Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440 Fuel Gauge Fault

Views : 2052

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 21:52   #1
JAMES FRASER

I have a 'K' reg 440 1.8I which has a fault with the fuel gauge. No matter how much fuel is in the tank, the gauge will only move a fraction from zero (the fuel warning light extinguishes, however). The sender unit has been tested and is ok. After speaking to the dealer, he suggested that there are two problem earth points on this model which can cause this fault. Both of these were dismantled, checked & cleaned with no improvement. He also suggested that both the gauge itself and the printed circuit on the instruments can cause problems. Both of these have been replaced with no improvement. I am now out of ideas. I suspect there may be a high resistance in the circuit but where? Anyone had this fault or can suggest anything else I can try, I will be most grateful! Thanks in anticipation.
Old Jul 1st, 2002, 23:05   #2
Paul Clifton
Paul Clifton

Default RE: 440 Fuel Gauge Fault

Have you replaced the printed circuit 'film' or the solid printed circuit board bacause it is usually the board that plays up.
Paul.

A man's knowledge can never outweigh his experience.
Paul Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2002, 23:09   #3
Paul Clifton
Paul Clifton

Default RE: 440 Fuel Gauge Fault

Have you replaced the printed circuit 'film' or the solid printed circuit board because it is usually the board that is faulty.
The other teat is to disconnect the sender wire at the tank and earth it if the gauge then goes to full (don't hold it there too long)the problem is with the tank unit if not the fault is with the gauge circuit.

Paul.

A man's knowledge can never outweigh his experience.
Paul Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2002, 23:17   #4
JAMES FRASER

I have swapped the whole instrument cluster from a car that was known to be ok!
Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:32   #5
Cougar 27

Im not sure if you car has the digital fuel gauge but I solved
the problem with the 480 speedometer after many nights of cursing at it !. (this may be the cause of your problem)

Some owners have changed the speedometer housing and the sensors
and still have the same fault.

I have pin-pointed the fault to be a dry soldering joint on the wiring harness socket connections on the rear of the speedometer
housing ....after trying everything else !.

The problem I had was my needle held for a short while before dropping back to zero, if I 'tapped' the housing hard enough it would display the speed again but only for a short while.....

But getting back to your point ..........

It was very strange because not only did I get the speedometer working my Fuel Range has changed, when I filled up I had 200 miles on my range. After the repair I have 300 ???? dry joint ???? …….