Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Uneven cylinder firing

Views : 777

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 11:26   #1
boxman

Default Uneven cylinder firing

Hi Everyone
I've noticed that over the last few weeks my 92 200f engine has begun to "wobble" whilst idling more noticeably than before. It can be felt from inside the car, and can be seen by watching the engine. Every 4-5 seconds it rocks on it's mounts more severely than the usual tick over movement. Also when driving a muffled
"puffing/ringing" noise throughout the rev range can be heard. It appears to be firing on all 4 cylinders and apart from the wobble, it starts and idles fine and runs o.k despite the noise. I initially thought the pronounced movement could be worn engine mounts (now replaced) but no change. I am sure it must now be one or more of the cylinders running unevenly. Have checked:

Air intake for leaks
changed: rotor/dist cap /plugs /HT leads /fuel filter/ air filter
valve clearances checked
timing checked
There are no fault codes showing.

I still need to check injectors - is there any easy way to check individual injectors? They seem to be clicking nicely, how can I check if they are spraying evenly? Do I have to remove the whole rail?

Any help is appreciated.

Many Thanks - John

boxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 14:33   #2
Peter D
Peter D

Default RE: Uneven cylinder firing

When you say you have checked the leads what resistance where they and are you sure to tested from the metal to metal bot a probe into the centre carbon core. What timing figures did you use and from where I have a problem with my 93 200F at the moment so the figures would be interesting. Injectors can be cleaned and flow checked for about £4 each plus all new seals but use a good injector cleaner thru the system. Also check the intank lifhter pump is working, listen in the filler for the pump wiring. Just link fuse 4 and 6 to fire the pumps up without ignition off. Come Back with results. The puffing noise concerns me as that is what a sticking valve does but rare on this engine unless really coked up valves. Regards Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 16:25   #3
boxman

Default RE: Uneven cylinder firing

Peter - Thanks for your reply
Old leads were not checked for resistance, simply exchanged for new, with no improvement, the timing is a strange one- I'm constantly told no adjustment can be made, all I did was to use a strobe against the flywheel markers (it was spot on at 12deg before tdc)so all I know is that is not a problem.
The in tank pump is working O.K. and I've used some injector cleaner in the petrol tank.
The ringing / puffing noise is really bugging me but as soon as I get to the problem I'll let you know !!!!!

Cheers - John
boxman is offline   Reply With Quote