Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tortoise on my dashboard - what the hec is going on?

Views : 20601

Replies : 95

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2015, 18:11   #41
Arianne
Premier Member

Hang on guys, Mrs A has called 'dinner'. I'll be back to answer your questions after family roast.
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 18:21   #42
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Drove it today and it's running fine. Nothing of note except.......

After a brief shut-down while we walked to a café in a nearby village to take coffee on a return trip from Edinburgh, there was a new message on the re-start. This time it is a symbol of a spanner and the message reads something like ......hang, on - I'll nip out and take a look so I get this right, since she's on the drive.

Back soon!

Arianne
Apparently there is an ISO standard for symbols that manufacturers should adhere to.
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 18:29   #43
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Found an alternative web site for it's meaning......

Quote:
Turtles, like all dream symbols, have a multitude of meanings. And just like all dream symbols, the best interpretation of the turtle's meaning will come from your own intuition and ideas. To get you jump started, there are a few ideas that leap (or is that creep?) to mind when a turtle dream has you stumped.

Intellectual Tortoise

An intellectual tortoise? It's more than just assonance since the turtle often appears in dreams as a symbol of wisdom. In Indian mythology the turtle is the an creature in which souls wait on their way to Nirvana, and since usually wisened souls make it to Nirvana, that may be the way in which that became synonymous with the intellect.

Or it may be simpler than that--with their wrinkled faces and upturned mouths that appear to be a sly smile, it seems turtles look like creatures that have the wisdom and experience that only comes with age and as such, it isn-t much of a stretch to view them as Wise Man/Woman archetypal creatures. So if a turtle appeared in your dream, you might pay attention to its surroundings or if it spoke, paying heed to its message might be a great idea since whatever it imparted is likely to be a message of great value.
Maybe it's Volvo's way of saying you need to read anther Discworld novel.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 19:24   #44
Arianne
Premier Member

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attach...1&d=1422062128

It was similar but it wasn't enclosed by a circle. It was a yellow turtle (presumably this colour turtle is much less dangerous than the 'red' variant which, I guess, indicates almost instant doom is about to hit you and your car's engine!).

As for your quote Roy. The Volvo VEA turtle is much less well defined. It has a shell, two short legs (it's a two dimensional creature) and a head. I didn't detect any 'sly smile' as per your quote.......if I had I think that might have freaked me out TBH!

In my honest opinion, I really do think cars have become too complicated. I blame British Leyland for this. How come, I hear some of you ask (Who, I hear most of you <30s ask). That 'speaking' dashboard on the Montego started it all in the UK.

In all seriousness, have any of us considered a Dacia Sandero as our replacement for our Volvos?

Arianne
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 19:44   #45
Flux
Premier Member

Quite a selection to choose from here to freak you right out! Did it look like one of these?..............http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...62&FORM=IQFRBA

These particular ones are evil bugg**s and if you do get one in your car then get out and quickly fling yourself up the nearest lamp post! Perhaps I do prefer their more sedate cousins after all......

Must be honest though I'm all for clear and concise instructions on my dashboard and don't understand why they need to use animal symbols when a good clear and logical instruction/warning will do.
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 20:08   #46
Considered1
Premier Member

Default from Wikipedia

For the Chinese, the tortoise is sacred and symbolizes longevity, power, and tenacity. It is said that the tortoise helped Pangu (also known as P'an Ku) create the world: the creator goddess Nuwa or Nugua cuts the legs off a sea turtle and uses them to prop up the sky after Gong Gong destroys the mountain that had supported the sky. The flat plastron and domed carapace of a turtle parallel the ancient Chinese idea of a flat earth and domed sky.[26] For the Chinese as well as the Indians, the tortoise symbolizes the universe. Quoting Pen T'sao, "the upper dome-shaped part of its back has various signs, which correspond with the constellations on the sky, and this is Yan; the lower part has many lines, which relate to the earth and is the Yin.[7]

The tortoise is one of the "Four Fabulous Animals",[2] the most prominent beasts of China. These animals govern the four points of the compass, with the Black Tortoise the ruler of the north, symbolizing endurance, strength, and longevity.[27] The tortoise and the tiger are the only real animals of the four, although the tortoise is depicted with supernatural features such as dragon ears, flaming tentacles at its shoulders and hips, and a long hairy tail representing seaweed and the growth of plant parasites found on older tortoise shells that flow behind the tortoise as it swims. The Chinese believe that tortoises come out in the spring when they change their shells, and hibernate during the winter, which is the reason for their long life.[7]

The Chinese Imperial Army carried flags with images of dragons and tortoises as symbols of unparalleled power and inaccessibility, as these animals fought with each other but both remained alive. The dragon cannot break the tortoise and the latter cannot reach the dragon.[7] In China, the tortoise was also called the Black warrior, standing as a symbol of power, tenacity, and longevity, as well as that of north and winter.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 20:08   #47
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post

Must be honest though I'm all for clear and concise instructions on my dashboard and don't understand why they need to use animal symbols when a good clear and logical instruction/warning will do.
Perhaps because they don't have to translate symbols into other languages like, French, German, Italian, etc. - reduces the costs of production by a few cents and that is what counts

They just need to choose from this list of symbols ISO 7000

And here is the tortoise and explanation

Last edited by wimorrison; Jan 24th, 2015 at 20:21. Reason: Added tortoise
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 20:31   #48
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
For the Chinese, the tortoise is sacred and symbolizes .............
Ok, a few observations now guys:
  1. Considered1 - either you're a very good typist and an PA in your day job or this is the best case of cut & paste I've recently seen
  2. this thread is splitting in two. Some folks have clearly lost the plot and we're now having a full-on, fun-filled adventure in the world of turtles and tortoise while......
  3. the engineers and technical professionals are trying to have a serious conversation about the convention on international symbols and ISO standards - on tortoise of all things (think about the contradiction here guys, seriously?)

Clearly, between us we know plenty about tortoise. I never thought this was part of the Volvo experience but it seems even the programmers in Gothenburg have opted in.

People.......it's time to stop. There are folk on here with rattles, knocks, specification dilemma, delivery anxiety and worn wheel bearings. They're struggling to navigate their way to the answers to life's big questions because of having to continuously step over the thousands of tortoise posts that are slowly, but surely, moving across the forum.

Remember, a tortoise is not just for Christmas - your Volvo is for Life.

Arianne

Last edited by Arianne; Jan 24th, 2015 at 20:33.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arianne For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 22:27   #49
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attach...1&d=1422062128

It was similar but it wasn't enclosed by a circle. It was a yellow turtle (presumably this colour turtle is much less dangerous than the 'red' variant which, I guess, indicates almost instant doom is about to hit you and your car's engine!).

As for your quote Roy. The Volvo VEA turtle is much less well defined. It has a shell, two short legs (it's a two dimensional creature) and a head. I didn't detect any 'sly smile' as per your quote.......if I had I think that might have freaked me out TBH!

In my honest opinion, I really do think cars have become too complicated. I blame British Leyland for this. How come, I hear some of you ask (Who, I hear most of you <30s ask). That 'speaking' dashboard on the Montego started it all in the UK.

In all seriousness, have any of us considered a Dacia Sandero as our replacement for our Volvos?

Arianne
Not me, I'd never be happy with it. Rather have this 100 mpg baby......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArT_...-ts=1421914688
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 23:58   #50
GMcL
0's and 1's

What did you have for your tea Arianne?
Was it a nice piece of beef or did you have some tortoise/turtle ?
Did you catch it yourself or did it just amble it's way into your supermarket grocery basket/trolley ?

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote