Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Key will not turn past position 1 in key hole

Views : 877

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2007, 01:56   #1
disneydrops

Angry Key will not turn past position 1 in key hole

Hi went to start my 04 xc90 and the key would not move past position 1 so I moved the key back and fourth several times and it finally losen up and started. Now no matter what I do it will not budge past position 1 what so-ever I have tried everything possiable....lock, un-lock 3 times...put my head in the back door and pull it out...none of the tricks seem to work. The car will start when by-passing the iginition with a screw driver .....and the iginition switch is turned. What can be causing the key not to go past position 1. No message on screen. Nearest volvo is 1hr away...help!!!!
disneydrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 02:08   #2
niloc
SWV Benefactor

Bent key, or worn pins in the barrel I reckon. Do you have warranty?
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 02:22   #3
disneydrops

Hi - my car has 47,000 should it still be covered?? Can I replace myself???
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 03:41   #4
Mister T

Disneydrops,
Have the dealer order a new steering column lock, it will take about 5-7 days to get , if you can start the car using a screwdriver at the switch plate you will not be able to get the car into gear.
However you can pull up the surround at the gear shift , there are 4 tabs that hold the center part to the indicator plate , push the tabs inward to release it , look down the left front into the console you will see the key lock cable pull it up from its mount , you can then move the lever .
You are still in warranty mileage wise but maybe out time wise check you delivery date .
You do not really want to do this repair yourself , you may also be eligably for a good will repair.
Mister T.

Mister T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 18:38   #5
Multiplex

It does sound like a shift lock fault to me, proably sticking/incorrectly adjusted at the gearlever or come loose at the ignition switch.
Multiplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 18:51   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister T View Post
Have the dealer order a new steering column lock, it will take about 5-7 days to get ,
a new steering lock matched to your key number is available next day from VOLVO in the UK .... However as Mr T says it could well be the shift lock cable sticking , UK warranty is 3 years or 60000 miles which ever comes first
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 20:43   #7
disneydrops

Default the shifter lock cable is not even plugged in

to the ignition right now....the started switch is disconnected....and by inserting the key to where it stops at the 1 position ...when I apply the screwdrivier to the starter switch and turn the screwdriver the vehicle will start with key sitting at position 1 .....and when press the shifter cable I am able to drive the vehicle but the key will not move from position 1....does this mean something is bent or broken in the iginition????? Or what else could be going on......????? Luckly I have a 1997 850 that I am able to use why this problem with my xc90 is going on....but I would really like my xc90 back and running with no starting problems. The closes volvo is 1hr and is backed up in the service department. thanks to everyone for there input it is helping me get to the bottom of this.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 02:38   #8
Mister T

Disneydrops,
Have you contacted the dealer ,? if your car is still within the 4 year - 50,000mile warranty you can have the vehicle taken to the shop by recovery vehicle paid for by VCNA.
I am 90% sure that you will need a new steering columb lock , my reference to the key lock cable was to enable you to be able to move the shift lever , which in most cases cannot be moved unless the key is the run position .
Mister T.
Mister T is offline   Reply With Quote