Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

s60 Loud pop / bang then black smoke and chugging/misfiring

Views : 1403

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2016, 13:02   #1
slappinbass

Default s60 Loud pop / bang then black smoke and chugging/misfiring

Hi, new to the site today.
I bought my S60 D5, 03 plate with high mileage of 193k but loads of history and all motorway miles. ( Private, sold as seen ) , drove lovely on test drive and to work and back for two days, then this morning within a mile of home under normal acceleration I heard a loud pop / bang and black smoke pouring out of the exhaust followed by the car chugging / jumping / misfiring etc. I pulled in and stopped engine then restarted, it ticked over and revved fine, so pulled away again but had loads of black smoke and the rough engine again, so limped it back home. not sure where to start, I thought Turbo but when I explained to a friend, he immediately said an Injector had gone.
Has anyone had the same scenario or have any idea's as to where I can start getting to bottom of this, garage or main dealer is not a financial option.
My mate is popping round when he finishes work with his snap on diagnostic machine but just trying to get a start....
Any help advice would be greatly appreciated....... Regards ... Ant
slappinbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 13:20   #2
genie

Check the intercooler to turbo pipework carefully. Sounds like a split feed pipe into the turbo = no power & lots of black smoke.
genie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to genie For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2016, 13:26   #3
slappinbass

Thanks will take a look, yeah engine jumps and chugs like its misfiring with plenty of black smoke, appreciate your reply, thankyou
Old May 11th, 2016, 13:55   #4
slappinbass

Right, the inercooler pipe on right hand side as we face the front of the car had blown off, so I fixed it back in place, tightened it up and test drove the car.
Within 1/2 a mile it blew off again.
Any ideas ?????
Old May 11th, 2016, 14:27   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

Blown/clogged intercooler maybe?
Have a look underneath for a bowed bottom or oozing fins.

There are many D5 maintenance videos in my signature which are worth you looking through.
You may be suffering from huge overboost which can be caused by a sticking boost solenoid near the starter motor or stuck VNT vanes so if you have a vacuum tester, get that on the VNT actuator.

Take your mate for a drive with live data running on his snap on and get map readings at engine off, ignition on and out on the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2016, 15:33   #6
slappinbass

Thanks cheshired5.
the car is hardly driveable once pipe blows off but will give it a go, will certainly take a look at the vids, and check out all you have suggested, many thanks and will post updates as I work through it....Cheers .. Ant
Old May 11th, 2016, 18:17   #7
slappinbass

Found a large split in rubber / silicone hose imediately prior to turbo on intake side, so this has to be replaced first, hopefully that's the problem..... Ant
Old May 14th, 2016, 09:57   #8
slappinbass

New hose fitted, and all good, car drives great so presuming the split had caused overboost causing the intercooler inlet pipe to blow off, any way, a big thankyou to the guys who responded, you where a great help and very much appreciated, ............. Ant
Old May 15th, 2016, 19:22   #9
BigE

Smile

Thanks for this thread/post, I had a similar issue today just as I was joining the bypass, muffled pop then clouds of black smoke. Called for recovery but whilst in the lay by I looked on the Forum, checked the pipes and instructed recovery driver on what to check for ..... Fixed in 10 mins after arrival of recovery driver.
This is such a great resource..... Thank you guys so much

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigE For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2016, 11:23   #10
slappinbass

Default Turbo sounds like it has a dump valve now

Ever since the issue with the FRESH AIR PIPE prior to turbo splitting and causing massive over boost, blowing off intercooler inlet pipe, under acceleration, when foot is lifted off throttle to change up I now get a pshhhtt sound as though I have a racing type dump valve fitted, any ideas ?????