Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 603092

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2016, 18:01   #1051
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post
I'm now into my 3rd year of ownership with our D4 VEA. Have had 2 EGR repairs/replacements, at 10 and 20 months. Car will out of warranty at end of Feb 17 so the question of what happens after that if EGR problems occur again is very relevant. I will be buying a extended warranty anyhow, any recommendations from anyone here, Volvo or 3rd party warranty?

Perhaps I should be having a discussion with the dealer now or close to the end of the 3 years?
You should find that the egr issue will be covered beyond the 3 year warranty period, as it is a known issue with Volvo and a multiple ''ongoing notified within warranty period without suitable fix issue'' If an outside warranty repair was refused, you should have a good case for recourse.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 09:45   #1052
dantherman

Default Same here

Ours is one of the first D4 engines to come into the UK but like everyone else, its gone again!
This is the third time in 2 years of ownership and the last time it happened it went into limp mode, had to be towed back to the dealership.

Anyone else think the heater is absolutely useless, ours never seems to get hot, but the dealers says it's working fine, coldest car we have ever owned

Very disappointing and will be going very soon!!

Last edited by dantherman; Apr 19th, 2016 at 09:52.
dantherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 11:56   #1053
Gilesme

Hi Dantherman - i think this has been asked before, but have you tried Shell Nitro Plus ?

My mate had a SEAT - dpf kept clogging, switched to Nitro and it solved the problem (well, that and the odd "Italian tune-up" !). you do need to keep it on the stuff though.

My heater is excellent - starts getting warm very close to home in the winter.
Gilesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 11:58   #1054
Turnwood

Heater is fine in mine - better than the diesel A4 I had previously.

My Jan 2015 built car is going in for its second (37k mile) service tomorrow. I have still not had any EGR issues (or any issues of any kind actually) but I will be mentioning my concerns to the service staff. I need to be reassured because I will be turning 60k miles by the end of the year and I do not want any nasty bills outside the warranty period.

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 12:37   #1055
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilesme View Post
Hi Dantherman - i think this has been asked before, but have you tried Shell Nitro Plus ?

My mate had a SEAT - dpf kept clogging, switched to Nitro and it solved the problem (well, that and the odd "Italian tune-up" !). you do need to keep it on the stuff though.

Shel nitro plus makes no difference several myself included have used it since owning the car and still have had the EGR/cooler fail.

Heater works fine in my car. Although I did have issues which resulted in cold air being blown out from foot well, a software download fixed this.

Interesting that the fix seems to be to not cool the exhaust gas... By pumping hot water around is this not a cop out and bodge to stop it failing? I thought the whole idea was to cool the exhaust gas....
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 18:10   #1056
ChatsV60

My S60 has just joined the club, check light on at 13,000. Hope it doesn't spoil my holiday touring the far north of Scotland.
ChatsV60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 18:51   #1057
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantherman View Post
Ours is one of the first D4 engines to come into the UK but like everyone else, its gone again!
This is the third time in 2 years of ownership and the last time it happened it went into limp mode, had to be towed back to the dealership.

Anyone else think the heater is absolutely useless, ours never seems to get hot, but the dealers says it's working fine, coldest car we have ever owned

Very disappointing and will be going very soon!!
We have never had an issue with heat, your dealer can't be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilesme View Post

I used Vpower nitro exclusively from new and EGR failed multiple times. Last fix was Autumn 2015, after which I have been using normal She'll diesel and we've had no issues since. I don't think it makes any difference.

If I have one concern, it is that our massive road trip to Alesund in Norway is just two months away and I suspect a repeat appearance of the turtle / warning light will reoccur as it did on our Summer holidays in 2015.

My car goes in next week for summer tyre swap out. Will speak to the dealer about the new fix then.

Arianne
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 20:20   #1058
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
We have never had an issue with heat, your dealer can't be right.

I used Vpower nitro exclusively from new and EGR failed multiple times. Last fix was Autumn 2015, after which I have been using normal She'll diesel and we've had no issues since. I don't think it makes any difference.

If I have one concern, it is that our massive road trip to Alesund in Norway is just two months away and I suspect a repeat appearance of the turtle / warning light will reoccur as it did on our Summer holidays in 2015.

My car goes in next week for summer tyre swap out. Will speak to the dealer about the new fix then.

Arianne
Arianne,
I have been told, to get a priority fix, you need to contact VCS's.
With your history of problems, I think that you should get the mod right away.
By all means have a word with your dealer, but as I understand it, the fix has to be authorised by Volvo UK.

Norway?
You sure have some trip in front of you.
I used the go to Umea in Sweden and cross from Tyneside to either Kristinsand of Goteburg. No that the ferry has stopped, I do not go.
Which route are you going to go?

tem.
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 20:45   #1059
Arianne
Premier Member

DFDS Newcastle to IJmuiden, Amsterdam. I waited in the hope that the BritishScandanavian ferry service from Newcastle to Bergen might start for 2016 but it wasn't to be. I hope that a ferry service starts again one day as the alternative, shown below, is long and expensive.

Then drive to Aarhus for an overnight stop. Sadly, we just couldn't make it to Hirtshals in time for the 20:00hrs overnight ferry to Bergen. So we will have a night in a nice hotel and explore this university town the next day.

Then the overnight ferry to Bergen. It stops first at Stavanger and then on to Bergen for midday arrival.

8hr drive north to a tiny hamlet called Urke where we have a place overlooking the fjord perched on the mountainside. It comes complete with its own boat and outboard motor!

Return is via Alesund, Bergen and Copenhagen, nice and slowly with hotels en-route.

Hoping to take in Geirangerfjord, the Atlantic Road and a few other sights. Never been to Norway before so any advice would be appreciated.

I could always pop into Volvo HQ if the turtle makes an appearance?

Arianne

Last edited by Arianne; Apr 19th, 2016 at 20:53.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arianne For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 22:05   #1060
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
DFDS Newcastle to IJmuiden, Amsterdam. I waited in the hope that the BritishScandanavian ferry service from Newcastle to Bergen might start for 2016 but it wasn't to be. I hope that a ferry service starts again one day as the alternative, shown below, is long and expensive.

Then drive to Aarhus for an overnight stop. Sadly, we just couldn't make it to Hirtshals in time for the 20:00hrs overnight ferry to Bergen. So we will have a night in a nice hotel and explore this university town the next day.

Then the overnight ferry to Bergen. It stops first at Stavanger and then on to Bergen for midday arrival.

8hr drive north to a tiny hamlet called Urke where we have a place overlooking the fjord perched on the mountainside. It comes complete with its own boat and outboard motor!

Return is via Alesund, Bergen and Copenhagen, nice and slowly with hotels en-route.

Hoping to take in Geirangerfjord, the Atlantic Road and a few other sights. Never been to Norway before so any advice would be appreciated.

I could always pop into Volvo HQ if the turtle makes an appearance?

Arianne
First off, Norway is expensive.
The Norwegians that live near the border, nip over to Sweden to buy fuel for their cars.
If one likes a G&T, or a wee Dram, take the refreshment with you.

Driving?
Not looked at your route, but one can be driven round the bend, as some of the roads, route around many of the fjords.
A to B can take longer than expected.
Remember Norway and Sweden are Zero tolerance, regarding drink/driving.
One glass of 4.5% lager at 21.00 hours, will put one over the limit at 09.00 hours the next morning.

Elks?
They can be a safety issue, more so in Sweden.
These beasties can weigh up to 600 kg's.
You will see lorrys/trucks with, what I call, instant burger crash grids, made from reinforced "R" bar.
Hit an Elk/Moose, then you will have enough burgers to last two years.

Away from the negative.
Both Norway and Sweden are lovely countries, the folk are very friendly and nearly all speak English.

Volvo.
If time allows, please consider visiting the complex, near Goteburg.
Time it right, and you will see, Volvo's being built.
Due to the time of ferry crossings, I have never managed to visit.

Best,

tem.