Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Placebo cheap T5 'service'

Views : 1052

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2011, 17:50   #1
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Default Placebo cheap T5 'service'

My T5 been feeling choked under acceleration ever since I changed the Fuel Pressure sensor months back. Having to put my foot far down just to feel the torque, so decided to give the mechanics a once over (without spending any money...)

Here's what I did:

- Cast aside undertray and front bumper
- Tightened up all turbo/intercooler hoses in, under and around the engine bay
- Replaced the weak looking hose clamp around the ETM pipe for a brand new thicker clamp. Tightened right up.
- Removed coilpacks and spark plugs.
- Re gapped the old sparkplugs to 0.8mm rather than 0.7mm (my logic being the bigger gap compensates for the general wear on sparkplug).

- Tightened all 5 sparkplugs finger tight and then a 1 quarter turn with socket wrench
- Tightened all 5 coilpack bolts finger tight and then a 1 quarter turn with socket wrench.

Results are a big wadge of torque has returned from the dead. Mid range the difference is alarming.The full 320nm torque is back and here to stay! I've had a dodgy Fuel Pressure Regulator since purchase so I've never experienced the full performance of this car yet. Damn this thing pulls.

5 days in, performance still license loosing. The midrange acceleration compared to the 2.0d is just ridiculous.

Last edited by fenton_jd; Oct 25th, 2011 at 19:32.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton_jd For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 18:45   #2
kebab10
Premier Member

Well done. I would imagine that your mpg has also improved as well. Should be interesting for some other T5 owners.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 21:26   #3
benf

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
My T5 been feeling choked under acceleration ever since I changed the Fuel Pressure sensor months back. Having to put my foot far down just to feel the torque, so decided to give the mechanics a once over (without spending any money...)

Here's what I did:

- Cast aside undertray and front bumper
- Tightened up all turbo/intercooler hoses in, under and around the engine bay
- Replaced the weak looking hose clamp around the ETM pipe for a brand new thicker clamp. Tightened right up.
- Removed coilpacks and spark plugs.
- Re gapped the old sparkplugs to 0.8mm rather than 0.7mm (my logic being the bigger gap compensates for the general wear on sparkplug).

- Tightened all 5 sparkplugs finger tight and then a 1 quarter turn with socket wrench
- Tightened all 5 coilpack bolts finger tight and then a 1 quarter turn with socket wrench.

Results are a big wadge of torque has returned from the dead. Mid range the difference is alarming.The full 320nm torque is back and here to stay! I've had a dodgy Fuel Pressure Regulator since purchase so I've never experienced the full performance of this car yet. Damn this thing pulls.

5 days in, performance still license loosing. The midrange acceleration compared to the 2.0d is just ridiculous.
thanks for sharing. What millage are you on ? FYI, on my classic S40 T4 removing the undertray actually reduced MPG and affected the cars road stickyness - e.g. ablity to put the power-down :P noticable diffrence when I got around to putting it back on. Wonder what you have done that has made the most diffrence ??

With my old car plugs where about 3/4 the way through the 'recommend' service interval - took them out and cleaned them good with carb cleaner ... 'holly feck' it made some much diffrence to mid-range pickup I nearly soiled myself lol - volvo turbo charged petrols seem to be king in the mid-range.

Looking forward to my next service @ 4 yrs - new spark plugs, air filter etc ... and oil is now nearly 13 months old. Thinking of just going to do it myself, with the old car did my own servicing for nearly 4 years and _never_ had one single problem with the car :P
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 22:59   #4
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Thanks that's a helpful guide!

A sorted T5 really flies

Mine did 99.5 and 14.77 @ York on the old faulty FPS and tired MAF so can't wait to see what It can do next year.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 12:52   #5
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post
thanks for sharing. What millage are you on ? FYI, on my classic S40 T4 removing the undertray actually reduced MPG and affected the cars road stickyness - e.g. ablity to put the power-down :P noticable diffrence when I got around to putting it back on. Wonder what you have done that has made the most diffrence ??

With my old car plugs where about 3/4 the way through the 'recommend' service interval - took them out and cleaned them good with carb cleaner ... 'holly feck' it made some much diffrence to mid-range pickup I nearly soiled myself lol - volvo turbo charged petrols seem to be king in the mid-range.

Looking forward to my next service @ 4 yrs - new spark plugs, air filter etc ... and oil is now nearly 13 months old. Thinking of just going to do it myself, with the old car did my own servicing for nearly 4 years and _never_ had one single problem with the car :P
benf I put the uindertray back on as soon as I'd finished checking the turbo hoses underneath!

I think the spark plug gap made the biggest difference. I'd love to have a go in a T4. Though I might miss the 5 pot sound!
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 20:09   #6
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Will have to get them plugs out and check and adjust the gap.

Nice to see those no cost checks have made a good difference.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 16:57   #7
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Seriously guys I cannot believe the difference here. It feels quicker now than it did 2 days ago!
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 08:01   #8
Kidderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
Seriously guys I cannot believe the difference here. It feels quicker now than it did 2 days ago!

Cars vary in performance day to day, air temperature, atmospheric pressure, humidity etc can make a big difference, like night and day sometimes.
Kidderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 09:13   #9
Daim
Brit in Germany

The idea with the sparkplugs isn't bad BUT wear doesn't mean to widen the gap between the electrodes. More so lower the gap, as the resistance between the electrodes will grow/raise and the sparks won't be as strong as they could be.

What plugs are you currently running? The original Volvo ones with 4/3 ground electrodes?

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 22:55   #10
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Been over 2 weeks since I performed the original adjustments.

The torque is still perfect. The difference, STILL, is like night and day.

5th gear at 1200rpm (30mph) - even lightly pressing the throttle at this engine speed and the car just punches forward effortlessly even uphill, and with passengers.

If I tried to accelerate at this engine speed prior to my adjustments, there was simply no torque and I'd be forced to change down.

I was definitely onto a winner here!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fenton_jd For This Useful Post: