Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cruise control not working

Views : 1186

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2023, 10:31   #1
Clark
850R+240GLT = Happiness

Talking Cruise control not working

After taking my new estate on its first motorway run after some maintenance it turns out the cruise control doesn't work. Is this a common failure? I'd like to get it fixed as I got it used to it in my old 850R. This and the sunroof - add them onto the list haha.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2023, 10:57   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Is your car manual or auto? What year? What model? Reason for asking is that the CC works very differently on the later cars with ETM, and also with the manual, the clutch switch is a favourite point of failure.
Old May 22nd, 2023, 11:55   #3
Clark
850R+240GLT = Happiness

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Is your car manual or auto? What year? What model? Reason for asking is that the CC works very differently on the later cars with ETM, and also with the manual, the clutch switch is a favourite point of failure.
Hi Luxo,

It's a 1996 auto estate 850R. Thanks for your help.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2023, 17:49   #4
richmac

Hi Clark,

Yes, it's common for it to fail although it's quite a simple sytem so not hard to fix.

I've had the two easiest problems/fixes:

1. Brake pedal switch - a simple pluger switch on the brake pedal that can become dislodged or wear out. Sometimes diagnosed by lifting the brake pedal with your toes whilst engaging cruise. The switch is cheap and easy to replace from within the footwell.

2. Relay - the big red twin relay under the engine fuse box (driver's side). This manifested itself as intermittent operation for me.

After that, you're looking at the vacuum system. Belows in the footwell, tubing from the vacuum tree and the dedicated vacuum pump under the battery.

I've attached a Volvo doc for the system.

CruiseControlSystem.pdf

Best of luck,

Rich.
richmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to richmac For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2023, 22:04   #5
Luxobarge
Premier Member

^^^WHS^^^
Richmac just beat me to it, but those are exactly the areas I'd check first. Not a clutch pedal switch of course, as you don't have one being an auto, but all those other areas are the ones to go for.

Cheers
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 12:29   #6
Buck Rarebit

Default 2004 V70 D5 Manual 199k

Sorry if I'm supposed to create my own thread but this is my first time The cruise control button on my old bus has just stopped working completely. Press it and there's nothing, would anyone care to point me in the right direction please?
Buck Rarebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 12:58   #7
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Rarebit View Post
Sorry if I'm supposed to create my own thread but this is my first time The cruise control button on my old bus has just stopped working completely. Press it and there's nothing, would anyone care to point me in the right direction please?
Suggest you post in the correct section, this is for V70 up to 1999 only, and there are probably significant differences in the systems, as yours has a very different engine.
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 02:21   #8
Craigtange

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmac View Post
Hi Clark,

Yes, it's common for it to fail although it's quite a simple sytem so not hard to fix.

I've had the two easiest problems/fixes:

1. Brake pedal switch - a simple pluger switch on the brake pedal that can become dislodged or wear out. Sometimes diagnosed by lifting the brake pedal with your toes whilst engaging cruise guide at notworkingsolution. The switch is cheap and easy to replace from within the footwell.

2. Relay - the big red twin relay under the engine fuse box (driver's side). This manifested itself as intermittent operation for me.

After that, you're looking at the vacuum system. Belows in the footwell, tubing from the vacuum tree and the dedicated vacuum pump under the battery.

I've attached a Volvo doc for the system.

Attachment 148196

Best of luck,

Rich.
ok. this is a issue I have had for a long time and decided it is time to fix it. I have the set the control at 60 and as I do that the cruise has a mind of its own and increases to 67 or 68 then remains there and the car is now going 67 or 68. so followed clarks garage instructions took the servo out of the car took it apart cleaned the track on the circuit board cleaned the 2 arms that ride on the tract put it back no difference . ok order a used one on ebay put it in the car works for 1 ride only 3 to 4 mph faster then what I set it at. ok take it for another ride same as 1st problem 6 to 7 mph over the setting. take it out clean this one put it back same thing 6 to 7 over . is there any other thing that I can check to stop this issue.
Craigtange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 08:33   #9
Luxobarge
Premier Member

@Craig - what model do you have? Year, engine size/type etc. please, as the cruise works completely differently on the later models.
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 15:10   #10
sdg1970
Master Member

Mine hadn't worked (97 V70R) for a good few months, last time I remember it working was in the Summer. After perusing this thread last night I tested it on my way to work this morning and oddly it was working again without problems. Go figure.....
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote