Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v70 D5 auto v's manual - driving impressions ?

Views : 2172

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 18:16   #41
capt jack
VOC Member

Interesting discussion this. Even if we're starting to find that our Volvos aren't quite what they used to be, at least the Volvo forum quality is as good as ever!

Last year, needing something economical and modern I bought a 2012 V70 D5, with 127,000 miles on. Which had it been a P1 V70 or a redblock 900-series, would in reality barely have been run in.

Now my V70 isn't a bad car by any means, but it just doesn't quite inspire that "this will last forever" feeling that I've always had from our previous Volvos. (That list has included multiple 200-series, 300-series, 700-series, 900-series and P1 S and V70s, and even a 1972 1800ES).

I've done 18,000 miles in my V70 now, so it's sitting at 145,000 miles. It's never let me down, it's true, but it just doesn't make me feel totally happy with it, nor does make me think that I'll be able to double that mileage, and reach the 300,000 trouble-free mileage of my last P1 V70, a 1997 car, or the 250,000 miles of the 1998 S70 that we also own.

The ride and drive are OK, but not as smooth or untroubled as my old '97 S90 or any of my P1 V70s. And I'm sorry, but I don't find the D5 engine inspiring, rather just gruff and distracting.

The electronicals baffle me. The car has so many menus within its computer-control system that even now, almost a year on, I'm still uncovering its secrets.
  • The BLIS system, which is a great idea, will randomly stop working when it's cold, dark and wet, just when you need it most.

• The electronic dipstick that just last night told me to add 0.5 litres of oil, which when done, told me to add a further 1 litre of oil - which being a bit suspicious I didn't do, only to find that this morning on checking, the oil level is exactly where it should be - again, according to the computer. A triumph of digital form over substance. I really have no other way of checking - but surely a proper old-fashioned dipstick would be both cheaper to fit and far more reliable.
The handbook says to drive the car for 30km before the computer can properly assess the oil level. But just how much damage could be done to an engine driven for 20 miles if the oil level truly was drastically low?

And the quality of the fit and finish around the car. The battery cover for example is now held in place by cable ties because the plastic clips fell to pieces. The razor sharp bright trim across the top of the hub of the steering wheel that is as keen as any scalpel blade, as I've found to my cost.

All the Volvos I've owned before have been pretty DIY-friendly, especially around basic stuff like brake renewal, or routine servicing. Not so the P3 V70.

I've run Volvos for over thirty years because I used to trust the brand to stand for quality and reliability, and until now, I've never been disappointed. Whether it's fair to blame Ford, or Geeley, or the motor manufacturing world in general, well, I don't know. But what I do know is that my V70 is OK, and will I guess do for now. Which is sad, because all my previous Volvos have just felt so much better than that.

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Mar 2nd, 2024 at 18:25.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 19:08   #42
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Interesting discussion this. Even if we're starting to find that our Volvos aren't quite what they used to be, at least the Volvo forum quality is as good as ever!

Last year, needing something economical and modern I bought a 2012 V70 D5, with 127,000 miles on. Which had it been a P1 V70 or a redblock 900-series, would in reality barely have been run in.

Now my V70 isn't a bad car by any means, but it just doesn't quite inspire that "this will last forever" feeling that I've always had from our previous Volvos. (That list has included multiple 200-series, 300-series, 700-series, 900-series and P1 S and V70s, and even a 1972 1800ES).

I've done 18,000 miles in my V70 now, so it's sitting at 145,000 miles. It's never let me down, it's true, but it just doesn't make me feel totally happy with it, nor does make me think that I'll be able to double that mileage, and reach the 300,000 trouble-free mileage of my last P1 V70, a 1997 car, or the 250,000 miles of the 1998 S70 that we also own.

The ride and drive are OK, but not as smooth or untroubled as my old '97 S90 or any of my P1 V70s. And I'm sorry, but I don't find the D5 engine inspiring, rather just gruff and distracting.

The electronicals baffle me. The car has so many menus within its computer-control system that even now, almost a year on, I'm still uncovering its secrets.
  • The BLIS system, which is a great idea, will randomly stop working when it's cold, dark and wet, just when you need it most.

• The electronic dipstick that just last night told me to add 0.5 litres of oil, which when done, told me to add a further 1 litre of oil - which being a bit suspicious I didn't do, only to find that this morning on checking, the oil level is exactly where it should be - again, according to the computer. A triumph of digital form over substance. I really have no other way of checking - but surely a proper old-fashioned dipstick would be both cheaper to fit and far more reliable.
The handbook says to drive the car for 30km before the computer can properly assess the oil level. But just how much damage could be done to an engine driven for 20 miles if the oil level truly was drastically low?

And the quality of the fit and finish around the car. The battery cover for example is now held in place by cable ties because the plastic clips fell to pieces. The razor sharp bright trim across the top of the hub of the steering wheel that is as keen as any scalpel blade, as I've found to my cost.

All the Volvos I've owned before have been pretty DIY-friendly, especially around basic stuff like brake renewal, or routine servicing. Not so the P3 V70.

I've run Volvos for over thirty years because I used to trust the brand to stand for quality and reliability, and until now, I've never been disappointed. Whether it's fair to blame Ford, or Geeley, or the motor manufacturing world in general, well, I don't know. But what I do know is that my V70 is OK, and will I guess do for now. Which is sad, because all my previous Volvos have just felt so much better than that.

Jack
I've never personally owned an older Volvo than the P3 S80 I have now. My Dad also has a V70 D5 like you, but his is a 2008. He had a 740 back in the day with a manual transmission... what a beauty that was. It was so comfortable to be in. I was only a child at the time, so I don't really remember much about the engine side of things, but I do remember the seats were incredible comfortable. They were navy blue cloth seats, but you'd fall asleep in them no problem (as I did many a time ).

I have a physical dipstick in mine. It sounds like you may have a dodgy oil sensor... the joys of electronics. Lots of cars don't have dipsticks nowadays... I think its stupid.

I don't find the P3 hard to work on, but then again, I've never worked on an older Volvo, so I have nothing to compare it to really. I do the basics myself like servicing and brakes, but the bigger jobs, I just let the garage do it.

I'd love an old Volvo, like a 740. I don't think having it parked outside would do it any good though, nor would it be fuel efficient (probably heavier than the D5 is, and that's saying something!). I like the mod cons too like heated seats and air conditioning, I don't think that was as common in that era. I may be wrong.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 19:22   #43
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post

Jack
I fully get this, I have similar thoughts on our P3 cars, lots of electrical stuff, also caught the steering wheel like you. One thing I did do was fit a proper dipstick that is available for these cars for about £75 and takes care of any oil level issues for good. That said I still like them, they are certainly a nicer place to be in my opinion than the older P2 cars however the seats in the P2s have yet to be beaten in my opinion.

A sad circumstance meant my old S60 got driven 6hrs to a hospital without a single stop made. I got out the other end like I hadn’t been anywhere. It was a belting car that!

Our XC90 is a 2005, it’s brilliant. It has the true Volvo feel to it, it’s on nearly 170k and it’s like a faithful old friend.

Obviously Volvo as a brand has changed and therefor what it stands for has changed, the old Volvo stereotypes were just that because they were true in a way. We have become accustomed to it but as time as moved on the cars have moved away from it and as such you feel like the newer stuff isn’t what it was because it was never meant to be that. If that makes any sense.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; Mar 2nd, 2024 at 19:25.
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 19:24   #44
Kev0607
Premier Member

I've never had a P2, I really like the look of them. The rear leg space in them looks cramped to me though. Maybe I'm wrong, but the P3 definitely looks bigger in the back. I suppose the P3's are bigger cars too, so that's probably why.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 21:40   #45
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I've never had a P2, I really like the look of them. The rear leg space in them looks cramped to me though. Maybe I'm wrong, but the P3 definitely looks bigger in the back. I suppose the P3's are bigger cars too, so that's probably why.
The P3 V70 has just a little more knee room than the P2 V70, but how much foot room there is will depend upon how low or high the seat in front has been positioned.

In my car, there is, therefore, less foot room behind the driver than in my old P2 inasmuch as my feet can't slide in underneath the front seat. So, in effect, and given that the foot is a normal component of the human leg assembly, my P3 actually has less useful rear leg room than my old P2.

Having said that, it's not super-cramped, and none of my rear seat passengers has ever complained.

For me, the big improvement in the P3 V70 is greater ride height and a better tailgate that properly gets out of the way when opened.
Old Mar 10th, 2024, 11:16   #46
apersson850
Premier Member

Having experience with Volvos back to the PV 544 Special II from 1959, which my father owned when I was born, I can just agree that a Volvo today is more like any other car than ever before. The closer you get to today's date the more electronic and difficult for the homefix engineer to handle.

Both being 5-cylinders, there's a massive difference between the 854 Turbo I had before and the XC70 D5 I have today.
The power difference is five horsepowers. The difference in attitude is like day and night. The 854 Turbo was always on its toes. As soon as the engine passed 3000 r/min it was like "Want to race? Ready to go? Now?"

If you press the pedal on the XC70 it's like "Ohhh, do we have to go fast? All right, all right, I'll increase the speed then." A minute later nothing has happened. Well, it's doing 200+ km/h, but it feels like nothing has happened.

On the other hand, towing the 1700 kg caravan the XC70 is so superior to the 854 that you can't compare. Literally, since the max towing weight of the 854 was 1600 kg, but I had a 1500 kg caravan back then.

The classic 5-cylinder engines have a standard dipstick too, but it's not intended for everyday use, so it's short, difficult to pull and awkward to reach. But it's there.
One of the reasons Volvo do offer a conventional stick too is that the Swedish police authority refused to accept the car otherwise.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post: