Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1966 Volvo Amazon engine transplant!

Views : 23651

Replies : 145

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2015, 09:51   #131
Underdrive

I would also be concerned about a DIY prop shortening, which as said needs accurate balancing but that would not compensate for any rotational misalignment that is bound to exist without an appropriate jig. I don't wish to squash enthusiasm for this type of project, but without a certain amount of engineering knowledge it can lead to some dangerous consequences.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 22:47   #132
nonhog

Ah plenty of people shorten / weld prop shafts. Some turn out, some don't.
Its a 2 piece shaft meaning its not very long if it fails it most likely wont take much with it. (never a guarantee) You'll know right away if there are balance issues.

Good reading............. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=56556

Anxious to hear that it turned out well. Good luck and keep your posts coming they inspire me to get stuff done on ours.
(http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332836)

Last edited by nonhog; Jul 23rd, 2015 at 23:02.
nonhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 18:31   #133
Melody121

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonhog View Post

Anxious to hear that it turned out well. Good luck and keep your posts coming they inspire me to get stuff done on ours.
You know, after reading the other comments I would have just not bothered updating anymore if you hadn't posted this.

I'm not an idiot. Of course it's going to get balanced before it goes on. There is a solid sleeve of metal between the two props that was machined to fit perfectly on a lathe, it then has been double welded and NDT tested, just because I could as my partner works restoring classic aircraft. It's the strongest part!

Anyway perhaps I should ignore the tools that are just trying to make me feel rubbish about every part of this project. I don't mind constructive criticism and after further thought the gearbox mount is being completely redesigned, but if you have nothing nice to say, stay off my thread.
2000 Mercedes C180 - Claus
Melody121 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Melody121 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 18:33   #134
Melody121

Finally got a shed last weekend,then built it up and filled it up through the week (actually it's a bit overkill, you could swing a cat in there, but what hey it was cheap and I like it) but work can now commence!

Got the chance to weld in a couple of patches today, just the passengerside floor and then the last of the bulkhead on that side. The bulkhead one is only half done but we'd started to lose the light!

Fingers crossed for some rain free weekends before Chrismas creeps up on us
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 09:01   #135
Palmer 221

have you thought about installing bars over the windows for the shed, perhaps a bigger lock and internal door hinges...

Just kidding, love the project inspired by your can do attitude, continue to keep us all updated
Palmer 221 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Palmer 221 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 13:29   #136
Melody121

I've got a free day today that I had booked off work to wait for a collection. So I thought I'd make the most of it.

This morning I've finished off the passengerside closing panel as best I can. There is a little gap to the right that I couldn't fill, it requires Phil's level of welding skill so it'll have to wait till he's home.

I apologise for the ugly welding it's my first proper go at it! I seem to be getting neater though thankfully

This afternoon I think I might paint the back bumper to match the front and fit a seal or two.
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 17:50   #137
Melody121

I couldn't paint the bumper cause it's almost touching the wall and douch bag here left the handbrake on which now won't come off

I did fit that door seal though so one side of the car is now water tight

Old Dec 5th, 2015, 16:42   #138
Melody121

I got another car day in today .
Phil's away in Coventry so just me again. I had a hand moving the car first off as it was right up against the wall and I needed to start on the driver's side. It was a bit of a mission but the handbrake let go as soon as it got a tow and it pushes fine again now.

I tacked in and welded up the closing panel for the driver's side, the pedals and steering wheel got in the way to say the least! I also messed up a bit as I didn't think to turn the welder up to weld to the box section so when I started hammering a few corners in to get better contact, 6 of my plug welds popped back out

A quick call to Phil and he told me my mistake and said I could just drill extra holes to then weld on the correct setting!

Once again, apologies for the ugly welds, turns out I'm not getting neater yet (although upside down in a foot well with no light does make it a little more difficult)

The important bit is progress!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Melody121 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 14:44   #139
mike gilbert
Master Member

Glad to see your back working on the car after a break - thought you'd given up on it!
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 16:39   #140
jamie
amazon1954

Smile

Look forward to continuing your chronicle.......please do

Jamie
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote