Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Tyre Poll

Views : 54179

Replies : 220

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What should volvo's policy be for spare tyres in new cars?
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a full size spare should be supplied 297 38.87%
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a space save spare should be supplied 440 57.59%
tyre sealant and breakdown cover are sufficient - space should be maximised for cargo 44 5.76%
attach spare to the outside of the car (requiring design change and possible other issues) 7 0.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 764. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 20th, 2011, 17:04   #21
jimbg
Master Member

Further update:-

Dear Mr G

I regret that it will not be possible to order the tempa spare wheel as an accessory either in the near future. This part will cease to be available either during manufacture or afterwards.

Jo Howard
Customer Support Manager
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 18:25   #22
844PHW
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbg View Post
Had a response from an email to Volvo :-

Thank you for your e-mail.

I can confirm that Volvo Car Corporation have taken the decision to delete the tempa spare wheel option from all carlines. This will apply for all vehicles manufactured from week 27 2011 (4th July).

..... a number of reasons.....

At this time, this is a permanent change and there are no indications when or even if this decision will be reversed. I am sorry I could not respond more positively however I hope I have explained the reasons for this decision.

Jo Howard
Customer Support Manager
As it says, there are "a number of reasons". I remain unconvinced that the change is necessary and unavoidable and that all the reasons have been stated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 844PHW For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 14:15   #23
garjon

Default tempa spare wheel

Had I not been able to specify a spare wheel , albeit a spacesaver, I would not have proceeded with the purchase of my XC60
garjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 18:21   #24
Ransman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garjon View Post
Had I not been able to specify a spare wheel , albeit a spacesaver, I would not have proceeded with the purchase of my XC60
It certainly is a huge factor in the purchasing decision for me as well.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 19:23   #25
844PHW
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garjon View Post
Exactly my position as well. (A fullsize spare would have been even better of course).
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 22:29   #26
robbieglyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 844PHW View Post
Exactly my position as well. (A fullsize spare would have been even better of course).
Very interesting folks - I've had my V60 two days and just realised I have no hope of getting any sort of spare wheel - I'm a 'senior' motorist and am extremely reluctant to have to agree to motor without a 'spare' it goes against all my driving experience of some 57 years! Is there nothing we can do to put this right.
robbieglyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 22:39   #27
Ransman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieglyn View Post
Very interesting folks - I've had my V60 two days and just realised I have no hope of getting any sort of spare wheel - I'm a 'senior' motorist and am extremely reluctant to have to agree to motor without a 'spare' it goes against all my driving experience of some 57 years! Is there nothing we can do to put this right.
If enough people contact customer services they will surely have to listen. I feel that they are only really "dipping their toe in the water" at the moment to test the reaction. It's worth contacting them direct.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 23:01   #28
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieglyn View Post
i think anyone who is really bothered about this should contact a consumer rights group. this is a trend throughout the industry. it's not just particular to volvo.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 01:40   #29
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs View Post
i think anyone who is really bothered about this should contact a consumer rights group. this is a trend throughout the industry. it's not just particular to volvo.

Its pretty poor, I agree and probably a cost cutting exercise regards a lack of spare wheels.

However not sure that its a consumer right to have a spare wheel..!!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 20:02   #30
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Its pretty poor, I agree and probably a cost cutting exercise regards a lack of spare wheels.

However not sure that its a consumer right to have a spare wheel..!!
it's might be a bread and butter initiative to an organisation like "which?". they love this kind of thing. they often tackle whole industries on new trends. there would have to be a justification of course, e.g. this trend may be considered a safety issue - not that i'd stand up in a room and argue that point myself. that said, with the on-going shortage of rubber, the car industry may have a point to make. they could easily play the eco card, rightly or wrongly.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote