Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T4 Auto - Oil Leak

Views : 861

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2004, 13:59   #1
Garfield

Anyone out there experienced any oil leaks on their autobox.

Just done a long run (400 miles) and on parking up I see the characteristic speckles on the back of the car of an oil leak.

Looking underneath the centre support is wet and a trail leads back from it under the car. The autobox is wet on the engine side and required almost .75 litre to get into the normal zone.

This is worrying .....

If any of you have experienced this what was it in the end - and how far into four figures was the fix :-)

PS - I know it is not engine oil or power steering because these levels have not dropped, never do much.

Old Apr 17th, 2004, 19:46   #2
vjck_uk
Premier member

Default RE: T4 Auto - Oil Leak

In this case 'masters are going to never quit' putting their hand deep into the pockets
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 17:25   #3
Garfield

Similar to what I expected, I had an almighty bust up with a local Volvo dealer who seems unable to diagnose without removing the auto box from the car for which they want a substantial three figure sum.

I asked about the seals etc to fix myself only to be insulted further when the dealer then advised that Volvo do not supply 'spares' for auto boxes only new / recon boxes, for an oil leak!! - ah so now we know - the dealer simply wants to replace the box as a quick and easy fix - for an oil seal are you joking!! - comments not repeatable.

I am getting a second opinion from an independent in the next week or so but if what the Volvo dealer said proves to be true (i.e. I cannot get the seals to fix it anyhow) the car will be fixed, sold and good riddance. Not a case of giving up - more a case of choosing a different weapon ..... my experience with Volvo has so far not been a good one .. the build quality of the T4 is poor, the reliability questionable (and yes it does have a FULL main dealer service history), the dealer support laughable.

I have had two Audi's, three Passats, Range Rover, Lotus, Toyota, Mitsubishi and Nissan and never had the issues I have had with this car, the dealers for one treated me with respect and the manufacturers supported their vehicles, Volvo and their dealers don't seem to give a damn unless you buy top of the range, wear a collar and tie at weekends and don't care how big the bills are.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 17:06   #4
vjck_uk
Premier member

Default RE: T4 Auto - Oil Leak - Update

I know just how you feel,the whole Vovlo quality thing has gone out of the window.
My son has a 3 series BMW and it's wonderful compared to our revamped Fords.
There are places that advertise repairs who only do autobox rebuilds if you have a look throught the phone books/yellow pages.
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 18:09   #5
Garfield

Well the oil leak is a known entity now - it is not the gearbox - despite a full Volvo service history the box was obviously incorrectly filled, since it has no leaks there can be no other explanation, Volvo service has failed to get the level right - more than a little worrying.

Before anyone comments I checked, rechecked and checked again by the book both hot AND cold, I also got the garage that inspected for the oil leak to check, the level is now correct - took .75 of a litre to get it there too !!

The oil leak is the turbo oil return union - little bitch to get at it is too!!
Old May 5th, 2004, 21:53   #6
Garfield

Who dares usually gets shot first - doodly - fixed the Turbo return and there's still a leak - only not from the turbo - except this time I found out when I took the front apron off, nice wet patch on centre member and there was a nice pool of Dexron II in a recess on the apron .... just put another .25 litre in the box - is there an emoticon available for pŁ$%^"d off .... ;(