Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Have Volvo vehicles improved since being bought by Ford?Rating 1 to 6. (1 - Yes, 6 - No)

Views : 22789

Replies : 205

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Have Volvo vehicles improved since being bought by Ford?
Rating 1 to 6. (1 - Yes, 6 - No)
Yes, love 'em! 44 16.30%
I like some of the new models 107 39.63%
Could be better, but the XC90 is nice! 119 44.07%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 23:02   #11
imac
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740-estate-nut
If you want a real good car, something that will keep you going for a good few thousand miles, invest in a 740/760 or an early 940/960... a.
LOL.

No thanks, not the image/looks/interior/power/economy that I'm going for.

Like I said, I used to have a 740 and a 760, and the S60 is miles ahead in every single department.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 23:36   #12
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
If you want a real good car, something that will keep you going for a good few thousand miles, invest in a 740/760 or an early 940/960... a good one... spend about 4 grand (UK sterling) and you will have many MANY happy motoring years..
To be fair, i wouldnt pay anymore than £1k for any 740/60 or 940/60.

£4k can get you much more volvo than a 7/9 series a nice 850 (T5 maybe? not too up on 850 prices)
James_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 10:47   #13
5lab

you can get a t5 for under a grand if you hunt around
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 10:51   #14
5lab

Quote:
Let's look at your choices.. Fifteen years ago, Volvo and Saab were Swedish, and Jaguar was one of the best british marques around.. and Audi were outstanding german cars..
Now, Saab is now a GM company, you'd be better off with a Vauxhall Vectra
The Volvo s60 and the Jaguar X-type are the same car... (Ford Mondeo)
And the Audi A4 is just another name for a VW Passat...
If you want a real good car, something that will keep you going for a good few thousand miles, invest in a 740/760 or an early 940/960... a good one... spend about 4 grand (UK sterling) and you will have many MANY happy motoring years..
I myself have a 740 estate with a 2.4 TD engine.. nearly 200k on the clock and she's still going....
a few points..

audi and vw have been together for eons. the mk1 vw polo? started life as an audi (in fact, was even badged audi for a short time afaik)
the s60 is based on a completely different platform to the mondeo/xtype. in fact, no volvos, at all, are based on the mondeo platform (the s40/v50/c70 are based on the focus platform)
200k on the clock is not remarkable. i've had renault engined cars achieve that, as do many fords and skodas (have you looked at the milage of a minicab? 400k is not unusual). yes volvo made solid cars, but the fact your sig suggests you used to have a 740 but 'it died' suggests to me they're not that good.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 08:13   #15
dodgyken
Master Member

Any car is only as it good as its owner.

The best made cars can fail at early mileages if they are not maintained. I have seen an 8 year old Renault Laguna hit 160000 miles and only die because of the car keys being stolen - the thieves not knowing how to start the immobolized engine and the car being written off because the central locking would have cost more than the car is worth!!!

240s and 740s are examples of superb engineering - solid and safe for occupants even now - however the newer cars with their more dynamic chassis (which will hopefully get you out of an accident before it happens), a plethora of airbags, the tidy FWD packaging - still make ideal family cars.

Volvo is a brand who has adapted its image without ditching its core values - Volvos are now sexy - and profitable - how far removed from the late 80s is that?

We are all fond of certain models for certain reasons - I love my 740 but it is being pensioned off to a guy at work for free as it is being replaced by a 97 V70 T5 - only time will tell whether that is a good idea!!
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 17:16   #16
imac
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyken
We are all fond of certain models for certain reasons - I love my 740 but it is being pensioned off to a guy at work for free as it is being replaced by a 97 V70 T5 - only time will tell whether that is a good idea!!
The smile on your face when you first bury the throttle into the carpet is worth the asking price alone
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 20:05   #17
Kim G

I was horrified at Ford's taking over of Volvo. I just hope my '91 740 lives to 750km...

Volvo - boxy but good.

Ford - Found on road dead.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 21:32   #18
steveb

Hi all new to the forum
I to have owned various models from a 144,244,240,740 turbo to my latest v70t5 all have been trouble free so to speak,
Having worked in the Automotive business supplying parts to both VOLVO AND SAAB, (factorys across the road frm each other) My opinion is that yes there has been a change since GM, took over SAAB and FORD took over VOLVO But pride is what makes the difference. All manifacturers just assemble parts, mostly made by suppliers, you supply more or less the same parts to ALL manifacturers. The thing that makes the difference is the way that it is built and dedication to get it right. By the way the sweeds are absolute masters at getting you the supplier, supply only top quality parts that meet the spec.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 00:28   #19
John Davies
VOC Member

It all depends what you want a car to do. I am not bothered about looks, but reliability and comfort are most important. So for a long time 240's were tops for me, and now 740's and 940's reign.

In terms of reliability and parts cost per mile they are brilliant, but in terms of styling and finish they are never going to set the world alight.

The newer Volvo range can give BMW, Audi etc. a run for their money in terms of roadholding, comfort and performance but at a price - they are never going to make cheap runabouts ion the second hand market - they are too intricate and parts costs are horrendous. Perhaps there is a gap in the market for a robust, no frills, well made car aimed at the family and business motorist but I won't hold my breath waiting for someone to fill it.

So my 740 TD will just have to live forever.......and just might, if I have anything to do with it!

John Davies
John   Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 18:08   #20
hairyapple
Queer4Amazons

Default Ford's own brands are dissmal why would anyone

think that they could improve a Volvo, wouldn't they attempt to fix their own problems first? Any Volvo before front wheel drive is better than anything Ford could or would be willing to build. In the US they are losing ground in their strongest area, pickups to the Japs. It's saying a lot when
American Rednecks start looking to the people who brought you WW2 for their wheels.
hairyapple is offline   Reply With Quote