Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

transmission banging

Views : 1141

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2018, 12:24   #11
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Bit of a long shot: ~ have you checked the exhaust system for clearance against the body? Just had it on my car- tail pipe required adjustment?
Good Luck.
Bob
That is an - interesting - question.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 23:12   #12
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

Bob especially. Pretty sure I can eliminate the exhaust. Altho it's relatively new, it was knocking slightly a while back. That was sorted and hasn't made any knocking noise since

I am fairly convinced that the noise itself is the prop drumming. It's what is causing it that is my issue

I am going to replace the rear gearbox mount as it's simple and cheap to do (and we know that the mount on the box has some miles on it)

I think that I am going to re-bearing, re-UJ and re-balance a propshaft and fit with a new doughnut coupling

If all of that does not work, the fault must lie with the clutch/flywheel set-up. The noise and vibration only occurs when letting the clutch in, so my hunch is really pointing in that direction. I'll do the cheaper easier jobs myself first to see if they eliminate the problem. If not, it's a gearbox off job... keep you all posted!

Nick
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 23:34   #13
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Very annoying Nick and a real pain to find the cause-
another long shot for you but worth checking as I have just had a similar issue with my 240.
Check the three bolts that secure the rear control arm bracket, two on my car had worked loose giving an intermittent rattle/vibration.
You will get there
Good Luck-Bob
Link: ~ https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=282949&page=2
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 01:19   #14
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

...and the winner is...

Bugjam! Well mostly anyway...

So it looks like the 200k mile gearbox was at fault with a pretty worn input shaft bearing (I can move the input shaft up and down probably by 1mm or so by hand) and also the whole clutch/flywheel set-up was a mess

I have the car back with a 110k mile gearbox in it, reskimmed flywheel, refurbed prop, new mount and new doughnut and all is sweet, quiet and tight. That's a real step in the right direction after 2 years' worth of problems

So the car is going now, but still not stopping correctly...

Thanks guys!
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicholas Lewin For This Useful Post: