Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Filler Nozzle Width Trap"

Views : 585

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2017, 16:05   #1
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Default "Filler Nozzle Width Trap"

Firstly, have a look at Evgeny's latgest XC70 mod video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg2m...em-subs_digest

Now, can anyone explain to me what this mod would do for me? Why does Evgeny need to remove it from his D5? I run a diesel D5, so does my car have this as his is a Canadian spec car. And if it does have it, does it do something for me that I would lose if I removed it? Anyone understand the implications of this mod?

Last edited by Tatsfield; Mar 30th, 2017 at 17:39. Reason: Edit to remove inaccuracy about Evgeny's car.
Tatsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 20:03   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

It is used to prevent you putting the petrol nozzle from a fuel station in by accident,

Unless you regularly fill your car from a fuel can, its a complete waste of time
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 21:15   #3
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Having once put petrol into a diesel hire car I can say that the big nozzle/small nozzle strategy protects petrol cars from getting diesel but doesn't protect diesel cars from getting petrol, which is the worse of the two nightmares. The diesel nozzle is bigger than the petrol so what does this restrictor do for a diesel? How does a restriction keep a small nozzle out and let a big one in? I don't understand Volvo and I don't understand Evgeny! Am I missing something here? I never had one of those plastic funnel things and I can't understand what it is for.
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 22:20   #4
Rooster
Speed freak

It is for the later cars that don't have a fuel cap but have a misfuel protector that prevents petrol nozzels from fitting and the plastic thing is used so car can be filled with a can,

All new volvo's from about 15M/Y come with one in the boot, clear one for diesels and black one for petrols,

The earleir car as featured in youtube vid won't have one of those plastic things from factory but the nozzle is still there to try and prevent you from putting a petrol filler into it
Old Mar 31st, 2017, 16:31   #5
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I still don't understand how this works on a diesel where the diesel nozzle is wider than the petrol nozzle. How does the trap stop something narrower than the diesel nozzle from going through an aperture wider than the diesel nozzle without stopping a diesel nozzle?
Old Mar 31st, 2017, 23:32   #6
Rooster
Speed freak

Basically one of these

http://solodieselmisfuellingpreventi...k/misfuelling/
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 08:46   #7
Paul Cretu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
I still don't understand how this works on a diesel where the diesel nozzle is wider than the petrol nozzle. How does the trap stop something narrower than the diesel nozzle from going through an aperture wider than the diesel nozzle without stopping a diesel nozzle?
I hope I am right in saying that when inserting the wider diesel those two black plastic hooks disengage a protection mechanism that will allow the trap metal plate to open. The narrower petrol nozzle is not wide enough to push back both clips at the same time. I'll try to push it in with just my finger and if it doesn't open then my theory holds water
Paul Cretu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Cretu For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 09:01   #8
JRL
Master Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one that couldn't work out what Evgeny was on about!
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 20:01   #9
Tatsfield
Premier Member

OK, now2 I understand. Why would Evgeny want to remove a safety system? What could he hope to achieve by allowing thin petrol nozzles to open the trap? If his problem is with the rare occasions when he might have to use a can, that's what the little adaptor is for!