Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bought another one

Views : 2453

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2019, 18:51   #31
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Also i need to check fitment, something in the back of my mind says only Mk1 940 rear lights are interchangeable with the facelift 760 but i might be thinking of the front indicator/sidelights.
Dave,

In terms of physical fitment, all the rear lights on the 700/900 estate are interchangeable. There are 3 types:

- orange indicator/recessed reflector
- clear indicator/recessed reflector
- clear indicator/non-recessed reflector

You also need to be aware that newer cars did not have the facility for a near side/LH fog lamp whereas your older 760 has fog lamps both sides. I'm not sure what year they changed but I think it was in the early 90's.

Kev
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 19:28   #32
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdkev View Post
Dave,

In terms of physical fitment, all the rear lights on the 700/900 estate are interchangeable. There are 3 types:

- orange indicator/recessed reflector
- clear indicator/recessed reflector
- clear indicator/non-recessed reflector

You also need to be aware that newer cars did not have the facility for a near side/LH fog lamp whereas your older 760 has fog lamps both sides. I'm not sure what year they changed but I think it was in the early 90's.

Kev
Thanks Kev, it was the front ones i was thinking of that changed fitments.

I know there are a lot of aftermarket clear/red aftermarket light units around, i would think they'd come with the hole for the rear fog bulb so it could be fitted if needed.

Also i think a lot of them come from somewhere in Europ where the obligatory minimum single rear fog light would be on the left. That suggests i should be ok. I hope!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 12:18   #33
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I did not know and am sad to hear that Volvo have followed the one high intensity rear light trend. Serious fog is not so frequent in the UK now. Many of us remember that very unhappy driving experience. Two high intensity rear lights is very very very much safer. It give the following driver a proper clue as to the width and position of the vehicle looming out of the unknown.

One cannot overstate the looming out of the unknown because fog intensity varies. Drivers no longer seeing rear lights ahead do not know has the vehicle ahead speeded up or is the fog thicker. The safety first approach is slow down. But fog is so very disorientating. Some crashes happened because drivers speeded up to catch up with "the convoy". CRASH. EEK.

Two lights will not be seen from a greater distance, but, two lights will convey better information, more rapidly absorbed by a tired disorientated following driver. Two high intensity rear lights is better. Every little helps.

I rate whoever made only one such light legal as a nincompoop. And that is one of their good points.

And of course inferring from above, that means driving in some different jurisdictions the important light is on the wrong side of the vehicle. Hey ho.

P.S. I helped someone find how to switch on their high intensity rear light on a Ford. It was so "buried" in layers of switch operation that I nearly gave up looking for it. My friend had been convinced that he did not have a high intensity rear light. Modern vehicle design and manufacture pays lip service to safety init?

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Oct 9th, 2019 at 12:24.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 12:38   #34
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
I did not know and am sad to hear that Volvo have followed the one high intensity rear light trend. Serious fog is not so frequent in the UK now. Many of us remember that very unhappy driving experience. Two high intensity rear lights is very very very much safer. It give the following driver a proper clue as to the width and position of the vehicle looming out of the unknown.

One cannot overstate the looming out of the unknown because fog intensity varies. Drivers no longer seeing rear lights ahead do not know has the vehicle ahead speeded up or is the fog thicker. The safety first approach is slow down. But fog is so very disorientating. Some crashes happened because drivers speeded up to catch up with "the convoy". CRASH. EEK.

Two lights will not be seen from a greater distance, but, two lights will convey better information, more rapidly absorbed by a tired disorientated following driver. Two high intensity rear lights is better. Every little helps.

I rate whoever made only one such light legal as a nincompoop. And that is one of their good points.

And of course inferring from above, that means driving in some different jurisdictions the important light is on the wrong side of the vehicle. Hey ho.

P.S. I helped someone find how to switch on their high intensity rear light on a Ford. It was so "buried" in layers of switch operation that I nearly gave up looking for it. My friend had been convinced that he did not have a high intensity rear light. Modern vehicle design and manufacture pays lip service to safety init?

Possibly time to start a new rear light thread ???
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 13:53   #35
Ian21401
Premier Member

I cannot understand the reasoning behind it either. Surely it would be more cost effective just to fit all cars with two rear fog lights so that they all had the same rear light units and wiring harness. I think that my 940 came with two already operational. I managed to fit the nearside one on my daughter’s 2003 V40 by simply knocking out the blank in the nearside light unit, fitting a bulb and finding the loose wiring connector but her later V50 and her present XC70 with canbus proved to be too involved so they have not been “improved”.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 14:55   #36
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
I cannot understand the reasoning behind it either. Surely it would be more cost effective just to fit all cars with two rear fog lights so that they all had the same rear light units and wiring harness. I think that my 940 came with two already operational. I managed to fit the nearside one on my daughter’s 2003 V40 by simply knocking out the blank in the nearside light unit, fitting a bulb and finding the loose wiring connector but her later V50 and her present XC70 with canbus proved to be too involved so they have not been “improved”.
It's all down to the bean-counters Ian. Once the tooling is made to mould a left hand or right hand light unit without a hole (depending on the mould tool used, it might not even need modifying, just alter the settings on the machine so it only screwed part way in allowing the molten plastic to be injected to fill the void) then that cost is amortised against the production run to get an overall cost per unit.
Written off in other words.

After that the cost per vehicle is a bulb, bulbholder and time to fit, plus of course the loom costs (an extra length of wire and connectors plus an earth connection) and while that cost per vehicle is small as a one-off, when it's multiplied by say 1000 units across a production run, it's suddenly a sizeable chunk of wedge.

As i'm sure you know, my other automotive passion is the Rover 800 - in the Mk1 (1986-91) version there was a cig lighter in the rear ash-tray. This was deleted for the Mk2 (1992 on) and a poorly fitting blanking disc fitted in place of it.
The Mk2 loom was altered considerably from the Mk1 so it wasn't a case of the wiring being there and they just no longer fitted it. It was actively designed out.
I've always joked the tooling costs of making the blanking plug far out-weighed the savings of not fitting a cig lighter but British Aerospace (as they were known by then) saw the bean-counters point of view (see my note above about tooling costs being written off) and saved themselves tuppence ha'penny and a brass farthing on each car.

Like Volvo owners and rear fog lamps, many Rover owners have retro-fitted a cig lighter in the rear ash-tray, myself included. It rarely if ever gets used but makes the car more "complete". Same could probably be said of the rear fogs although there is an important safety aspect with those too.

Worrying when you see a single light coming towards you or in front of you - is it a motorbike, is it someone with defective lighting or what? Also worrying is a trend i've noticed over the past few years on new cars, they light the front fog light on the side where they are turning. It's meant to go out once they are straight again but if the road has a slight curve still after the turning, it remains on. It also remains on if the tracking is out and they have to move the steering wheel away from the straight ahead position to maintain a straight course.

On pre-CANBus cars, it's easy to add a second rear fog. With my limited knowledge of CANBus, i would suggest it's just as easy from a wiring point of view but you'd need the dealer software to go into the CANBus model and tell it that it now has two rear fog lights. Perhaps using LED bulbs and maybe a carefully chosen dummy load resistor would be enough to fool the CANBus.
Without double checking, just making an edumacted guess, i'd say two LED red fog bulbs would take about 900mA (based on what one takes, about 450mA) and one 21W @ 12V bulb take 1.75A so you'd need to add 0.85A with a dummy load resistor. This would have to be 12/0.85 = 14 Ohms. Obviously it would need to handle at least 10W (12 x 0.85) but would recommend at least 20W if not 25W to be safe.
However, finding a 14 ohm resistor in any power rating is tricky! If you found 13 x 180 Ohm, 2.5W resistors and put them in parallel, you'd get about 14 Ohms (180/13) and a power rating of 32.5W which would do it.
Would obviously need some experimentation to get it right and avoid CANBus errors but would be a workable solution!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 15:14   #37
ericbeaumont
ericbeaumont

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
The previous owner was an antique dealer. The rack is currently removed from the car as it's apparently been sold to someone else. I'll see if I can get it when I go back down to car tomorrow
SDV quoted me £430 for one of those last week (car had been written off and no guarantee the salvage would save it, so I was prepared to charge the third party for the replacement).
ericbeaumont is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ericbeaumont For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 19:46   #38
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default That second high intensity rear light.

Dave,
I recall reading somewhere a while ago, probably on this forum. Take a feed from somewhere, fuse probably, to a relay then to the second light. Switch on the relay with a feed from the existing light. I cannot remember whether it was simply to defeat the bulb failure warning or was because of canbus, or both.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 21:57   #39
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Dave,
I recall reading somewhere a while ago, probably on this forum. Take a feed from somewhere, fuse probably, to a relay then to the second light. Switch on the relay with a feed from the existing light. I cannot remember whether it was simply to defeat the bulb failure warning or was because of canbus, or both.
That would work Ian.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 16:09   #40
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
I'm looking for the below parts for my 1996 940 LPT.

grey drivers footwell hard plastic Volvo tray.

Electric sunroof switch.

Grey passenger door pocket.

AC clamp. The notched aluminium plate with bolt hole in centre that holds the 2 ac pipes to the condenser.

Possible wood kit.

Be interested in any items/price of the above.

Many thanks. James.
Have the plastic passenger tray. No sunroof sadly

Cheers
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: