Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nebula Wheel Refurb

Views : 1045

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Which colour should i have my nebula wheels done?
100% anthracite 3 33.33%
100% standard factory 1 11.11%
anthracite centre and rear rim, with platinum edge 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 15th, 2017, 09:07   #1
Beavis
Premier Member

Default Nebula Wheel Refurb

Quick show of hands please.....
Just dropping the 18" off at the local refurb place for a spruce up.
I'm torn between Anthracite with silver outer rim - (not diamond cut as they said that can corrode quicker than a platinum powder coat finish around the edge)
here
nebula.jpg

or all anthracite.
neb3.JPG

Not sure if the silver outer rim is too bling. also not sure if the 100% anthracite shows off the wheel to the max showing off the split rim.

it'll be going onto a Flash green car
s60.jpg

any thoughts. thanks in advance. i need to make a final decision by Thursday. Only £5 difference in the cost per wheel.

Last edited by Beavis; Aug 15th, 2017 at 09:15.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 15:10   #2
Petey80
Premier Member

I like the first wheels - Anthracite with silver outer rim.

However, if the wheel place has said that, you could go full Anthracite and put some similar coloured rim blades on? - https://rimblades.com/

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Petey80 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 15:56   #3
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Remember, YOU asked so don't yell at me.

I prefer the look of the first ones too as the silver hardware highlights on the darker one seem cheesy.
Put another way, I don't think your peaceful looking 4 door could utilize the "black flash" of the second choice well.

Wanna do something for the "National Beautification Coefficient"?...lose that rear spoiler. It's a religious thing with me.

To Petey80: The Rimblade range of products could look absolutely fantastic in the right color combo. They reminded me of the thin red "white wall" used briefly on the Pontiac GTO's ('64-'66?).

The kicker with that piece of straight extruded plastic being bent into place and affixed with "super tape" will be when an end works free and a 24" long tail of that hard plastic whips about the side of your car at 7,000 rpm as you endeavor to pull over safely.

Assuming, of course, you don't freak and simply crash. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 20:05   #4
camturbo

I like the look of the first pic as well but maybe a duller silver around the outside.
camturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 00:07   #5
Bill_56
Premier Member

Believe it or not and don't shoot the messenger, if you vary from original specification you may have to discuss it with your insurer. They may argue that a different wheel design makes the car more attractive to thieves.

In the event of any (completely unrelated) claim, if they can persuade the ombudsman that they'd have loaded the premium if they'd known about the change, they might reduce the payout. If they can persuade the ombudsman that the'd have refused cover, i.e. a complete ban on mods, they might refuse to pay out at all.

Repeat, don't shoot the messenger.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 09:04   #6
Beavis
Premier Member

thank you all for the replies. i've decided to do the mid anthracite with a platinum outer edge on the rim. Its slightly matter and darker than the picture i posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey80 View Post
I like the first wheels - Anthracite with silver outer rim.

However, if the wheel place has said that, you could go full Anthracite and put some similar coloured rim blades on? - https://rimblades.com/
thank you for this - wasn't aware of this but will know for next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Remember, YOU asked so don't yell at me.

I prefer the look of the first ones too as the silver hardware highlights on the darker one seem cheesy.
Put another way, I don't think your peaceful looking 4 door could utilize the "black flash" of the second choice well.

Wanna do something for the "National Beautification Coefficient"?...lose that rear spoiler. It's a religious thing with me.

To Petey80: The Rimblade range of products could look absolutely fantastic in the right color combo. They reminded me of the thin red "white wall" used briefly on the Pontiac GTO's ('64-'66?).

The kicker with that piece of straight extruded plastic being bent into place and affixed with "super tape" will be when an end works free and a 24" long tail of that hard plastic whips about the side of your car at 7,000 rpm as you endeavor to pull over safely.

Assuming, of course, you don't freak and simply crash. Kira
love your replies Kira
i've decided to do the rim a darker platinum shade, rather than the bright silver/diamond edge, so its not so bright.
i was thinking of ditching the boot spoiler, and going for a full on 90's Cosworth Whale Tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by camturbo View Post
I like the look of the first pic as well but maybe a duller silver around the outside.
noted - thank you for this. thats what i've decided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
Believe it or not and don't shoot the messenger, if you vary from original specification you may have to discuss it with your insurer. They may argue that a different wheel design makes the car more attractive to thieves.

In the event of any (completely unrelated) claim, if they can persuade the ombudsman that they'd have loaded the premium if they'd known about the change, they might reduce the payout. If they can persuade the ombudsman that the'd have refused cover, i.e. a complete ban on mods, they might refuse to pay out at all.

Repeat, don't shoot the messenger.
thank you bill - very valid point. i'll speak with them later. my insurers are fairly relaxed, and on a previous vehicle never charged me for minor mods like this - but an important point none the less, and one which i had overlooked.

can't believe the price of a split rim refurb in the UK. a basic wheel is c.£70 for stripping and repainting. the best i could get for a split rim in my area was £125 - if i split the rim myself it was £135 ?? It was a toss up between replacement with non OEM alloys or a refurb - thankfully my neighbour is paying for one as he hit one in his car, so i just have to fund the other 3, and as i love the car so much, i hope to keep it a while. Its a 2008 manual T5 se sport, and the rest of the car is in fantastic condition.
haven't quite plucked up the courage to tell the wife yet.....

just need to save up to do the remap; exhaust; downpipe; lowering 15mm. at least with it now up on axel stands, i'll be able to give it a service.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beavis For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 19:49   #7
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I emailed Rimblades in Taunton and asked for small samples of 2" or 3". I did, however, ask for all 10 colors. Their website shows only 6 or 7 of them.

Their US rep in Hawaii, (I think, because nobody says "Aloha" in correspondence except Hawaiians) contacted me.

Seems voter turnout on that color design choice was low. 'Zat how Brexit happened? 'Zow D.J.T. happened.

Good luck with the finishing job whichever YOU select.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 11:00   #8
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Seems voter turnout on that color design choice was low. 'Zat how Brexit happened? 'Zow D.J.T. happened.
a wins a win....if the full anthracite wheel didn't make a strong enough case, can't blame the anthracite/platinum for taking the win

just need to summon the courage to tell the wife....
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 11:03   #9
Petey80
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuT4 View Post
just need to summon the courage to tell the wife....
Wife: "You want to spend how much on doing what to them??!!"
Wife: "They don't even need that doing they look fine"

But they don't look how I want them to look hahaha!!

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Petey80 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 09:18   #10
Beavis
Premier Member

powdercoated refurbed wheels came back at the weekend. Have given them 3 coats of Poorboys sealant/wax, then refitted. I'm pleased with them, but glad i didn't go any darker on the anthracite colour - i went mid, and was concerned they would be too light, but they are actually as dark as i'd want to go.
lot better than the previous 9.5 year finish.
v1.jpg

v2.jpg

v3.jpg

v4.jpg

just need to lower it by 15mm now