Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Overdrive problems

Views : 868

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2013, 18:32   #1
tom the teapot

Default Overdrive problems

Hi everyone, me again!

I have a few slight issues with the old beast at the moment if anyone can help that would be great, I have recently changed my engine and clutch in the car and since then overdrive hasn't worked, having only done 25 miles or so without a fault I just assumed that I had pulled a wire out and would fix it later....

So I was on my way up the motorway at about 70 in 4th when out of the blue, overdrive turned itself on and wouldn't dis engage, so I carried on as normal.

I pulled over to get petrol and when pulling off, 1st was good, 2nd slipped, and 3rd slipped then went into overdrive and 4th was stuck in overdrive again. So I headed back home with these symptoms continuing, I pulled out the wires from the unit thinking there may be a short in a wire, but no difference.

It seems as though the overdrive is coming in and out whenever it wants and not quite engaging in every gear. Reverse occasionally works but will often just slip.

I have it at home and have pulled off the solenoid which was a bit of a mess and smells of electrical death but have got it working, but with it off the car still mis behaves.

Any ideas what the fault is and where to go next?

Many thanks, Tom
tom the teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 18:38   #2
tom the teapot

woops! just realised that I have posted this in the wrong place, could anyone move it over if possible?
Old May 3rd, 2013, 18:45   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

The next move is to put this in the technical section unless your problem is forcing you to sell.
Make sure the OD is OUT before putting the geabox into reverse. Sounds like I might be a bit late with that warning but it can/will cause major damage.
Beyond saying that, a short in the OD wiring might be giving you intermittant functioning it's difficult to diagnose on what you've given as symptoms.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 19:02   #4
tom the teapot

Yes if it could be put into the technical section that would be great. Ah, major damage may have occoured, is it best to get the over drive out and sent off somewhere than repair it?

Many thanks, Tom