it's just about plausible that they are genuine but one wonders how they can be stocked and shipped from China at half the price. To me it smells fishy and I'd be suspicious of them being a copycat product, it is possible that they have been reverse engineered from an original set or that the originals are made in Chine and factory boss has made some extras for his friend to sell to get hold of some foreign currency. Having said that I have a friend who buys quite a lot of stuff direct from China and usually the quality is top notch and the only time he got burnt was when they simply didn't send anything but kept his money.
MaXpeedingrods seem to get mixed reviews, initial build quality and fit look OK but ride quality and durability get some criticism, RaelG may have got lucky, time will tell. As for what hope for our manufacturers? unfortunately many/most people are only interested in the price which makes it difficult for manufacturers of quality products and forces them into what one might consider a 'niche market' and unfortunately that normally means even higher prices for smaller production runs.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote