Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1966 Volvo Amazon engine transplant!

Views : 23645

Replies : 145

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2015, 11:10   #121
Tail
Master Member

Don't want to try to teach you to suck eggs but a really good forum with lots of advice, i still refer to it now and again as i don't weld too often:

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/tutorial.htm

And something else i do is run a few beads on different settings on a small piece of steel 4" by 4" and once i am happy with the beads i write on it the settings used for each one power,wire speed and gas flow rate then next time i get the welder out i can just get it set up straight away in case someone else has had a fiddle with my settings or it has been knocked by accident.

Looks like you are enjoying it anyway
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tail For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 12:43   #122
Melody121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Wear a hat? a stray spark would really make you jump. Try making a small circle with the gun to do the plug in one go. Other welders might care to comment on that. Well done, you look confident, and that's what matters.
That's my other half, he has paid the price before for not wearing a hat and has had weld in his ear before... All i can do is remind him, He's a risk taker lol.

His welding style is not to just hang on to the trigger. 10 years of welding up rusty cars with thin metal means this is how he does it to avoid blowing through.
My friend does the opposite. Just personal preference I guess, and I imagine it also depends on what your welding. I prefer Phil's method personally but actually just so I can see where I'm going otherwise I end up welding the bit next to where I need the weld although that's just cause I'm an amateur.

Last edited by Melody121; Jun 1st, 2015 at 12:47.
Melody121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2015, 17:56   #123
Melody121

I've had a really busy couple of afternoons. I've made all the panels, Phil has welded a couple of them in, and I've cut the rot out the drivers side to patch up. All thats left to do is clean up the drivers floor and everything can get welded in.

Cause a picture says a thousand words, here goes!

Chop!

Rustproofing!

And the inside closing panels too

Good progress! I'm really happy, no more welding now till Saturday but lots more prep to do and I can start on engine stuff yay!
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 16:50   #124
Melody121

I've been bitting and bobbing over the last couple of days as we've not had a chance to get the welder out again yet, that's hopefully tomorrow....

I finished off the inner arch and ns bulkhead with a splash of paint and some stone chip and underseal. I think I'll probably repaint the whole bay when i get a bit closer to finishing.

I found a bit more rust in the floor to cut out and make a patch for.

Then I started making my inlet manifold. The lesson I learnt here was squish first, cut second, in case anyone else wants to attempt this.

I finished one tube messed up a second tube squished a third tube and started the last one before I ran out of strength!

Then I measured up my propshaft, the two ends just want welding together and that'll be that ready to fit.

Then I made some spacer plates for my gearbox mount, as I noticed when fitting the propshaft that the gearbox is sitting about 5mm too high. So 3mm steel two each side and that should be that fixed! Although this stuff eats drill bits, so that another job half done

Then last but not least, I gave her a wash, as she's now sat under a tree getting filthy. And bought a nice cover so she has a chance of staying clean!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Melody121 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 17:01   #125
Melody121

I've not had a lot of chance to do anything this week. Went to Renishaw Car show Wednesday, had a job interview yesterday (need full time money again, even though Olga is loving the part time me) and had to nip to work today to give them my notice.

I did manage to finish all the pipes for the inlet manifold though so their ready to be welded on.

Then I had time to fit a door seal. This particular door has never had one while I've had the car!

Pray for no rain this weekend so some welding can get done!!!
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 15:06   #126
Melody121

Ironic.
Managed to find somewhere to shelter from the rain Sunday and the welder immediately ran out of gas......
Will pick some more up Wednesday!
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 20:17   #127
Melody121

Today I requested a welding lesson as Phil hasn't had much time for welding so I want to do some myself. I have had a lesson off him a few years ago but I didn't have the confidence to have a go without another.
So for a quick summary, lesson start and attempt one;

Whoops, thats a bit pants! Attempt two was good enough I've got enough confidence to have a crack at the car tomorrow now;

Then while the welder was out Phil buzzed round the inlet manifold. Soooo happy this bit is done it feels like a small amount of work for a huge gain.... Pics.....

And by some miracle it all clears everything. Woo! Virtual high fives all round

2000 Mercedes C180 - Claus
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Melody121 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 21:37   #128
Melody121

Life is getting a bit in the way of this beast at the moment. I've hurt my back which is just getting better just in time to move house this weekend
But my mate got a new welder and was dying to try it out so I gave him the propshaft
I'm very happy with it!

2000 Mercedes C180 - Claus
Old Jul 21st, 2015, 20:00   #129
jimbo1593
Master Member

love what you are doing, but please please be ultra careful with a "DIY" welded prop, these things need proper balancing etc etc.
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2015, 20:16   #130
Derek UK
VOC Member

I would also add that the amount of "necking" at the join will reduce the strength in that area. No, I don't know what is under the primer, but another example of bad practice IMO.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote