Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850GLT saloon for sale in Derby

Views : 1235

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 12:54   #1
nozamaman
VOC Member

Default 850GLT saloon for sale in Derby

For Sale Volvo 850GLT saloon first reg 25/08/95
2435cc 84K Aubergine grey interior car in Derby
I have photos if interested either pm me or
Email john.smith@volvoclub.org.uk vendor has given a price of £1200.00.
nozamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 22:55   #2
biggbn
I've Been Banned

I would like to make comment on this sale. I will be calling the lady concerned and discussing value but I suspect we will be to far apart, so rather than selfishly keep the info I have to myself, I would like to share it. This is a genuine one owner car and it looks wonderful in the pics John sent me. Short mot but checking mot history, it has barely had an advisory in last ten years. Unusual colour, manual box, leather trim, and we think a 10v 2.5 engine, so not particularly desirable spec, but probably one of the nicest cars out there for the money. Please note, I am only putting this together from info provided by op and pictures sent. Car seems honest and genuine. Like I said, I will be calling the seller over next few days but if anyone nearer gets to it first,.knock yourself out. I asked johns permission to comment on his ad and he was cool with it. This is a widow selling her husband's car and as such may be considered a sensitive sale. As I suggested with regards value, sentiment unfortunately, is a one way street, but I would ask, on behalf of seller and all concerned, genuine enquiries for what must be a difficult sale. Gbn
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 22:09   #3
biggbn
I've Been Banned

To add further to this ad. I spoke to Jane, the owner, tonight. She is a long term Volvo owner and knows these cars can be found for less money but has priced it so it goes to a 'conniseur who will appreciate it and not someone wanting to buy it cheap and sell it on' , her words. It is a difficult sale due to the circumstances mentioned in my first post. I have told her I will discuss it with my Mrs and get back with an offer, provisional on inspection. Will keep you all posted but again, if this is not for me I would suggest, on the first hand anectodal information I now have, this sounds like a good honest car and I did assure her tonight if I don't buy it I will give any help required to get it sold for her.
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 13:44   #4
mrdave2003
Premier Member

I had one exactly the same a few years ago, although not the quickest thing in the world (was quicker than the previous 740 2.0!), it looked pretty smart, a good colour to have and polishes up well.... if only I had space on the drive... and a more understanding wife Lol
mrdave2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 09:59   #5
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Guys I spoke to Jane this morning as I have, uncharacteristically, decided to be sensible. I will not be going ahead with this purchase as, as suspected, I think we are a fair bit apart on price. That said, the car sounds wonderful and if you are after an 850, I don't think you will go far wrong with this one. All the best to all concerned.

For what it's worth, my submission of value albeit only going on pictures and conversation is between 700-850 pounds. I know Jane will take 1100. As stated earlier though, genuine enquiries only please.
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 22:02   #6
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Heads up. This car now advertised on auto trader for £3950 so I think original price in initial advert must be disregarded. Jayne has taken advice of friends and believes this is best course of action, who knows?...hope she does well but apologies to those I put in touch with her, seems we all wasted our time!
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 23:16   #7
Richard_TD
Master Member

It's nice, maybe even £1100 nice, but it certainly isn't four grand nice. You could get a really good T5 or a decent R/T5-R for that kind of money.
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 23:28   #8
biggbn
I've Been Banned

I discussed value with owner and less than a week ago, she would have taken 1100 for it, I was stuck around 900 quid. Geniunely wish her all the best with sale, lovely lady and lifetime Volvo owner. But I agree. That's t5r money. Irony is, looking for her auto trader ad I noticed a clean t5 wagon much closer to me, which I intend enquiring about tomorrow!
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 21:18   #9
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
Heads up. This car now advertised on auto trader for £3950
More in hope than expectation, I fear, 'biggbn'. I thought that the original asking price, while pitched on the high side, was not totally unreasonable and allowed scope for a little negotiation. In the light of that, £1100 seemed an acceptable compromise. If I'd really wanted that car, I'd have seriously considered it at that figure. But then, unlike you, I am only just down the road from Derby!

Regards, John.
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 00:11   #10
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Agreed. I have found a one owner for 21 years 850 estate nearby, albeit with 190k miles and it is around £600. Viewing Thursday but fear Jane's car will always be the 'I wonder'one that got away!!