Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing At Just Under 100% Kerbweight

Views : 4286

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2009, 22:55   #11
JimDay
Mad Murdoch

I fully agree with what 4wheeldriver has written above, but it is amazing how many people fall into the same trap though, thinking they can just load in the car what they can't get/put in the van so as to keep the van within it's weigt limits a lot of people forget or don't realise that the car has weight limits as well.

1999 V70 2.5 T SE Auto "ME7" Caravan = 2003 Swift Charisma 550 4 Berth
JimDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimDay For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 13:26   #12
Johnny8718
V50 2.0D & C70 Collection

QUOTE "Regardless of the way you load the car and/or caravan, this is still an illegal combination as the MTPLM of the caravan STILL and always WILL exceed the max weight of the car". QUOTE

4 wheel driver - I do totally agree with you, however we are both aware that the MTPLM is the maximum laden weight, and is the legal indication of what the van should not exceed when absolutely full.

The total weight the Volvo can tow legally is 1800kgs.

The total weight that the van can be towed at is 1900Kgs. This is not to say that you must fill it to 1900kgs. If you are sensible, it will not reach this weight. For a start, I do not own an awning - these are nearly 100kgs alone. If Elddis were to set their MTPLM at a ridiculously low amount, every van on the road would exceed it and everyone would be breaking the law.

The difference in the cars legal ability and the legal max of the van is the weight of an average person. As long as I am sensible with the items I take with me and I sensibly load both - there is no issue.

You must remember that you could tow the van with the most legally capable car on the road, feeling totally safe and totally legal. However, the bigger the car, the more items you tend to load in the van. The car may pull 3 or 4 tons - but will the van be under 1900kgs? This would be just as illegal as overloading the whole outfit.

I know what you are saying and I do take your point. Towing is all about safety and after seeing what happened to my parents (with a 67% outfit) - I know only too well.

My outfit is totally legal provided I do not exceed 1800kgs (van weight). Neither VOSA nor the Police can argue this.

Thanks, John.

Last edited by Johnny8718; Oct 1st, 2009 at 13:31.
Johnny8718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 17:40   #13
4wheeldriver
Master Member

The point I'm making is that you cant have a Maximum gross weight that is higher than the recommended weight for the car. Doesnt matter what you put in the van as long as it says 1900kgs and your car says 1800kgs the fact will always remain that it is an illegal combination. The first thing the Police or VOSA will look at is the Weight plate on the caravan and the weights for the car and they WILL park you up!!! The MTPLM is the MIRO plus any items you load in the caravan. Your mass in running order is, I'll bet VERY close to the kerbweight for your car. Normally you can load in 500kgs of kit in the average car but how much stuff do you carry in the car? You also state you put the gas bottles in a roof box on the roof of the car? Do you have an LPG red diamond on the car for a kick off same as on the front locker for the caravan. Legal requirement if you have LPG in the vehicle other than a fuel source. Also that is a fair weight to put on the roof changing the centre of gravity of your car and thus its stability. The max roof load on an xc70 I believe to be 100kgs. I imagine the gas bottles would contribute to much of that load to start with if there are more than 1?

I seriously hope that you never come a cropper running with this combination and way of loading as you could find yourself with void insurance and a hefty fine from the POlice.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 20:48   #14
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

Johnny,

Having just spoken with our Transport manager at work today (he runs a fleet of council vehicles, ranging from Fiesta vans to artics) about towing as I was concerned about the weight of our canoe trailer with respect to the Transit van that is used to tow it, I can be fairly confident in that they WILL do you if your unit has the capacity to go over either the maximum train weight (irrespective of whether) or the tow limit of the vehicle.

A SWB FWD Transit can actually only tow upto about 900kg, depending on the version. Our one I think is the 280, ie 2800kg, which has a train weight of 3500kg... so with a 750kg trailer it's over the maximum allowed train weight, even if the van is empty... I know that this is a Volvo forum, but I needed an example I was familiar with.

Also, be glad you don't tow with the L200 any longer; as it's classed as a commercial vehicle from today VOSA could seize it if it was illegally loaded....

Easiest solution? Get the van downplated to 1800kg... if you don't need the 1900kg capacity then get it down plated so that you are legal.
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler Ed For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 18:10   #15
Johnny8718
V50 2.0D & C70 Collection

Thanks for that! Where would I get the plate though?
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 14:28   #16
dodgyken
Master Member

Hang on a minute. How can the police pull you if what you are towing is plated for a higher weight than the car can tow?

If you have a trailer that is plated to 3000KG - but is towed empty (600KG) - on the back of a car capable of towing 2000KG - then what you are saying is the police can pull you and ticket.

You could even have the trailer loaded - at say 1900KG - and get pulled just because of the plate??

I was under the impression that they could pull you

1) Being overweight of the towing vehicle
2) Being overweight of the trailer/caravan
3) Towing an unstable or badly loaded trailer/caravan
4) Exceeding the towing capacity of the towing vehicle.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 20:30   #17
Paddler Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyken View Post
Hang on a minute. How can the police pull you if what you are towing is plated for a higher weight than the car can tow?

If you have a trailer that is plated to 3000KG - but is towed empty (600KG) - on the back of a car capable of towing 2000KG - then what you are saying is the police can pull you and ticket.

You could even have the trailer loaded - at say 1900KG - and get pulled just because of the plate??

I was under the impression that they could pull you

1) Being overweight of the towing vehicle
2) Being overweight of the trailer/caravan
3) Towing an unstable or badly loaded trailer/caravan
4) Exceeding the towing capacity of the towing vehicle.
In effect you are exceeding the towing capacity of the tow vehicle; I know that it may be empty, but it's the potential to exceed is the problem
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 08:21   #18
dodgyken
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddler Ed View Post
In effect you are exceeding the towing capacity of the tow vehicle; I know that it may be empty, but it's the potential to exceed is the problem
I'm sorry I can not believe you can be prosecuted for that. Towing the trailer (600kg - max weight 3000kg) behind an XC90 (max tow 2500kg) would technically be illegal according to what you say?

It is akin to saying you have a penis therefore are capable of breaking the law by committing rape.

There are a lot of people out there who deliberately buy trailers more than capable of carrying the required weight - because they believe in over-engineering. A trailer capable of 3000kg (total weight) but only loaded at 1900kg - is surely better than one designed for 2000kg and loaded to 1900kg???

I suspect what you are trying to say is that they have the right to ask you to accompany you to a weigh-station to confirm their suspicions that you are towing overweight. There is a big difference. The police would have to have a reasonable suspicicion that you are overweight - having a vehicle plated at a certain weight isn't.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 17:47   #19
Paddler Ed

Sorry,
Got a bit confused... Here's a link to the DFT website where it explains it all... I'd still err on the side of caution to avoid the hassle of a weighbridge
The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler Ed For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 22:42   #20
Dav

[QUOTE=Johnny8718;565313]I have an twin axle Elddis Crudaser Super Sirocco and pull it with a 2004 petrol XC70. Max towing weight of the car is 1800kg's and the maximum laden weight of the van is 1900kgs.

According to whattowcar.com this outfit is illegal as the van is heavier than the car irrespective of the towing max of 1800kgs
Dav is offline   Reply With Quote