Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Speed Cameras

Views : 1214

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2017, 18:32   #1
Whiterdesign
Master Member

Default Speed Cameras

As I have now ordered my new XC60, I have been reading the owners manual from start to finish.
What I haven't find is much information about speed camera warnings. From what I can gather the map database includes speed cameras. What I want to know is if the camera database is updated when the maps are and how reliable is it.
At the moment on my old XC60 I use Pocketgps which is basically installed as POI,s on the map database. Can you do this on the new Sensus maps. Help would be gratefully received.
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 19:59   #2
Jcbrown

I presume it is similar/the-same as the S90

The XC90 manual for Road Sign Information with Speed Camera Information* and Road Sign Information with Speed Warning and Settings give an overview

I don't know, but guessing the database of cameras will be updated with the map updates, so 3-4 times a year.

I am not aware of the ability of adding 3rd party POI DBs to Sensus, other than manually inputting them. Which is not really an option here.

Have the audible warning set when I accidently go 5MPH over limit. I find this and the camera warning works pretty well for me.

Enjoy the car when you get it
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 23:06   #3
Bernard F

I worry about 5mph over when doing 30mph so I set it to 1mph which is a bit of a pain but worth it to be safe.
Bernard F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 08:31   #4
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
I worry about 5mph over when doing 30mph so I set it to 1mph which is a bit of a pain but worth it to be safe.
Not sure we are talking about the same thing. The "Speed limit warning" option (Settings...My Car...IntellIsafe) on my car only allows me to set the deviation in 5mph increments.

I am not saying I constantly drive at an indicated 5mph over the posted speed limit, just that I am to receive an audible warning if I inadvertently do. I initially had the setting at a deviation of 0mph, but found it too annoying

Old Nov 13th, 2017, 12:29   #5
Bernard F

Yes the same thing. I have a 1 mph option on a MY18 XC60. Perhaps you are due an update? Does the 5mph worry you at 30mph. It’s so easy to increase speed unintentionally especially going down hills.
Sorry, I had a senior moment. I probably set it to zero and the warning comes at 1mph over I am constantly seeing 31 at the signal.

Last edited by Bernard F; Nov 13th, 2017 at 12:36. Reason: Last sentence added.
Bernard F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 18:22   #6
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
Does the 5mph worry you at 30mph. It’s so easy to increase speed unintentionally especially going down hills.
Yes it is easy, especially in Eco Mode (no engine breaking, though that is at speeds above 40MPH). But by using a combination of good old fashioned brakes, the cruise or speed limiter and the audible warning I find it works for me.

I found having the deviation set to 0MPH, so there is a PING 1MPH over recognised limit, just too annoying, even when using cruise. speed would cream up 1-2MPH downhill: PING, car would slow, back up. PING: Repeat ... Similar when just doing it the old fashioned way with brakes/gears.

I'm happy with a 5PMH deviation in combination with the other technology in the car, and good old observation and driving skills. But I recognise others will prefer other combinations of settings, technology, ... - whatever works best for each individual.

Last edited by Jcbrown; Nov 13th, 2017 at 18:24.
Jcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 19:29   #7
AB-UK
Premier Member

You may find that the speedo is not absolutely accurate anyway.
SWMBO's car does 27mph when the digital speedo reads 30.
Her previous cars, both Toyota Prius, were the same.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 19:37   #8
Lexman8
Premier Member

The 5 mph speed limit increment is too large too be useful at 30 mph. An increment of 2 or 3 mph would be far more useful.

In countries that are metric the increment is 5 kph (= 3 mph) so obviously Volvo's programmers just changed kph to mph without actually converting the actual speed. A bit lazy of them really.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 20:18   #9
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
You may find that the speedo is not absolutely accurate anyway.
SWMBO's car does 27mph when the digital speedo reads 30.
Her previous cars, both Toyota Prius, were the same.
Yes, went past a couple of those "thank you, your speed is..." signs yesterday. It said 37, speedo said 40, next one said 28, speedo said 30. Don't think I've ever passed one of those signs and have the speeds match

I'm sure I have read before, that by law (but don't quote me on it being law) a speedo cannot under-read. so it cannot report 50MPH, when you are actually doing (say) 53, so they will always over-read. Again, sure there is a limit on this too (but also don't quote me) that it must not over-read by more than 10%.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 20:30   #10
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
The 5 mph speed limit increment is too large too be useful at 30 mph. An increment of 2 or 3 mph would be far more useful.
I find it quite useful. the other option of 0MPH is too irritating. Yes, 2-3mph may be useful, as possibly would be a % deviation (so 10% at 30MPH would be 33, 44 at 40MPh and so on). But I personally am happy with the setting I have, and it works for me. I am not trying to get the chime to sound. But this is my own preference, and each-to-their-own.

At the end of the day, it is me who is in control of the vehicle, and me who is responsible for driving within the law and the conditions of the road. All the technology is only an aide to help me, not control me. And definitely not something I can use as an excuse for breaking the law.