Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlights being on all the time!

Views : 2760

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2011, 11:49   #21
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIAMBLUE View Post
I was talking to Gatos the other day about this my Xenon ballasts have a life of 2000 hours and my lights are on all of the time, so at 10 hours a week driving they will last 4 years.

Gary.
That means I should be long on my 3rd or 4th set of them!?

My car is now 5 years old. I have NEVER turned the lights off when driving. I drive a day around 3 hours - at least.

So: 2000/3= ~666 days. Lets take the weekends (52x2) a year in the calculation...: 365-104=261. 666/261= ~2.5 years.

As I haven't changed them yet, and I can still see at night, I'd assume they work still

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 18:21   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
That means I should be long on my 3rd or 4th set of them!?

My car is now 5 years old. I have NEVER turned the lights off when driving. I drive a day around 3 hours - at least.

So: 2000/3= ~666 days. Lets take the weekends (52x2) a year in the calculation...: 365-104=261. 666/261= ~2.5 years.

As I haven't changed them yet, and I can still see at night, I'd assume they work still
In my experience , the volvo BI-xenon bulbs last about 7 years on average .. that is when used as running lights ... The £25 ones on E-bay about 2 or 3 winters , not being used as running lights ..
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 19:19   #23
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
In my experience , the volvo BI-xenon bulbs last about 7 years on average .. that is when used as running lights ... The £25 ones on E-bay about 2 or 3 winters , not being used as running lights ..
I assume it is like with a normal lightbulb... A bulb will run for ever, if not switched off over and over again. So if I drive 1,5h a time with my lights on, they are fired up twice a day. If I drive 6x0,5h, my lights fire up 6x - so they would quickly say "bye bye"

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 02:00   #24
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIAMBLUE View Post
I was talking to Gatos the other day about this my Xenon ballasts have a life of 2000 hours and my lights are on all of the time, so at 10 hours a week driving they will last 4 years.

Gary.
I you have a 2002 V40 there is a way to turn the daytime running lights off its in the manual, can't remember off the top of my head (something like key in position II light sidelights and pull the beam on something like that its definately in the owner manual), but I did it as I didn't want my HID's on all the time, I think its just the later model where you can't turn them off
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 02:40   #25
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

The "Xenon" lamps (i.e. high pressure gas discharge lamps) are a type of arc lamp, so they experience the greatest wear when "struck", or first switched on. They do wear slightly when on, but 10 hours of continuous illumination is much better for their lifespan than switching them on and off from cold 10 times in 10 minutes. Daim's usage is probably relatively good for the lamp life. I've not heard a particular lifespan quoted for the ballasts before, but they certainly can fail.

I've had the DRLs turned off on my car, and hadn't remotely considered the insurance angle before. It's an interesting point.

As for the P1 C70...yes, that little screw turns the DRLs on and off. It's the same thing as the software change described for the C30...but a lot quicker and cheaper!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 16:43   #26
kebab10
Premier Member

Best way to get a good life span out of the lights is to buy good lightbulbs in the first place. Volvo dealer obviously, but I have found that Osram and Phillips make good bulbs. The "cheaper" alternatives from Halfrauds arent worth the money in my humble opinion.
And surely people buy Volvo cars for the safety features and DRLs are there for a reason. Live with it. Do you hear the Swedes whinging about DRLs.? No you dont.

Last edited by kebab10; Nov 1st, 2011 at 16:43. Reason: Cant spell again
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote