Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fault 2900 and 135f

Views : 4195

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2016, 18:48   #1
osullivant

Default Fault 2900 and 135f

Just fitted new turbo cartridge, timing belt and 20 tappets and rockers, enine sounds so much better but two faults appear once I rev aboue 3000 rpm or so.

fuel pressure sensor and Maf sensor, I do not have vida but an old bsr code reader.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what would cause these two codes... or a way to test the wiring to the sensors as these connections and wiring both seem a bit flimsey.

also everytime I turn on the ignition the turbo vane control motor (I do not know the proper name) buzzs a little and moves slightly. is this normal, could the turbo vanes be installed in the wrong position.

Tony.
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 19:56   #2
5cilinder
Premier Member

Cotrol motors do callibrate after shutdown that normal . and with no codes of them no worries

Concerning the 2 other codes i suspect wiring because you worked in the area and the sensor wiring is crap . had several broken myself
You can easily see if its cut on the end but if its midway (not likely) then you need to do an ohm measurement at the sensor end an ecu socket pinout at the other end .
I can look up the pin numbers if needed
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 20:30   #3
osullivant

yes

I suspect wiring issue. will try re moving and refitting ecu connections if no success I will ask you for pin numbers so i can check....

thanks.
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 20:52   #4
5cilinder
Premier Member

Better check wiring at the sensor sockets
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 21:12   #5
osullivant

thanks,,, that was my fist port of call both seem ok...

have refitted all connections now and cleared codes, off for some fuel and drive a few miles just to clear out any remaining gunk and remind myself why I bought the money pit......

fingers crossed...

tony
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 22:25   #6
osullivant

just took her out for a run.

Loses power and engine service message illuminates. at higher revs it feels fine in lower gears.

on main road she drives really roughly until 2000 revs and then at about 120kph she just sails along smoother and quieter than I ever heard her.

cleared the codes and drove nicely on motorway until the top of the off ramp when again the fault reappears.

open to all suggestions.

are either of these sensors the same as on the 163 2002 s60 d5?
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 23:08   #7
younger06
Volvo Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by osullivant View Post
just took her out for a run.

Loses power and engine service message illuminates. at higher revs it feels fine in lower gears.

on main road she drives really roughly until 2000 revs and then at about 120kph she just sails along smoother and quieter than I ever heard her.

cleared the codes and drove nicely on motorway until the top of the off ramp when again the fault reappears.

open to all suggestions.

are either of these sensors the same as on the 163 2002 s60 d5?

I'm suffering the exact same symptoms. If I thread gently my D5 has no problem getting up to 140kmh even 160kmh and when it's there it feels smoother and quiter then ever.......but I can't accelerate hard, particularly in higher gears (3rd and above)
When I open the door (keyless) and I assume the canbus powers up the systems, I get a rapid clicking sound for a few seconds (in and around the bulkhead)

I'm assuming this clicking is either the actuator motor or throttle body flap motor ???
Old Jun 17th, 2016, 12:05   #8
5cilinder
Premier Member

if you have potential fuelpressure issues than that could give problems when much fuel is needed for power
The smoothness on lower speeds can be explained by the injectors being opened longer to compensate for lower fuelpressure to get the fuel in needed , when the fuel is more smudged out on the crankangle of the powerstroke there is less pressurespike hence noise and vibrations (at the cost of extra fuelconsumption and hotter exhaust)

Last edited by 5cilinder; Jun 17th, 2016 at 12:21.
Old Jun 17th, 2016, 22:11   #9
osullivant

Thanks for the replies todate,

The Sensor code appears immediately on switching on the car and cannot be cleared. whilst the maf fault only appears after the car has ran for a while, my current thoughts are that there is a leak in the system causing the maf to complain I will explore this in more detail tomorrow or the day after.

as for the fuel sensor, I checcked wiring back to the ecu plug and all seem to be fine, I removed the sensor and it has 23ohms accross the two outside pins the middle pin seems connected to nothing and none of the pins seem to be connected to the body of the sensor. I cannot check it in position because of the restrictions in space, to do so I would need to cut the loom or find a connection on a scrap car to fit.

Question , does the fault code indicate a failed sensor or a good sensor reading an unacceptable amount of pressure.?

I would like to double check if the sensor is duff before I pay for a new one...

regards,

Tony.
Old Jun 17th, 2016, 23:40   #10
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by younger06 View Post
I'm suffering the exact same symptoms. If I thread gently my D5 has no problem getting up to 140kmh even 160kmh and when it's there it feels smoother and quiter then ever.......but I can't accelerate hard, particularly in higher gears (3rd and above)
When I open the door (keyless) and I assume the canbus powers up the systems, I get a rapid clicking sound for a few seconds (in and around the bulkhead)

I'm assuming this clicking is either the actuator motor or throttle body flap motor ???
do you have DTC (codes)