Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dies on switchover. CNG

Views : 1247

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2023, 12:46   #1
mcfe

Default Dies on switchover. CNG

Alright, so what happened? I was having issues with the distributor. CNG was leaking in the intake manifold and choking the car, but it otherwise worked.

I went to fill up my car with CNG and CNG was working before this, I started the car, waited for switchover and it died. Works fine on Petrol. But every time I attempt to switch over, it fails to switch and stalls.

Causes?
mcfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2023, 15:55   #2
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

The Necam system can be a pig to fault-find. Suspect:

1. Diaphragm in reducer
2. Diaphragm in dizzy.
3. Solenoid in dizzy - less likely.

However your description - what-happened-when, is limited thus diagnosis is not easy.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Oct 28th, 2023 at 15:58.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2023, 07:06   #3
mcfe

I have more symptoms! Works when cold! Dies and does not work when warm! I managed to drive for a while yeah and then as the car warmed up, it died.
And then I switched to petrol and the car starts again. I attempted to switch to CNG and this time there was a very loud whistling sound.
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 13:04   #4
mcfe

I have CNG stepper motor type B. I took it out, re-did the solder joints. I removed the piston and plan to use SILICON-FREE WD40, it specially says NO silicon in it and lubricate.

NOW, Spring 105....I cannot get to it, the allen key screw stripped on the bottom, not sure why, they were on there TIGHT...and one went the way of the dodo with a circular hole.. So I cannot stretch the spring anymore. Bummer and CNG is always leaking in the intake manifold choking the car on startup.

Last edited by mcfe; Oct 30th, 2023 at 13:06.
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 08:15   #5
mcfe

Since I cannot edit my previous post, I wish to say after resoldering the stepper it works again. I managed to drive all day long on CNG.

I also managed to get the three allen bolts from the bottom out and stretch spring 105, unfortunately it did not help at all. The membrane looked fine to me, but I guess it's not good enough still as CNG still leaks in the intake manifold and chokes my engine on startup.

All I have left to do is replace the main supply hose from the vaporizer/reducer as it is leaking a lot of CNG, reducing my range.
Old Nov 7th, 2023, 11:42   #6
raino

How did you manage to purge the system from cng before removing the stepper?
Did find here how to do it, but as I have similar issue on cng it just stalls and no way to purge it by running the system. Would it work to just loosen the pressure sensor and let the gas out this way? Filled up just few days before so the tank is full.
Another thought is to solder it on the car after removing the fan assembly and using 12V solder iron.
raino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 15:23   #7
juke80

Quote:
Originally Posted by raino View Post
How did you manage to purge the system from cng before removing the stepper?
Did find here how to do it, but as I have similar issue on cng it just stalls and no way to purge it by running the system. Would it work to just loosen the pressure sensor and let the gas out this way? Filled up just few days before so the tank is full.
Another thought is to solder it on the car after removing the fan assembly and using 12V solder iron.
I did like that, i loosed the pressure sensor little bit and gas leaked. Tank will remain full, at least mine did...
juke80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2023, 09:46   #8
mcfe

I mean unless you have a failed solenoid to keep the main tanks from leaking cng, just pull the component and bleed it slowly. It's not an infinite amount of cng, just do it outside where the CNG cannot pool around you.