Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50/S40 DPF or FAP filter removal

Views : 61016

Replies : 133

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2013, 09:30   #101
chappers998

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsome View Post
Found another quick and dirty method (and I think the best so far) with NO electronics needed , you just need som rubber hose / fuel line hose , anything that will have a nice and snug fit on the sensor low side inlet port. You just drill the DPF filter (like I did with 3 to 4 X 18 mm holes with any old drill for wood or similar) , you leave the high side of the DPF pressure sensor connected (the side near battery) , the other side you connect to the lower side of air filter housing by drilling a hole and sticking in the rubber hose / fuel line hose (before the air filter element) so that is sits thight and firm or make some kind of connector if you have this laying around , this will give a nice and smooth variation in pressure as you accelerate/suck ait into the engine as there is a small amount of vaacum created here.
Hello I'm interested in this method I've recently been having issues with my DPF ETC. Am I correct in assuming that this method will get me out of limp mode if I remove the core and use the vacuum from the airbox without any wiring to fool the ecu until I can get the ECU reprogrammed properly.?
chappers998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 10:54   #102
getsome

This should in theory put you out of limp mode.
This method works but the car will still regenerate , and do not attempt this without drilling / emptying the filter because a clogged filter will damage your turbo or at worst engine due too much backpressure. In my opinion get the ecu reprogrammed as soon as possible and use someone that not only talks nice and does remaps for pennies but actually has good reputation , a 10-20 £ remap is no good if it creates 1000:s £ bills for repair.
getsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 13:43   #103
chappers998

Thanks after more research and speaking to a couple of local companies who seemed intent on opening up the ECU I decided to do the job properly. I just gutted the DPF and have arranged with Shark90 for a soft uploader to be delivered, hopefully be here tomorrow and I'll have a proper job done.
BTW for anyone interested, it's my opinion that the service that Shark90 offers is the correct and safest way to go. Yes it's expensive but from what I've read the last thing I want is to lose the ability to read future error codes and not remove every last trace of DPF code which could cause damage by initiating regen, plus talking to other companies I didn't get the impression they fully knew in regards my car what they were doing whereas Shark90 inspired confidence. Only wish I could afford to have the performance remap too but I can barely afford this service, cheaper than DPF/Eloys.

As an aside I may have found the initial cause of my troubles the rubber hose from from the inlet part of the DPF was charred and split, I may have been able to replace it and carry on but doubt it as the DPF was clogged up.
chappers998 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chappers998 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 23:47   #104
Gonzoargentina

Hi!
So, before drilling the dpf, you can check the electrical bypass by starting the engine, am I rigth?
Will this work on a s60 d5?
Thanks
Gonzoargentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2014, 11:38   #105
tomweston

[QUOTE=Stew;713096]Hello,
I tried cleaning the filter with jet wash, detergent etc which worked for a while but it soon started to clog again as I use the car mainly around town.

How did you jet wash the DPF?

Tom
tomweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 15:09   #106
jasonk

Default It works!!

Hi all,

I'm not sure if people are still visiting this thread, but I just wanted to let anyone that is thinking of using this technique that it 100% works. I'm an aero engineering student and was defiantly not able to pay the €700+ to fix my dpf, so I was stuck in "limp" mode for the last month. I was hesitant about splicing the wires and didn't know anyone that had done it before.

After connecting the potentiometer, I brought the car to a garage and they reset the ecu and all the warnings are gone. Then they just said to mix a fluid (cant remember what it was but its cheap and available at most garages) into the tank and drive at 3k revs for awhile. They said that should last a over a month so I can get a bit of money together to get it completely removed.

Overall it only cost me €30. Thank you so much stew, I owe ya a pint!!

Jason
jasonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 16:43   #107
sb1uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Hello,
Not sure if this subject has already been covered but I thought I would post it in case it is of some use to people.
I have recently been having problems with my 2.0 TDI 2005 Volvo V50 going into limp mode. I did a diagnostic check and found it was showing a blocked DPF filter. I tried cleaning the filter with jet wash, detergent etc which worked for a while but it soon started to clog again as I use the car mainly around town. Decided that instead of replacing the filter I would try to remove it all together. Now I must point out before I go on that I am not some sort of electrical/electronic wizard, I just did a bit of reading and came up with a solution.

As you will probably be aware, you can’t just remove the DPF and begin driving again as the pressure sensor for the DPF will show a fault. To prevent this from happening you need to fool the ECU into thinking that the DPF is working fine. This was not as hard as I first thought. The sensor for the DPF (attached to the battery housing) is fairly simple. It has two pressure pipes which are feed from either side of the filter, an electrical socket with a 5 volt live, an earth and an output wire which sends a voltage to the ecu. I worked out that if the ECU receives a voltage of approximately 0.35 volts it believes that the filter is working fine. I therefore cut the three wires feeding the sensor and fitted a 5k Cermet potentiometer (see below). These can be found at Maplin or eBay for under £1.50p

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2202

These simply allow you to adjust the output voltage from 5volts down to zero in very fine increments. I then soldered the earth wire to the earth connection of the potentiometer, the 5v cable and output cable to the remaining connections on the potentiometer. Once that was done it was just a simple case of setting the output voltage to the desired reading which is approximately .35 of a volt and clearing any fault codes from the ECU. I also took the DPF filter off the car and removed the carbon insert with a large drill.

The engine has run for a few weeks now with no pending or current faults on the ECU.

Like I said at the start, I am no technical guru but I would say that anyone who can use a soldering iron, multimeter and a large drill could do this and save a fortune on replacing DPF’s or having your ECU remapped.

Hope this is of help to someone.

Cheers,

Stew
Hi Stew , which is the earth on this Potentiometer I cant find out anywhere. Steve
sb1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 18:10   #108
daveyonthemove

Hello all, sorry to revive this very old thread.
I picked up a used V50 at the weekend which has recently had a new turbo, but smokes like hell and recently went into limp mode. Fault codes suggest a clogged DPF, and service history indicates that it hasn't had the Volvo treatment at DPF intervals, so this looks like the most likely cause.
Can anyone point me in the direction of the DPF location (I'm new to Volvo's) and can anyone clarify if the DPF is gutted entirely, or drilled out by a certain amount?
I'm waiting on quotes to have this work carried out by garages who know they're stuff, but not scared to give this a go if the costs are too high.

Many thanks for any info.

Dave
daveyonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 18:22   #109
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyonthemove View Post
Hello all, sorry to revive this very old thread.
I picked up a used V50 at the weekend which has recently had a new turbo, but smokes like hell and recently went into limp mode. Fault codes suggest a clogged DPF, and service history indicates that it hasn't had the Volvo treatment at DPF intervals, so this looks like the most likely cause.
Can anyone point me in the direction of the DPF location (I'm new to Volvo's) and can anyone clarify if the DPF is gutted entirely, or drilled out by a certain amount?
I'm waiting on quotes to have this work carried out by garages who know they're stuff, but not scared to give this a go if the costs are too high.

Many thanks for any info.

Dave
If it's smoking noticably then you probably have other problems of which the clogged DPF is just a symptom.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 18:45   #110
daveyonthemove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
If it's smoking noticably then you probably have other problems of which the clogged DPF is just a symptom.
Possibly, but it won't hurt to remove it anyway and then I can rule it out from further investigation.
daveyonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote