Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Engine System Service Required" error on a D5

Views : 1233

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2013, 16:32   #1
JohnDeere8530

Default "Engine System Service Required" error on a D5

On the newly acquired 2008 65k mile Xc70, I've just had this error come up (100miles from getting it). Engine performance is not affected. It has full volvo s/h apart from the most recent service which was supposidely done at the dealership (Jag) where I bought it from last week. However it seems they just stamped book as oil is not clean, it didnt need one until May anyway according to the book

Anyone any ideas what this could mean ?

Last edited by JohnDeere8530; Mar 31st, 2013 at 17:26.
JohnDeere8530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 16:52   #2
JohnDeere8530

just had a quick look on here. It could be anything, but engine oil level seems the most obvious cause, however have checked this, it is 3/4 approx the way up the xxxx section of the dipstick.

Im quite a way from a dealer, would going to say halfords and getting them to put their scanner on it foc to read the problem help ? (as I could make out that I am asking them for a quote to recitfy the potential prob)

The MOT suggests that since last May or so, it has done little or no mileage, ie it may of been sat about. A clue to the cause ?

Also thinking about it, I ran the car almost out of fuel (said 20miles left), filled it up with normal diesel yesterday and the light came on more or less straight away. Maybe it has sucked up some dirt from bottom of tank ? Coincidence or not?

Anyone any ideas ?

Last edited by JohnDeere8530; Mar 31st, 2013 at 17:54.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 13:51   #3
brough

Fuel cap back on correctly?, if loose it can put up warnings.
I had similar problem when I bought mine from a none Volvo dealer, the oil was filled to the top mark and after a week of owning it the "Engine system service required" came up. I drained 1/2 L of oil out and it took about 10 days for warning to go away.
brough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 14:04   #4
tt82
Forum Support Team

Without having it read to see what error codes come up, it's quite hard to say what it could be.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 14:35   #5
JohnDeere8530

...yes but would the average garage with a scanner, say Halfords be able to read the code correctly or do I need to get it booked in with a volvo garage?
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 21:34   #6
JohnDeere8530

took it to indie dealer and diagnosed it as too much oil ! It was only 3/4 up the xxx mark on dipstick, he sucked out literally 0.25lt and all is well. He even turned my day running lights off all for a tenner !
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnDeere8530 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 10:22   #7
s1monc

I have a 58 plate V70 D5 and everytime Volvo serviced it it would then come up a day later with the same warning message you had. I would ring them up and get them to come & collect the car and they would drain some oil out !
On the last service they had a bulletin to say this is a problem and now they have put a new mark on the dipstick so the car is never filled to the old max mark anymore and don't get this error coming up now, its a very common thing on this model.

Simon.
s1monc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 14:07   #8
JohnDeere8530

I asked why this feature was implemented as it gives the impression that Volvos are unreliable as the warning lights keep coming on.This could affect future sales, ie very bad PR. Mechanic said on older versions there were problems caused by too much oil, ie engine damage. Whether true or not I dont know.
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 15:27   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDeere8530 View Post
I asked why this feature was implemented as it gives the impression that Volvos are unreliable as the warning lights keep coming on.This could affect future sales, ie very bad PR. Mechanic said on older versions there were problems caused by too much oil, ie engine damage. Whether true or not I dont know.
It seems the car hasnt seen a dealer for a while ,there were several recalls for this and Engine control unit software updates . when you next change the oil put EXACTLY 5.5 litres back in and you won't have a problem ...
Also keep an eye on the Aux belt tensioner ,there was a recall for these too and they should be changed at 36000 or 54000 miles depending on model year . These complex cars really need a dealers knowledge to look at them now and again as they know whats going on .