Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Looking at joining the Volvo family

Views : 2243

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2019, 17:24   #11
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Evelyn View Post
Whilst there were numerous issues with the EGR system when the VEA engine was first introduced (2014 onwards, mostly V40/V60/V70) can't say I've heard any horror stories around the same for Spa cars so it's certainly not something that I'm in any way worried about.
Same goes for the recall - it's a preventative measure, no reports of fires so far - as far as I'm concerned I have 0% worry on this front.
Exactly. And to my knowledge- resale values of used SPAs are on par with its German rivals- which hasn’t been the case with Volvos for quite some time..

To the OP: no torque converter will ever give you instant gear changes as DSG- and Aisin box found in SPAs is no different. However, it’s no laggier than the rest.

D4/D5.. I’d say the difference in performance is much more felt than the difference in mpg.. D5 does have much more grunt and PP makes it feel much like a V6. But surely do test drive both of them.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 17:57   #12
Tony Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Exactly. And to my knowledge- resale values of used SPAs are on par with its German rivals- which hasn’t been the case with Volvos for quite some time..

To the OP: no torque converter will ever give you instant gear changes as DSG- and Aisin box found in SPAs is no different. However, it’s no laggier than the rest.

D4/D5.. I’d say the difference in performance is much more felt than the difference in mpg.. D5 does have much more grunt and PP makes it feel much like a V6. But surely do test drive both of them.
Agree totally with this. An independent trade-in price check this week for my MY17 S90 D5 PowerPulse Inscription brought a big smile to my face, which is not usual in this context! And I average 45mpg overall whilst fully using the PP effect (as appropriate).
Tony Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 18:51   #13
MOzS90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Apparently the used values are dropping off a cliff-edge.
I’d love to know what evidence you have to back up this utter bull**** statement!

I also think the recall you refer too is for non-SPA cars. Your sig refers to one of those models doesn’t it??

Last edited by MOzS90; Aug 16th, 2019 at 18:55.
MOzS90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 19:15   #14
mr rusty

Re D4 D5. I haven't driven a D5, but the D4 is 190hp - how much do you need? I find D4 more than adequate. Enough to always prompt significant other to ask me to slow down every time I push a bit.
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 21:47   #15
ZenBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Harrison View Post
Agree totally with this. An independent trade-in price check this week for my MY17 S90 D5 PowerPulse Inscription brought a big smile to my face, which is not usual in this context! And I average 45mpg overall whilst fully using the PP effect (as appropriate).

Such a shame it wasn't a V90 , I might of hit up a conversation

So the viewing is booked for 1pm on Sunday, so we shall see

I have eyed up the following

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-516041/2018 and

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-516009/2018

As possible replacements for the 21's, I reckon I'd probably nearly break even with a bit of selling involved.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd ....I am now tipping the sofa over to see what change I can find as this cropped on my radar today

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...wf157bh&page=1

I just can't justify the price but then again it would be a keeper for a good 5 + years

Garage door would have to be replaced from an up and over to a side hinge type but my partners Tiguan would fit in the garage then.......

There is also this available but the mileage is a bit on the high side for my liking but they do keep their value well.

Cost a fair wack in Fuel but meh.... such is life I recko £30 a week would keep me tootling to work a week instead of the £20 I put in the Superb, it's only a 9 mile journey but my job entails me travelling to Lutterworth from Leeds which is a 220 mile round trip twice a month (work pay for the fuel) and we travel quite a bit to my folks, I reckon cruising you'd get low to mid 30's.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...wf157bh&page=1

The only other thing that has caught my eye is this, however it is a Momentum Pro spec and the ad is pretty rubbish at listing what it has and hasn't got..... It does the HK system. Trained as a professional Music Technician but ended up doing a totally different job. So the sound system is a mustttt...........either HK or B&W, after living with the Canton System I can't go back to 130w's

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ice-asc&page=1

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

I have noticed this clause on almost every advert hidden in the fine print

*If the list price of a car is over £40,000, then an extra £320 will be payable from the second time the vehicle is taxed for up to 5 year

That makes the tax £465.!!!!! a year

What on earth ??.........mine is £30 , that's 15x's the cost I pay now ...
ZenBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 21:49   #16
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOzS90 View Post
I’d love to know what evidence you have to back up this utter bull**** statement!
Wow, why so abusive... do you actually talk to people like this when face-to-face, or does it bring out the keyboard warrior in you when confronted with speculation about the possibly falling value of your car? Prices have definitely been dropping since the recall, here's a couple of recent posts on the subject...
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=2191
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...05&postcount=9

Quote:
...I also think the recall you refer too is for non-SPA cars...
May I politely enquire whether you have any evidence to support this?

Last edited by Zebster; Aug 16th, 2019 at 21:51.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 22:38   #17
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:

I also think the recall you refer too is for non-SPA cars. Your sig refers to one of those models doesn’t it??
maybe its because you can get a less than 6 month old car for under £24k.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-sea...-categories=on
2019 / 19plate momemtum d4 models for sale with 4k miles at £23-24k - 40% off list price in less than 6 months. i'd say that is a pretty steep fall.
My Skoda - which i ended up despising due to the poor customer service only lost 50% over 2.5 years.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beavis For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 00:01   #18
MOzS90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Wow, why so abusive... do you actually talk to people like this when face-to-face, or does it bring out the keyboard warrior in you when confronted with speculation about the possibly falling value of your car? Prices have definitely been dropping since the recall, here's a couple of recent posts on the subject...
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=2191
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...05&postcount=9

May I politely enquire whether you have any evidence to support this?
Not abusive at all. I merely stated your sentence was bull****. Just a few posts up an S90 owner has pointed out his surprise at the high value of his used car. My S90 is also worth much more than I expected having recently enquired - with this in mind was I supposed to agree with you? I didn’t buy my car brand new so the depreciation I’ve encountered in 2 years of ownership is minimal and less than expected.

And your two links to posts refer to older non SPA cars with disappointing trade in values. Not the cars this section of the forum covers.

And I know this as we also own one of the older inferior cars and have received the same recall letter.

And as a general rule of thumb - most cars lose about 50% of their retail value after 3 yrs with the vast majority of that in the first 6 months. It ain’t rocket science!!

Last edited by MOzS90; Aug 17th, 2019 at 00:04.
MOzS90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 08:20   #19
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Not abusive at all. I merely stated your sentence was bull****. Just a few posts up an S90 owner has pointed out his surprise at the high value of his used car. My S90 is also worth much more than I expected having recently enquired - with this in mind was I supposed to agree with you? I didn’t buy my car brand new so the depreciation I’ve encountered in 2 years of ownership is minimal and less than expected.

And your two links to posts refer to older non SPA cars with disappointing trade in values. Not the cars this section of the forum covers.

And I know this as we also own one of the older inferior cars and have received the same recall letter.

And as a general rule of thumb - most cars lose about 50% of their retail value after 3 yrs with the vast majority of that in the first 6 months. It ain’t rocket science!!
So no evidence then, just a personal anecdote? You don't have to agree with me, just please try to control your abusiveness when disagreeing! And your unpleasantly superior tone is noted ('older inferior cars')...

Unless it's the later AdBlue equipped engine it'll suffer the same VEA problems, whatever platform it's installed in. The recall is for that four cylinder diesel engine over an age range, not particular models.
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 17:48   #20
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuT4 View Post
maybe its because you can get a less than 6 month old car for under £24k.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-sea...-categories=on
2019 / 19plate momemtum d4 models for sale with 4k miles at £23-24k - 40% off list price in less than 6 months. i'd say that is a pretty steep fall.
My Skoda - which i ended up despising due to the poor customer service only lost 50% over 2.5 years.
But bargains such as this aren't a new thing - I bought my 67-plate V90 Inscription at 6-months old as a pre-reg with 93 miles on the clock from a main dealer in April 2018, over a year before the recall, yet paid £28K for a car with a list of £46K - that's also a 40% discount and certainly wasn't related to the recall. Personally, I don't believe the recall has impacted residuals at all, however, if you were to suggest that the continuing rhetoric and Government policy around diesels were impacting diesel values then I'd heartily agree.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to St Evelyn For This Useful Post: