Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brakes problem

Views : 800

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 01:11   #1
Tulip

Hi folks,

A very strange thing happened to me a few weeks back. I was in town doing some bits and pieces and I did a lot of driving around in my 760. I stopped for a crossing, and when it was free to go I put my foot on the gas peddle and the car shifted but with protest.
So I stopped and felt the front wheels which where abnormally hot. So I think the frond brakes must have been braking for a while. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I had no tools with me so I decided to drive home with frequent stops to let the front disks cool of. After a few miles they loosened up and seem to be honky doory, so I carried on home as normal. Now yesterday I was stuck in a traffic jam on the York ring road and as I was stopping and going and stopping and going the same problem accured again and when back on the dual carriage way towards Leeds everything loosened up again.
I can feel the break peddle having no free travel during these incidents.
I have checked if the pistons in the callipers are stuck, but they seem to move quite freely.
Has anyone any suggestions on what it might be?

Tulip :-(

1990 760 Turbo Auto Saloon B230FT 226.500
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:25   #2
George Holmer

If the pistons move freely then I suspect the brake fluid or even the master cylinder. Try bleeding the brakes with freesh and good fluid.

------------------------------
1995 Volvo 945 LPT Auto +170k
1991 Volvo 945 GL Auto +150k
1989 Volvo 765 Turbo Auto +150k
1988 Volvo 745 GL +220k
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 13:33   #3
ivor940
Master Member

Default RE: Brakes problem

I remember reading in a "Car Mechanics" magazine article on servicing a 940 that the front caliper assembly was known to seize on the carrier ( even though the piston could be free). This means that the pad on the non-piston side will be held against the disk while the piston side one could be free. They recommended removing the piston ( sliding) part of caliper from the fixed part of the caliper( attached to hub) and cleaning off corrosion / debris and applying Coppaslip (or similar ) to the sliding metal surfaces of the caliper. Hope this is of help.

ivor940

VOC member
ivor940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 23:44   #4
Tulip

Hi Ivor940,

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go

Rob

1990 - 760 Turbo Auto Saloon - B230FT
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 23:50   #5
Tulip

Hi George,

Thanks for replying.
I blead them but no success. I thing a new master break cylinder should be given a chance. I'm in the States at the moment. Do you know if break cylinders as sold in the UK where the same as in the US?
I have a feeling that due to the weak Dollar parts like this might be quite cheap.

Best Wishes

Rob
(Tulip)

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 00:02   #6
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

The rear brake balance valve should be checked as they sometimes cut off all rear braking effort and are a pig to bleed properly when they are on the way out.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 19:39   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

It could be condition of brake flexis - they can collapse internally and act as a semi one way valve. The pressure from applying brakes forces past the restriction and it can be slow to return. This does not happen everytime - it can depend on various factors including how hard the brake pedal is applied. we had this happen on a 200 series. For what they cost it could be worth renewing anyway unless you know their history. It is also important to cahnge brake fluid regularly (every 2 years).
Dai
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 00:35   #8
Tulip

Hi Dai,

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Rob (tulip)

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 00:40   #9
Tulip

Hi Peter,

The rear brake balance valve was changed last August together with all the pads (front and Back)and the fluid, and brakes worked OK till recently. I think that Dai has a point because I don't know how old the flex hoses are, ie. I never replaced them. However thanks for replying though,

Rob (tulip)