Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thinking of buying a new XC90

Views : 650

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2017, 09:29   #1
vc147

Default Thinking of buying a new XC90

Hi everybody, this is my first post. I would be really grateful if somebody on the forum could help me please.

I have been offered an amazing deal on a new XC90, when I thought it wasn't in my range. Was actually going for the XC60. However I have twins expected shortly and my question was, how much room is there in the third seats with two rear facing baby seats. I have a big family with 5 adults, so could really do with the 7 seats, but there would be no point in doing that if the third row seats became non-viable!

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated:

VC
vc147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 09:39   #2
njpollard

There's certainly room for rear facing seats in the back row if you move the middle row forwards a bit.

However, there's no ISOFIX, so you'll need to belt them in and that might be tricky without getting into one the back seats. We usually have one child in the back row and one in the middle row.
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 09:44   #3
AB-UK
Premier Member

Take your baby seats to your local dealership and try it yourself!
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 11:00   #4
vc147

Hi sorry for the confusion, poorly explained on my behalf.

What I meant to say was, how much room is there in the 3rd row seats if you use two isofix seats in the middle row! Also I haven't ordered the car seats yet!

Many thanks for your help:

VC
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 12:22   #5
njpollard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc147 View Post
Hi sorry for the confusion, poorly explained on my behalf.

What I meant to say was, how much room is there in the 3rd row seats if you use two isofix seats in the middle row! Also I haven't ordered the car seats yet!

Many thanks for your help:

VC
There should be plenty of legroom in all rows, regardless of which configuration you use and where you put the child seats.

HOWEVER you won't be able to get in to the back row if you put the seats in the middle, since the ISOFIX points are on the two outer seats which you'll need to tilt and slide to get into the back. The only practical solution we've found is when we have more than 2 adults, put one of the seats in the back row and use the belt to secure it. I looked into the safety aspect of this, and belt fastening is just as safe as ISOFIX if it's done properly.

Last edited by njpollard; Aug 17th, 2017 at 12:24.
njpollard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to njpollard For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 13:01   #6
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi everybody, this is my first post. I would be really grateful if somebody on the forum could help me please.

I have been offered an amazing deal on a new XC90, when I thought it wasn't in my range. Was actually going for the XC60. However I have twins expected shortly and my question was, how much room is there in the third seats with two rear facing baby seats. I have a big family with 5 adults, so could really do with the 7 seats, but there would be no point in doing that if the third row seats became non-viable!

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated:

VC
As the XC60 is only a 5 seat car with a smaller cargo area it would not be a viable option anyway so the XC90 is the more practical option, as mention above the only way of getting into the 3rd row would be to fit one child seat in postion after people have gained access to the rear seats, but this would make it difficult to get out in an emergency, or fit one in 3rd row with an adult in the other 3rd row seat which is the more practical and safer solution. I would also check to see if a twin buggy will fit jn the rear cargo area with 3rd row in use, it is bigger than the Discovery and Q7 with seats in use. The XC90 is by far a more practical car than the XC60.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Aug 17th, 2017 at 13:04.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 14:47   #7
njpollard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I would also check to see if a twin buggy will fit jn the rear cargo area with 3rd row in use, it is bigger than the Discovery and Q7 with seats in use.
Agreed - the Discovery 4 doesn't have enough room for most standard pushchairs with all the seats in use, let alone a twin buggy.

However, the Q7 boot isn't much smaller than the XC90 with all seats in use, and has the advantage of ISOFIX in the third row, so could be worth considering.
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 18:05   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njpollard View Post
Agreed - the Discovery 4 doesn't have enough room for most standard pushchairs with all the seats in use, let alone a twin buggy.

However, the Q7 boot isn't much smaller than the XC90 with all seats in use, and has the advantage of ISOFIX in the third row, so could be worth considering.
Very true. The Q7 is the next best thing, and a lovely car but loaded up to same spec as XC90 its very expensive.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 20:16   #9
vc147

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Very true. The Q7 is the next best thing, and a lovely car but loaded up to same spec as XC90 its very expensive.
Thanks for all your help and advice is really appreciated. I also have the same offer on the Q7! However I think that the q7 would be better initially as all passenger seats are isofix compatible. But the third row seats have barely any room - so less suitable as family grows. Where as the XC90 I think would be more problematic initially as from my reading, baby seats take up more room than infant seats. But would then come into its own ......
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 20:42   #10
njpollard

Quote:
Where as the XC90 I think would be more problematic initially as from my reading, baby seats take up more room than infant seats. But would then come into its own ......
If you have rear facing infant seats, they definitely take up more room than the baby seats. Both fit fine into the XC90.

Another advantage of the Q7 is how easy it is to get ISOFIX seats in and out. They have a removable panel (at least in the second row) but Volvo's are hidden between the seat cushions.

I preferred the XC90 overall, but I think the Q7 would probably have been more practical for children under 5.