Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Time required to Check Starter Motor

Views : 714

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2011, 23:42   #1
UKTech

Default Time required to Check Starter Motor

S40 04/5 2.0Ltr Diesel SE

Hi all

Could anyone please advise me as to how long it takes to remove a starter motor and replace it and what is involved, as I think that the 'Dog'(that's the old name) is sticking in or not kicking back. Sorry I don't know the modern terms but I think you would know what I'm talking about, and you could possibly give me the modern terms for it.

Thanks in anticipation.

UKTech

Last edited by UKTech; Nov 4th, 2011 at 23:44.
UKTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 09:02   #2
WARBO

Unhappy

Volvo book time for d4204t 2.0 turbo diesel you have is 24 mins for a trained techie. So should be a nice sat morning job.
You will notice on removal it has a fomoco (ford) sticker on it which is why its failed.... Cos its cheap ford crap!!!
WARBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 09:10   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

18 minutes actualy but this is the easiest of the S40/V50 starters to get off , just two bolts and the hardest part is getting the two terminals off ..

I would agree with the above statment too ,
I have never changed so many alternators and starters in my whole working life than i have in the last 4 years on the FORD based engines . In fact 90% + of the faults on volvos right now are FORD inherited . they reaped our technology and dumped all their poor quality and design faults on us ...
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 17:07   #4
UKTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARBO View Post
Volvo book time for d4204t 2.0 turbo diesel you have is 24 mins for a trained techie. So should be a nice sat morning job.
You will notice on removal it has a fomoco (ford) sticker on it which is why its failed.... Cos its cheap ford crap!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan
18 minutes actualy but this is the easiest of the S40/V50 starters to get off , just two bolts and the hardest part is getting the two terminals off ..

I would agree with the above statment too ,
I have never changed so many alternators and starters in my whole working life than i have in the last 4 years on the FORD based engines . In fact 90% + of the faults on volvos right now are FORD inherited . they reaped our technology and dumped all their poor quality and design faults on us ...
Thanks both
Was hoping you would say that it was a short type of job, is it possible to rectify a sticking 'Dog' or is it a recon starter.
I would agree with the Ford comment as I've always thought of Ford as 'Fix Or Repair Daily'.
Thanks in advance.
UKTech

Last edited by UKTech; Nov 5th, 2011 at 17:13.
UKTech is offline   Reply With Quote