Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manual or Auto - which do you prefer?

Views : 40197

Replies : 415

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: I prefer the following
Manual 328 44.93%
Automatic 402 55.07%
Voters: 730. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 00:55   #11
imac
Premier Member

I love automatic cars provided they are mated with a powerful (200bhp +) engine and the gearbox is semi decent and smooth! A 400bhp auto would be wonderful, a 60bhp auto would be my idea of automotive nightmare.

My S60 is manual, and its more "involving" than an auto. So it really is six for one and half a dozen for the other. I've owned both and like them equally.

I'm test driving a few cars next week, one being a geartronic S60R. Will let you know how that is as it would be an ideal compromise provided the manual section of it works as it should and isn't too laggy!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 00:55   #12
TheG
growl, woosh!

I've never driven what I would call a 'good' auto so I'm going to have to stick with manual, although I have to admit, it was tempting to get an auto when I got the T5 and just be lazy, but for back road fun, manual wins hands down
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 01:02   #13
imac
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheG View Post
I've never driven what I would call a 'good' auto so I'm going to have to stick with manual, although I have to admit, it was tempting to get an auto when I got the T5 and just be lazy, but for back road fun, manual wins hands down
I have to agree that the manual beats an auto for fun, but you do get a very good degree of control on most modern 5/6 speed auto's allowing you to force the car into a lower gear if you're having fun.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 01:40   #14
buddhaboy3

Smile Manual shift

Hello all! I prefer manual shift especially in my P1800! I love the engine rev as I leave a traffic light. It just seems appropriate in a sports car. Automatic is good especially if you are in stop and go traffic. I prefer it if I am driving in the UK as I am used to driving on the right over here. I drove standard last time I was there and trying to shift with left hand, stay on the left and manuvering the roundabouts was too stressful. Next time it will be automatic. Since most other former British colonies are right hand drive cars, except Gibraltar, ( we changed over in 1926) I cannot figure out why we had to change to be like our American neighours! I have even met one couple who think we drive on the left since we have HM on our money. I cannot imagine the Saint driving an automatic Volvo as he chases villains around, it just wouldn't be the same!

Andy
buddhaboy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 01:54   #15
Ross9
Master Member

It seems most people are saying pretty much the same thing.

Auto's are best for cruising around and ease of driving, I've had a Saab 2.3 Turbo auto, and a Lexus GS300 Auto with a 3.0 straight 6 in it, both were just a loan for a few weeks while the Rover was in having stuff done and did the job ok, the Lexus was just way too heavy to be fast, very much a cruiser, the Saab was better but still hardly set the world on fire lol

For "driving" you need a manual IMO, as Iain said, you have much more control, you get your gear when you want it, you get the engine braking, auto's tear brakes up more because you can't really engine brake in them, let off the throttle and theres much less drag etc.

So, in short.

For daily and "chore" driving, you want a nice auto, preferably a diesel for economy as well lol.

For fun driving, you want a light petrol turbo.

there is no perfect car, every one had their good and bad.

Ross
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 03:09   #16
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

After a coupl eof years commute in London I changed/looked for an auto when I got the 940.

Since the change I haven't looked back. Love it...

Certainly, dependant on the driving you do both have their advantages.
But as I am not track eventing or racing each day, it has to be auto...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 04:29   #17
minesa240x3
loyalty

Smile

give me a manual for fun and towing,as said i can feel when its right to change gear, going up hill with a caravan on the back with my old four speed 2.3 240 i knew just by the sound of the engine when to change to keep up the revs,now i have a 2.0l auto 240 it aint no fun,ok its got less power but it slows down to much before it changes gear thus loosing the momentum,so i have to iether lockout fourth gear or keep the damn thing reving higher trying not to raise the roadspeed to much making it change up to fourth again then its back to square one,
first auto i had was a rover P6 V8,now that was fun,wheelspins and amazing kickdown.me dad had a 3.0l granada ghia auto,sheer madness,doughnuts on dry tarmac,no wonder the sweeney had them!
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:03   #18
pigapumbu
Roary The Racing Car.

I have driven both types. I must say that in the autobox of Volvo, its never going to inspire. My preference is Manual anyday. Of course thats the ideal world where I would be the only driver of that car.

But in reality, since others will also be driving the car, then I would say an automatic with a manual box (like DSG in VW) is ideal. Best of both worlds. For the lazy, put in D and drive. For the keen driver, use it in manual mode "+" & "-".

The slush box just hasn't developed enough to captivate my liking. That said, one just has to try the new C30 manual T5 to realise how soft the clutch pedal is. I could not believe it. Gone are the days when the clutch was a huge effort and sitting in traffic aggravated the situation. Now with such a light feel to the clutch I can live with it for the 20% of my journey which would be in a jam.

Manual please.

eric
pigapumbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:46   #19
st5ve
S60 R

Auto verses Manual, very good poll and interesting to hear what other drivers opinions are. I have only recently driven autos and do find them a good drive. If you like to drive sporty all the time or majority of the time the manual is the best drive, autos come into there own in heavy traffic in town or motorway. I like my auto T5 it offers sporty and comfortable driving. I don’t miss the manual but if the auto was to develop a fault, that’s the time I wish I had a manual. All in all it depends on driver preference and of course the car, no point in having an auto box in a buzz box or an out and out sports car like an evo would not suit the auto. My preference has to be the auto for day to day driving but manual for more spirited driving.
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 12:04   #20
y2blade
Premier Member

having now owned both doubt i'd go back to a manual box on a VOLVO ,the auto box in my T5 is so much nicer than the manual box in my 850 20v
saying that
ive only had the auto for 2 weeks now maybe i'll feel differant about it in a few months,we'll see

i have no problem jumping between auto and manual cars
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote