Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diy Reverse Intercooler Pipes

Views : 8900

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2007, 22:22   #1
carswaps

Default Diy Reverse Intercooler Pipes

Just finished my diy reverse intercooler pipes,

For any one who is interested, all you need is 24" x 54mm aluminium tube and ...well thats it, all the rest of the original pipework can be modified to fit.
The performance difference is definately noticeable especially in the midrange.
just finished this evening so only managed to get one pic, i will post some more and some details how to fit tomorrow.

Regards all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pipes.jpg (49.8 KB, 405 views)
carswaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 22:36   #2
RiPsTa33
Trader

OOH yes please, i want to do that on my 855R so the pipework should be the same. Is that pipe resting on the top of your engine?
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 23:03   #3
carswaps

No, the pipe does look like its resting on the engine but ive cut a section out of the fuel rail plate so it sits nice and neat.
I really was surprised with the performance gain...maybe it just suits my cars setup? but for £10 you cant go wrong
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 19:08   #4
carswaps

Ok here goes, before we start let me just say this is a very easy mod, all you need is 2 x 90 degree bent pipes supplied via your old pipes and 1 x 24" x 55mm straight pipe i paid a £5 for mine, and a couple of 3" bulldog clips.
I have gone out and bought some 55mm silicone hose for cosmetic reasons (cost £10) however the original hoses will do the job.

1, first i took the top intercooler pipe off and cut it so it was just a 90 degree bent pipe (first pic)

2, removed top intercooler hose (near rad) then measured the straight alloy pipe from the 90 degree turbo pipe...cut to size then cut and re-use the top intercooler hose, connect the 3 up, the turbo pipe has to be turned slightly to face the top intercooler opening and thats the top done.

3, The bottom intercooler connections again just need a 90 degree bent pipe again sourced from you old pipes (dont use any of the plastic ones as you cant tighten with the clips without crushing.
The throttle body pipe needs turning slightly clockwise but not much.
the lower alloy intercooler pipe remains as original, again connect all 3 and thats the bottom done.

4, I cut the fuel rail guard in half to go around the top pipe, the pipe dosnt touch the fuel rail but you could put a small rubber protector there if you like.

5, if your alloy pipe comes rough you can rub it up with glass paper and then autosol for a nice shine.

make sure all clips are tight and if your going to do it right then why not take the intercooler off and flush it as its bound to have oil in.
I flushed with a small amount of petrol, i did it 4 times till it ran clear, take care to let all the petrol evaporate before fitment.

I also nioticed today my car had more boost! 1.1 bar as a pose to 1bar usual

Hope this helps anyone out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TURBO 90.jpg (47.3 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg THROTTLE 90.jpg (50.8 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg LOWER INTERCOOLER.jpg (46.3 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg FUEL RAIL CUT.jpg (34.2 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg END RESULT.jpg (47.8 KB, 368 views)

Last edited by carswaps; Aug 2nd, 2007 at 19:23.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carswaps For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 23:55   #5
john h
VOC Member

Hi,

Fascinating... two questions:

1. Why does this work? What delivers the extra power?

2. Is it unique to the 5cyl turbo cars, or would my 760 2.3 turbo benefit?

(Apologies if this is explained elsewhere... if so pls direct me to the right post)

Thanks

John
john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 20:32   #6
Bruce_T

Sorry to bump but think I may have a bash at this, just need to get some ally pipe for the top bit.
Bruce_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 22:00   #7
Bruce_T

Cant seem to find a peice of aluminion of 54/55mm OD...

Where did you get yours?
Bruce_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 11:21   #8
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
Hi,

Fascinating... two questions:

1. Why does this work? What delivers the extra power?

2. Is it unique to the 5cyl turbo cars, or would my 760 2.3 turbo benefit?

(Apologies if this is explained elsewhere... if so pls direct me to the right post)

Thanks

John
I don't think this alone produces more power; the shorter pipe run reduces lag, so the engine will be more responsive. Early T5s had this arrangement, but it changed to the more convoluted arrangement in mid production. Also cleaning out the intercooler will allow greater airflow through it internally, and this will possibly increase power slightly. This particular setup is unique to the 5cyl engines John.

Cleaning out the IC will help no doubt - it should be an annual job ideally. One improvement that you could make to yours is to fit a larger intercooler. IIRC an Iveco Turbo Daily van has a larger IC that almost drops straight in - but don't quote me on that as its a vague memory!
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 12:41   #9
turbo estate

Wink

Could be, but you can't just drop in a bigger IC,you'll have to adjust the programming(ecu)aswell.
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 13:32   #10
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I admit I was running with Fred's (TurboBricks forum) chips when I dabbled with it, but I would have assumed that after an ECU reset it would learn the new fuelling requirement?
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote