Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fitted the Parking Sensors to the V70 today.

Views : 892

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 21:30   #1
pictureimage

Default Fitted the Parking Sensors to the V70 today.

Hi,

Fitted 2 sets of parking sensors today, firstly a genuine Ford set the '07 C-Max we've had for 6 months, they've been in box for 5 months so finally thought it was time to fit them. Not a bad job took about 2 hours, no need to take the bumper off so nice and easy....

Then after lunch, I found another set originally bought for a Toyota but seemed nothing manufacturer specific so thought they'd go nicely on the V70 I bought before Christmas. Whilst a bit more challenging than the Ford it wasn't too tricky, just the task of removing the rear bumper.

I think in my case it was just remove a rivet from each of the rear inner arches then undo the 5(?) bolts on the inside of the rear load space.

Some of these were hidden behind sticky foam but it's fairly easy to find them although some long sockets with flexible joints in them definitely made the task easier.

Once the bumper was off was simply a cast of measuring and marking out, we spaced them at 17 5/8" which seemed to be good spacing for 4 sensors.

Then drilled the holes and tied the cables into the bumper plastic making as good a job as possible. Had to then drill a hole in the back of the car to get the 4 cables through, this is where we found that Volvo has the hardest steel known to man!

Anyway once the hole was drilled we fed the cables through and plugged them into the control box for the system. We located the sounder inside the housing where the rear right speaker is located as there is a perfect space for it. We then simply fed the wire behind the plastic and plugged into the control box.

We situated the control box near to what we assume is the connector for the tow bar and located the reverse lamp cable and joined our box into this (the thin blue wire), then once earthed to suitable metal work we tested the system. Perfect...

All in all a bit harder than the C-Max but if you've got the right tools it's not too taxing at all.

Afterwards we were looking at some trade press and found these which are remarkably simple to what we fitter and can recommend them. The don't seem bad a £50 with a choice of colours. My V70 is dark blue so fitted black sensors and to be honest you can't tell really...

Hopefully I've attached a few pics of the work in progress.

C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-1.jpg (354.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg photo-2.jpg (227.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg photo-3.jpg (183.5 KB, 89 views)
pictureimage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pictureimage For This Useful Post: