Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 602376

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2016, 21:01   #1041
Rooster
Speed freak

They are changing the way the cooling system works so it supplies more hot water to the egr basically to try and reducing condensation levels inside it,

But they obviously have to get a supplier to make the new parts so there is abit of delay in its release,

personally if you can live with the light i would until the rework is released else you will only be back when the turtle comes on again
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 09:00   #1042
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Personally if you can live with the light i would until the rework is released else you will only be back when the turtle comes on again
I ran my V60 for 4 months and about 3,500 miles with the Check Engine light on, with no apparent ill effects. This was because the Volvo dealer advised me that as I wasn't in limp mode, I could leave it while they waited for parts.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 09:15   #1043
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
They are changing the way the cooling system works so it supplies more hot water to the egr basically to try and reducing condensation levels inside it,

But they obviously have to get a supplier to make the new parts so there is abit of delay in its release,

personally if you can live with the light i would until the rework is released else you will only be back when the turtle comes on again
How come other VEA engines are not being affected by this, why was I informed back in August on my last fix that I now have the permanent soloution with revised EGR cooler by Squire Furneaux in Maidenhead and Volvo UK?

I will not be amused if my car once again has issues.

It the same as Oil level with many on here claiming the D4 is supposed to be 4.8l with Other dealers claiming 5.2

What are the specs what is the truth on the fix issue? And why are no other VEA such as the D2/3/5 in other cars not having the same issue?
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 11:20   #1044
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc01 View Post
How come other VEA engines are not being affected by this, why was I informed back in August on my last fix that I now have the permanent soloution with revised EGR cooler by Squire Furneaux in Maidenhead and Volvo UK?
The simple truth is, it's a question of numbers. There's simply LOADS more D4 VEAs on the road because they've been selling them for 18 months. The D2 / D3 / D5 VEAs have been sold in very small numbers relative to the D4, so it could well be affecting ALL the variants, but we won't know until significant numbers of owners start reporting problems.

It sounds like your dealer and Volvo UK were talking crap last August, I'm afraid - they might have hoped what they did to your car would be a permanent, but the actual permanent fix is only just becoming available now, based on extensive real-time datalogging that Volvo HQ did with affected UK cars in October & November 2015.
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 17:30   #1045
NigelDay
Premier Member

So the question now becomes, will THE FIX be applied across the board to all D4 VEAs as a 'sort of' recall when they come in for service, or will they leave well alone if a car is running OK ? The question is highly relevant because what happens if a previously 'OK' car develops an EGR problem out of warranty.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 17:54   #1046
tem
Premier Member

I can now confirm what Rooster has said after a visit to the dealers today.
Yes, they are modifying the cooling pipe work to alow the EGR valve to run hotter and reduce condensation.
Volvo are not ready to implement this mod across the board as yet, they are only doing it on cars that are/have been seriously affected by the EGR/Oxygen sensor problem.
At long last, we can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Today, they found that I have more Oxygen sensor problems.
Hopefully rectified when service carried out on the 2nd May.
Wing mirror problem will also be rectified.

tem.
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 23:48   #1047
Rooster
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc01 View Post
What are the specs what is the truth on the fix issue? And why are no other VEA such as the D2/3/5 in other cars not having the same issue?
Simple answer they are,

Its 5.2 litres
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 11:42   #1048
spaceman2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
So the question now becomes, will THE FIX be applied across the board to all D4 VEAs as a 'sort of' recall when they come in for service, or will they leave well alone if a car is running OK ? The question is highly relevant because what happens if a previously 'OK' car develops an EGR problem out of warranty.
I'm now into my 3rd year of ownership with our D4 VEA. Have had 2 EGR repairs/replacements, at 10 and 20 months. Car will out of warranty at end of Feb 17 so the question of what happens after that if EGR problems occur again is very relevant. I will be buying a extended warranty anyhow, any recommendations from anyone here, Volvo or 3rd party warranty?

Perhaps I should be having a discussion with the dealer now or close to the end of the 3 years?
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceman2844 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 12:06   #1049
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post
I'm now into my 3rd year of ownership with our D4 VEA. Have had 2 EGR repairs/replacements, at 10 and 20 months. Car will out of warranty at end of Feb 17 so the question of what happens after that if EGR problems occur again is very relevant. I will be buying a extended warranty anyhow, any recommendations from anyone here, Volvo or 3rd party warranty?

Perhaps I should be having a discussion with the dealer now or close to the end of the 3 years?
Yes, have a word with your dealer, but I would also suggest that you contact Volvo Customer Relations regarding this, as this my result in your dealership carrying out the latest cooling pipework mods.

tem.
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 12:15   #1050
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post
I second what Tem said above. Talk to the dealer AND contact VUK customer services now, and I would suggest phrase it along these lines:

"I've had two replacement EGR units under warranty, the first done at 10 months / X,000 miles and the second at 20 months / XX,000 miles. I understand the most recent replacement is not regarded by Volvo as a permanent solution. As such, I am concerned that EGR problems may recur in the future, outside of the 3-year warranty period. Can you assure me that Volvo UK will resolve future EGR-related problems on my car as a warranty repair."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to craigv60 For This Useful Post: