Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Interior screws and fixings

Views : 264

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2021, 07:48   #1
Challo

Default Interior screws and fixings

Due to a coolant leak I had to remove the carpet, and some of the trim from the drivers side. Now I’m starting to put it back together I have noticed that I’m missing some of the screws / fixings to hold the plastic panels in place.

For example the knee roll I removed under the steering wheel is only held on with 2 screws and a plastic fixing so it hangs down. Also the centre arm rest lid is missing the standard screws so I found some in my garage but are the wrong size.

Did Volvo use a standard set of screws / fixings for the interior and can you buy replacements today?
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 08:05   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Your best bet Chris is to make a list of which screws you need, what they secure and where exactly and get yourself along to your friendly local Volvo dealer so they can find the parts you need and show you the pretty pictures on the parts files (on computer) so you can confirm which you actually need.

Then wait for a fortnight as they will likely have to come from GCP in Sweden.......... won't be cheap either!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 09:53   #3
Forrest
VOC Member

I use a different approach. Provided I have one of the originals I measure it with a vernier calliper and buy the closest approximation from eBay or other suitable online retailer.

The main things to check are length and gauge. For the closest match also consider head dimensions and type; most are pan-head torx T20 or T25. There is also a distinction in the thread between those designed to screw into soft plastic, hard plastic or metal.

This approach has worked well for me across both Volvo and VW restorations. It also presents an opportunity to upgrade. For example, on two of my Volvos I have replaced the 4.8 x 32 screws that hold the front air guide to the bottom of the radiator with almost identical stainless steel alternatives which will be less inclined to rust.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 11:56   #4
Challo

Thanks. Im going to start to make a list of the missing ones and then see if I have an original screw/fixing to check the sizing buy one similar.

There isn't loads missing but enough to mean some of the plastics arent held in place properly.
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 13:05   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
For the closest match also consider head dimensions and type; most are pan-head torx T20 or T25.

This one is a 740, not a 940 - hardly any Torx fasteners! Mostly any self-tappers will be 3.6 x19 Pan Pozi but given that Chris has had so much of the interior out and knowing there are a variety of different screws (the armrest cover hinge screws for example), what i suggested is the only logical way really.

Normally i would have suggested exactly what you did (hence knowing most are 3.6 x 19) but because i also have a good idea what other trim has to come out having added soundproofing and changed the carpets in mine, i know there's a variety of fixings in there. Sometimes even on the same piece of trim there are different types of screw - self-tappers and machine screws, turn-button fixings and so on.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: