Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50/S40 DPF or FAP filter removal

Views : 61009

Replies : 133

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2016, 20:04   #121
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyonthemove View Post
This thread was started over 5 years ago, so there will be a handful of people who have had at least one MOT with their DPF gutted.
I'm sure they can inform us if they had a fail on the MOT or a pass.
The rules were different then to what the recently introduced ones are now.
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 20:06   #122
daveyonthemove

Please can you explain the differences for me?

Last edited by daveyonthemove; May 4th, 2016 at 20:11.
daveyonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 20:10   #123
volvorocks
Rodney

Me? Differences in what? Rules?

As far as I am aware, they toughened things up and made driving without a DPF where one should be fitted an offence, and also introduced DPF checking into the MOT, which admittedly is a bit difficult to do if the shell of the thing is still there, and the cars emissions and smoke are ok..!!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 20:14   #124
paddyred
Master Member

New MOT rules require that if the car had a factory fitted DPF from the factory then it must still be fitted when the car is tested during the MOT which means everyone S*** themselves about it.

However:

1) MOT stations cannot test the DPF for functionality so a gutted DPF with no internals will not be found.

2) MOT stations have no information as to what cars have DPF's fitted from factory.

3) Unless you are one of those people who have a nack of upsetting your local garage they quite frankly don't care if it's there or not.

4) The DPF makes no difference to emissions or the smoke emission during the cambelt snapping test.
Old May 4th, 2016, 20:14   #125
daveyonthemove

Are they looking for the physical item to be there?
Will they be removing it to check it hasn't been gutted?
Trust me when I tell you that my car has less chance of passing an MOT with the dpf fitted than it would without it.
Diesel engines only need to pass a smoke test, they do not check the gases. Mine emits enough smoke to shame a steam engine.
Old May 4th, 2016, 20:33   #126
paddyred
Master Member

They will check for it to be there and not a piece of short tubing to be in its place. Always remember an MOT tester is NOT allowed to remove any part of the vehicle for testing. They aren't even allowed to remove the pull off type engine covers to check for fuel/oil leaks.
You are correct, they don't test for the emissions on diesels but they do use the readings (as it is the same probe) to check for the correct functioning of the CAT. There aren't set limits but poor readings can indicate a failed/removed CAT.
Old May 4th, 2016, 22:03   #127
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyonthemove View Post
Hi Bungo,

Thanks for your valuable contribution and insult. It's been at least 3 days since a total stranger knew my exact circumstances and made a judgement on me, so I was beginning to think that someone had broken the internet. You have restored my faith and I now know that everything is as it should be.
If you take the truth as as an insult and judgement that's your issue.
The vast majority spend their hard earned money on maintaining their cars to the legal requirement and which is designed to reduce emissions for ALL our health.
Why some people think these legal and moral responsibilities don't apply to them can only be put down to either misinformation or selfishness.
Hopefully now you have the correct information it won't be selfishness
Old May 5th, 2016, 06:30   #128
daveyonthemove

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyred View Post
They will check for it to be there and not a piece of short tubing to be in its place. Always remember an MOT tester is NOT allowed to remove any part of the vehicle for testing. They aren't even allowed to remove the pull off type engine covers to check for fuel/oil leaks.
You are correct, they don't test for the emissions on diesels but they do use the readings (as it is the same probe) to check for the correct functioning of the CAT. There aren't set limits but poor readings can indicate a failed/removed CAT.
I don't plan to replace the DPF, just gut it out.
The cat will remain and the rest of the exhaust will be stock so there should be no reason that the test will fail, however I do have a friend how has an MOT testing garage so I will ask him to check it for emissions once the work has been completed. If it's high/fail levels I will investigate how to bring the levels down again.
Old May 5th, 2016, 09:01   #129
kgthomas

You guys are lucky in Northern Ireland we have to go through a government testing facility. It's a nightmare.

The other year my wife's S40 blew both front shocks the day before the test so couldn't get them replaced before the test. It passed the computer suspension test but was noisy so the guy failed it on fluid being visible on the shocks he told my wife. Strange that on gas filled shocks you can get fluid leakage. The car needed them and I was going to fit them anyway but the £17.50 retest fee always annoys me. It always feels like they have a set number to fail.

On the smoking I think you said you just bought the car? If so has it been serviced regularly / correctly?
kgthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 18:26   #130
daveyonthemove

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgthomas View Post
You guys are lucky in Northern Ireland we have to go through a government testing facility. It's a nightmare.

The other year my wife's S40 blew both front shocks the day before the test so couldn't get them replaced before the test. It passed the computer suspension test but was noisy so the guy failed it on fluid being visible on the shocks he told my wife. Strange that on gas filled shocks you can get fluid leakage. The car needed them and I was going to fit them anyway but the £17.50 retest fee always annoys me. It always feels like they have a set number to fail.

On the smoking I think you said you just bought the car? If so has it been serviced regularly / correctly?
Yes it has FSH with a cambelt change and new turbo fitted last month.
I have a feeling that the DPF services were missed and this caused the DPF to block and prevent the turbo spooling. This might have either ruined the previous turbo, or more likely caused a mis-diagnosis resulting in a new Turbo being fitted. I think the new turbo is strong enough to blow out large puffs of smoke (only smokes badly on boost) but clearly this isn't healthy.
I have had a quote for it to be removed with a Remap and EGR delete for under £500, so I am going to book it in once my other car sells.