Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50/S40 DPF or FAP filter removal

Views : 61001

Replies : 133

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2016, 19:15   #111
paddyred
Master Member

A clogged DPF could lead to smoking due to some pretty intense back pressure. If it's clogged its clogged but it might not be the cause. More likely to be a dodgy EGR or turbo pipe!
Old May 3rd, 2016, 19:19   #112
daveyonthemove

All pipes appear to be seated correctly.
EGR is on my list of jobs to do. The smoke isn't too bad when gently building up speed, but if you put your foot down you get a thick puff of smoke when the turbo comes on full boost.
DPF removal is job I plan to do anyway, so even if it isn't the main cause I want to get it gutted and mapped out.
I'll keep googling for answers to my questions, I'm sure somebody will know.
daveyonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 16:35   #113
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyonthemove View Post
Hello all, sorry to revive this very old thread.
I picked up a used V50 at the weekend which has recently had a new turbo, but smokes like hell and recently went into limp mode. Fault codes suggest a clogged DPF, and service history indicates that it hasn't had the Volvo treatment at DPF intervals, so this looks like the most likely cause.
Can anyone point me in the direction of the DPF location (I'm new to Volvo's) and can anyone clarify if the DPF is gutted entirely, or drilled out by a certain amount?
I'm waiting on quotes to have this work carried out by garages who know they're stuff, but not scared to give this a go if the costs are too high.

Many thanks for any info.

Dave
Why not spend some money and service your car properly rather than breaking the law and polluting everyone else, selfish.
Old May 4th, 2016, 17:13   #114
daveyonthemove

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo View Post
Why not spend some money and service your car properly rather than breaking the law and polluting everyone else, selfish.
Hi Bungo,

Thanks for your valuable contribution and insult. It's been at least 3 days since a total stranger knew my exact circumstances and made a judgement on me, so I was beginning to think that someone had broken the internet. You have restored my faith and I now know that everything is as it should be.
Old May 4th, 2016, 17:16   #115
kgthomas

The one thing I wonder about the whole idea that the DPF cuts down on emissions is that if the DPF collects the soot and therefore lowers the emissions then burns them off at a later stage. Surely when it burns them of later they are then putting the soot back into the environment. I do know that the burn off is supposed to be at a higher temperature so is more like incineration but I wonder how effective this is?

If you get the DPF out of the car why not use some cleaning fluids on it? I almost had to do this to the wife's S40 but whilst removing the DPF I noticed that the tube to the sensor was broken so turned out to be an easier fix than i expected.

Worth checking the pipes running to the sensor and the sensor itself in case it is faulty as I have also had the wires on the sensor corrode.

Cheers Keith
kgthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kgthomas For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2016, 17:20   #116
daveyonthemove

I was thinking the same thing, Keith, but I'm sure Volvo (and the others) know something we don't.
I wasn't planning to remove the filter myself unless I really had to, but I will take a closer look at the pipes when I get a chance.

Thanks for the helpful post, they seem to be rare on forums lately
The Following User Says Thank You to daveyonthemove For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2016, 18:30   #117
paddyred
Master Member

The dpf converts Nox into carbon then traps it in a filter basically. When your on the motorway it heats up and burns the carbon into carbon dioxide and water if I remember correctly. At the end of the day the 2.0d variant exceeds the pollution standards with no dpf hence why it didn't have one untill the eu required them by law. Just gut it and save a tonne of money, fuel and gain power. There really isn't a downside.
Old May 4th, 2016, 19:37   #118
daveyonthemove

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyred View Post
The dpf converts Nox into carbon then traps it in a filter basically. When your on the motorway it heats up and burns the carbon into carbon dioxide and water if I remember correctly. At the end of the day the 2.0d variant exceeds the pollution standards with no dpf hence why it didn't have one untill the eu required them by law. Just gut it and save a tonne of money, fuel and gain power. There really isn't a downside.
Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated.
I have quotes coming in and I'm doing some research on local companies to make sure I pay once and get the job done properly.
Old May 4th, 2016, 19:44   #119
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyred View Post
Just gut it and save a tonne of money, fuel and gain power. There really isn't a downside.
.... apart from the downside that it is an offence to drive a car on the road without the fitted DPF and the fact that the car would also fail an MOT....!!!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 19:54   #120
daveyonthemove

This thread was started over 5 years ago, so there will be a handful of people who have had at least one MOT with their DPF gutted.
I'm sure they can inform us if they had a fail on the MOT or a pass.