Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Blue Ish Smoke after Idle

Views : 337

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2017, 23:04   #1
EMM

Default Blue Ish Smoke after Idle

Hi All,

Looking for some advice, I've searched high and low and can't seem
To find an answer.

So when the car is started there is no smoke at all.
If I stop the car for more than 2 minutes on Idle and rev t blue smokes comes out then clears.
It will then stay clear until I Idle the car again.

I've had the PCV replaced m, no smoking from the dipstick
I have recently changed to 5w-30 from 10w-40

I'm thinking it's either the turbo leaking oil or the valve seams. Has anyone else had this issues or any other ideas?
EMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 23:53   #2
byootox
Premier Member

If no smoke at start up I'd doubt stem seals.
If breather system clear then it's sounding like the turbo getting worn.
What mileage is on the car ?
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 23:59   #3
EMM

160K 2.3turbo 850 1995.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 00:11   #4
byootox
Premier Member

Similar mileage to mine, you could remove an intake pipe on the boost side of the turbo and see how oily it is.
There will always be a little bit oil as turbos don't really seal fully but if the pipes are running with oil or you can see oily joints at the ends of the pipes then it's getting worn.
You could also check with your hand how much sideways movement in the spindle there is as well.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 13:12   #5
Clogs
Clogs

Default Turbo oil

If you don't normally have blue smoke when accelerating (grey for petrol is common for older cars) try running down a long hill not using the accelerator pedal If you get a cloud of blue smoke when you press the accelerator at the bottom of the hill - it's probably oil leaking from the turbo.

So long as the turbo works OK, it's not worth worrying about too much. To avoid embarrassment, a blip of the accelerator on going down a long hill clears a bit of the oil so there's less of a cloud when you get to the bottom.

In the Alps we have had to pull over if there were a few cars behind, and let them go past at or near the bottom of the passes, otherwise there is a huge cloud of blue after 5 miles going down and down which no one wants to breathe in.

My T5 has done 155,000 miles. It uses a pint of oil every 800-1000 miles. Only when it gets really bad, will I go to the expense of fixing this as it's fiddly.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 13:28   #6
Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMM View Post
Hi All,

Looking for some advice, I've searched high and low and can't seem
To find an answer.

So when the car is started there is no smoke at all.
If I stop the car for more than 2 minutes on Idle and rev t blue smokes comes out then clears.
It will then stay clear until I Idle the car again.

I've had the PCV replaced m, no smoking from the dipstick
I have recently changed to 5w-30 from 10w-40

I'm thinking it's either the turbo leaking oil or the valve seams. Has anyone else had this issues or any other ideas?
I'm getting exactly this too. Had the Turbo checked and was fine so looks like it's the valve stem seals.

There is a way of changing them without removing the head but the proper way is head off I believe.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 14:07   #7
EMM

Cheers for the input guys.

Did the drive down the hill just now and let the car free roll and there was a slight blip of smoke. Parked up at work left it idle and blipped the pedal and there was the smoke again.

Under normal acceleration no issues at all. It gets worse if the ambient temperature is higher.

In two minds but as I want to keep the car for another good few years i'll drop it off at my friendly mechanic and get them to double check it.

Ironically the ECM light came on today and the car stinks of petrol if sat at the lights to long. Then it went off again after a run. So I think there is another fault as well.