Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine System Service - Urgent

Views : 8144

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2003, 16:48   #1
itbloke

What does this mean??

I have had this a number of times in the last week, followed by Stop safely and restart, and then Emission system service - urgent, and total loss of power, no throttle response blah, blah blah!

My dealer cleaned the throttle ass. but the day they delivered it back, I started the car, and guess what.....Engine System Service - Urgent.

Drove home that day the car was fine, next day after being left at the station car park all day, started the car, drove about 5 miles, then got the engine system message again, and no throttle response. Restarted, no problems, net day, started the car after leaving it all night, same message, same poor idle, what is going on - and what causes the message "Engine System Service - Urgent"...Oh, I forgot to mention, the car had just been serviced too....
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 21:38   #2
markas
VOC Member

Default RE: Engine System Service - Urgent

Take her back into the shop and have them pull the ECU codes that have been triggered by this irratic behaviour. The codes should normally be cleared when you had your service and the message is advisor and has identified there is a problem in more that one location.

mark
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 10:48   #3
itbloke

The RAC (part of the deal I did, but didn't realise it) are recovering the car again (third time now) and taking it back to the dealer in Birmingham, who have been very helpful all the way through this, but I did get Volvo involved at an early stage, so they are on their toes.

I'll keep the forum up to date as the what the outcome is, so maybe I could help someone else with the same problems.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 11:00   #4
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

itbloke

off topic , sorry, but which dealer are you using ? is it lex volvo on the bristol road by chance ??

if so the service manager there, Richard Carole, is more of an enthusiast than just a service manager. he sorted out a slight problem i had there when i had my turbo replaced, an excellent guy and the reason they will be getting my business again !!

cheers

scott
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 14:18   #5
markas
VOC Member

Itbloke and scott,

where are you guys from then, i thought Lex wasn't called that anymore as they sold that part of the business. I have a friend phil in parts who came from another delaership which lost its franchise :(

I am from dudley/brownhills/sutton how about you ?
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 14:43   #6
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

mark

i stand corrected, its now called beckland motor company, which is owned by pendragon javelin limited.

so your mate phil works at beckland ??

when i was talking to richard carole (think thats how its spelt) he was saying he wanted to get together with Driver and sort something out. well slap me with a wet kipper this month there it is, 10% off parts and accesories in the dealer guide section.

i can normally be found around the quinton, selly oak, west heath areas depending circumstances from week to week.

and congratulations on the BKV again.

later

scott
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 17:10   #7
itbloke

Hi - yes it is Beckland, and I have spoken to Richard Carroll on many occasions and he has been more than helpful, which I can safely say about everyone there.

The car has just been recovered by the RAC and has reached Becklands, and I have let them know that the fault may be with the ABS control unit, which can send erroneous messages to the ECU which then cuts power, as it would with STC, since they share the control unit.

So they are looking into this as well as a possible faulty coolant sensor - all this from VVSPY, so I'll keep everyone (who is interested) posted on the results.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 20:56   #8
simon_spanswick

Exactly the same thing happened to me on Thursday night last week in Belgium, en route to Germany! The car had recently had a new control unit fitted to correct error messages such as "STC Service Required" and "ABS Service Required". I thought it had cured all the problems, but as I was driving the car was hiccuping ever so slightly.

At 2200, the dashboard lit up like a Christmas Tree and said stop safely and restart. I tried that, attempted to climb a gentle incline on the motorway and got nowhere fast! Cruised on to the hard shoulder, evacuated the car of my wife and 7 year old son, and called those wonderful people at Europ Assistance. They towed us to Cologne and the next day I went to the Volvo garage where they diagnosed a faulty "Drosselklappengehauser" (P/N 8644347). They say it's a common fault on the S80...

Luckily, they had one in stock (not usually the case in the UK...) and the car was fixed and ran back (at speed) to the UK on Sunday.

Looking through the S80 Forum, I see there was a similar problem that someone had...
<quoute>All's well I have now got the car back and the dealer ( Rybrook volvo at Warrington)have replaced the accelarator module and relevant sotware and various other items all under warranty and it has not cost me a penny after 24 hours the car seems to be running ok.<endquote>...the warranty covers it (I'm sending my invoice in to the Volvo Administration department tomorrow).

Good luck!