Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

sunroof install

Views : 1520

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2018, 13:31   #1
Kevin_L

Default sunroof install

Hi - I've decided it's time to get my 1970 144 going - it's been off road for a number of years.....

Not a priority job, but I'd like to fit a sunroof at some point in time

So.......what's a 'period' roof? A Webasto style? And is it possible? I don't even know if sunroofs were offered as a factory fit.

Any comments or suggestions will be gratefully received :-)

Kevin
Kevin_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 14:17   #2
eternal optimist
Master Member

Unless you want to swap the roof skin and fit a factory sliding steel sunroof from another car, my first reaction would be don't do it - but it's your car. If you don't want to do the roof swap (not as horrible as it seems) then the only other period correct sunroof is a Webasto folding fabric type.

If you fit a glass pop up hatch, then burning in hell is probably too good for you.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 17:03   #3
Kevin_L

thanks

1. roof skin swap - NO
2. burning in hell - NO
3. webasto - YES!!

so.....did these models ever have webasto from the factory? I'd assume not? Is there anything in the 'way' of such fitment? eg, any strengthening cross members across the roof skin (under the headlining) which might get in the way and more to the point shouldn't be cut in to!!
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 17:10   #4
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_L View Post
thanks

1. roof skin swap - NO
2. burning in hell - NO
3. webasto - YES!!

so.....did these models ever have webasto from the factory? I'd assume not? Is there anything in the 'way' of such fitment? eg, any strengthening cross members across the roof skin (under the headlining) which might get in the way and more to the point shouldn't be cut in to!!
Was looking for a smiley emoticon to put next to the 'burn in hell' comment but couldn't find one!

I don't know if they ever came that way from the factory, but Webasto's were a popular thing in the late 60's/70's. It's likely there is a cross member between the two B pillars. This would be cut and the loss of strength would be compensated by the steel frame that gets riveted (and bonded these days) to the perimeter of the hole cut in the roof. I remember looking at an article in an old edition of Car Mechanics where the editor had one fitted to his 1600E which did the same. Have a search online to see what you can find.

I have seen someone fit a modern MINI glass sliding sunroof in a VW - it looked superb, but it would be a lot easier to do a roof swap! That's just a matter of drilling out spot welds along the gutter and around the front and rear window frames.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 17:27   #5
Triple-S
How Old?

As people say the Volvo 164 shares its structure with the 140 range behind the windscreen, could that be a direction to research? They were an option on 164s for certain, but I don't know about 140s, however I have a dislike for Webasto's as they are prone to letting the damp in, also they can 'whistle' when driving hard. I hasten to add I'm not going to offer that from my 164 show-car (!), but I have a solid metal one from a scrapped 164 if you can get framing info from elsewhere.
However, from remembering the troubles we had in installing one decades ago it wasn't easy!

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 17:55   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I hate rainholes myself. They are nice in summer but other than those short 2 weeks the noise and water dripping on your head do spoil a car.

There have been many cars that I have not bothered to buy purely because of the rain hole. Webasto being the very worst case.

The factory rainhole is the steel Golde sunroof. They are not bad as far as rain holes go. The glass aftermarket ones would normally be ok for a short time before starting to leak.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 19:19   #7
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Looking at the factory-fitted chimney in my 164, the rear edge of the hole is a few inches behind the B-pillars, so I'd think there can't be any structural crossmembers in the way at that point.

It is probably possible to check, anyway, by pushing up on the headlining and feeling for any bumps behind it.

(Personally, I'd rather not have a chimney. I've never dared to open it in case I can never get it to seal again afterwards...)

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 19:55   #8
Triple-S
How Old?

Ditto pigeon - in all the cars I've had I've NEVER wanted to open a sunroof. If on the rare occasions the weather is kind I either borrow my sons Mazda MX and take the cloth top off, or get the motorbike out......

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2018, 10:48   #9
Kevin_L

interesting responses for which I thank you

ps when I say 'webasto' I'm using it as a generic sunroof of that type

A glass opening slider sounds good - I'm having one of those when I get my
XC60 or V90!!

I personally love sun roofs (isn't Volvo terminology 'moon roof') - I have a V70 with one, and so did my last one, and the ones before that! still cant beat AC though

Back to the matter in hand - i'll try to look at the strengthening but agree the roof opening bars would compensate

No to steel slider and aftermarket glass panels

I just need now to find a 'webasto' style (2nd hand) that doesn't cost a fortune!! fitment will be done by me :-)
Old May 1st, 2018, 17:05   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

There is a support beam across the B pillar..
On sunroof cars the strength comes from the sunroof framework.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote