Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon: Heater box leak in footwells, Radweld?

Views : 1768

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 11:47   #11
Derek UK
VOC Member

Note my comments in post #3. If the pipe part of the hose is broken off the grommet part should still be in place. If it is, it is being held firmly by the plastic insert. This insert ensures that the seal is good so no added sealant is needed. Unfortunately, even if you manage to tug out both the grommet part with the plastic part you won't be able to reuse the plastic bit without taking the box out. As said, the bottom of the box can get very rusty and the hole might be a bit ragged so you will only be able to fit the drain hose with some sealer. A drop of Arbomast will probably be OK but messy. A proper automotive silicone sealer would be better, not bathroom sealant. Consider taking the box out when it gets a bit warmer. If it needs a repaint make it a long weekend but if your matrix does need repair find somewhere you can take it to that will do it very quickly, same day if you take it in early for instance. Good luck.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 12:27   #12
SvenSomerset

Apologies about the lengthy period between posts, but I tried to get my hand in behind the heater box to replace the drain hose and simply couldn't do it, just not enough room – anyone have tips on how to get this pesky thing in without dismantling the heater box????
SvenSomerset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 13:47   #13
arcturus
arcturus

Can you not just by pass the heater box? I did that with my PV. You shouldn't need the heater at this time of year.
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 14:39   #14
SvenSomerset

Well, we keep Sven in a rented garage (which he just fits into!) a couple of streets away, one without light or power, and seeing as I don't drive (my wife's a much better driver than I'd ever be!), I only get a small amount of time to do bits and pieces on it. I simply wanted to get the drain tube back in before the autumn, to get another little task sorted, which means that I don't have to crawl around on my hands and knees, with my better half going "come on, hurry up!", and risk ruining decent clobber doing so, and can just enjoy going out in him! :-) So any tips on getting the drain plug into both holes without taking the heater box off (beyond my capabilities!) would be brilliant!
SvenSomerset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 13:55   #15
Derek UK
VOC Member

I'm afraid that the only way to fit the lower drain tube is to remove the heater box and split the two halves. See here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=271178
I don't know how much water actually gets to the bottom of the box when driving in the rain. Should be very little if the air intake drain pipe is clear. Heavy hosing or a bucket of water might do it. Not uncommon to see some rust in the bottom of the box when you take it apart though. I'm not recommending you to fit a rubber plug in the hole from inside the car but it might prove that the leak is from there if it stops it. A balled up piece of cloth or a sponge could also be used for diagnosis.
Removing the heater box IS awkward and fiddly plus some patience needed too but not really difficult. Beware the thin sensor pipe from the heater valve, which has to come out too.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: