Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 engine failing to idle on de-clutch

Views : 441

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2018, 17:58   #1
Nick850GLT

Default 850 engine failing to idle on de-clutch

My 850 runs sweetly, despite covering over 200,0000 miles.
Recently it has developed a tendency for the engine to 'drop out' when declutching at a road junction.
The idle is normally fine, it will sit and tick-over without a glitch, but at a junction (often, but by no means always) the revs just drop to zero and it stalls - which is quite a nuisance as power steering obviously fails too.
There are no warning lights or service indications at all - so it is not showing a fault code.

Any suggestions as to the likely cause much appreciated.
Nick850GLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 22:51   #2
SwedishBus

Idle control valve sticking. This is the little cylindrical Bosch unit that sits across the throttle body, and effectively bypasses the throttle at idle. When you over-run the engine, the valve is being controlled to a very small oriface, then is sticking there. It will not happen at normal idling, as the control never goes that small.

These valves can be carefully cleaned to free then up. I'm sure that there is a thread here somewhere on that subject!
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 16:06   #3
byootox
Premier Member

These rotary valves were very common on a lot of cars back in the late eighties and throughout the nineties, and as said a good spray inside them and shaking them like you were lapping valves can help.
If the fault just goes away for even a little while you know you've found your fault.
Then you can order a new valve accordingly if the fault returns.
Bear in mind sometimes these valves are too far gone to successfully clean up.
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 13:56   #4
scutyde
Retrofit master

Check also the thick air hose which connects the airbox with the throttle body. Mine was broken and it exibited the same symptoms.
scutyde is offline   Reply With Quote