Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1800 Engine Ticking Noise

Views : 763

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2018, 19:57   #1
Waddii

Default P1800 Engine Ticking Noise

My P1800 engine is all tuned up, tappets, carbs, ignition timing, dwell angle all to the green manual and runs quite well. I say it runs well but to me, newcomer to this particular engine type, it has a vague fluttering feeling compared to say a bmc engine. Plenty of smooth delivery of power but, not easy to describe, it has a vague feel and sound of a flutter.

Also, present all the time is a background ticking sound which reminds me of a tractor. It is related to engine revs but sounds more like cam speed to me.

So, I've listened to endless videos on the 'tube' and the ones refererring to timing gear sound much worse than mine, but the tick is very similar.

What is the received wisdom on this? Could this be the begining of the timing gear problem even though the engine has done less than 40K since new.

One more 'clue', possibly, is that at tickover the timing light shows the timing point jumping about a bit. Just a few degrees here and there. Once the revs are increased it settles down and advanced smoothly. The distributer is good, it is not slack and sloppy.

Any views?
Waddii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 01:37   #2
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default All Bran

Worn fibre timing gear? Easy job.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 08:55   #3
Waddii

That is what I suspect too. When you say easy job, do I need special tools? WIll a standard 2 or 3 leg puller do to get the gears off?

Oh, and is there a good write up on doing it, like Ron's ignition stuff?

Last edited by Waddii; Jun 30th, 2018 at 08:58.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 16:57   #4
tdz840
VOC Member

Check for an exhaust manifold leak first. Often one of the manifold bolts have been left out.
Typically one of the back ones.
Sometimes a ticking sound explanation turns out to be the tappets. These tend to be a little tickety.
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 16:26   #5
Waddii

Thanks Russ, I did check the manifold for leaks as I'm sure it could make the same sort of ticking if one pot is puffing down a leak but all seems fine.

I keep meaning to do the 'watch the distributor rotor and rock the crank back and forth' test but I haven't got round to it yet. I'll definitely do it this week though.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 11:08   #6
amazon69
Premier Member

I used a simple and really effective trick to chase down exhaust leaks on my old Merc..I used a small sprayer to wet the manifold and joins with a washing up liquid and water solution, and then put my garage vac in the exhaust set to blow. I put a rag around the hose to make a good seal. The exhaust leaks, if you have any, are immediately obvious..it works really well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amazon69 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 15:53   #7
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Ok my 10 penneth.
A metalic click could be one of the cam lifters sticking...it was on my car.
Best way is a cheap stethoscope to pinpoint where the noise is from

"Lets turn up the juice and see what shakes loose"
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote