Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CHANGING WATER PUMP 240 - ANYTHING I SHOULD KNOW ?!

Views : 815

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2005, 20:00   #1
Casanova
Casanova

Default CHANGING WATER PUMP 240 - ANYTHING I SHOULD KNOW ?!

Hi all.

I'm about to change the water pump (a week after the radiator!) and wondered if there's anything I should know ?

I have the gasket and a couple of seals in the box, and antifreeze !

Cheers.
Casanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 07:13   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Default RE: CHANGING WATER PUMP 240 - ANYTHING I SHOULD KNOW ?!

Be very careful not to sheer off any of the bolts if they are rusty.
Stuff a rag down the lower timing cover to stop any dropped nuts or bolts falling down inside.
Make sure there aren't any casting burrs around the slotted holes of the new pump. (Make sure you have the right pump! Engine blocks are not identical - B21 takes a different pump from B230 and B200)

Persuading the small rubber seal on the heater pipe to seat properly can be a problem. The best trick is to half-fit it over the end of the pipe, insert the non-expanded projecting end into the hole in the pump, then press the pump back so that both ends slide in together. It is easy to think it is seated, but find it leaks because one side of the seal has caught on the lip of the hole. Remember there is a small hidden nut and bolt holding the pipe to the pump.
You need to lever the pump upwards (hence the slotted holes) as you tighten the bolts fully, in order to compress the pump to block seal on top.
Finally check the alignment of the pulley with the crank pulley and alternator, by squinting along the line of the belts. You can adjust the position of the pump pulley if necessary by putting thin washers behind the pulley face.

While you have the timing cover removed, take the opportunity to check the camshaft seal isn't leaking. I had the rubber pump to block seal blow out once because it had been softened by persistant seapage of oil from the camshaft seal.

Good luck,
Cliff Pope
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 19:13   #3
Casanova
Casanova

Default RE: CHANGING WATER PUMP 240 - ANYTHING I SHOULD KNOW ?!

Thanks - will have a go when the rain stops !
Casanova is offline   Reply With Quote