Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aux belt (s) 2L petrol - How easy to replace

Views : 4168

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2017, 21:25   #1
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Aux belt (s) 2L petrol - How easy to replace

Hello,

Want to replace the aux belts on a 2L petrol 2007 C30 (seems to have ford engine), the longer inner belt run looks easy, but there is a shorter belt at the bottom driving the ? Aircon? pump, the tensioner is a Gates one which looks like a ford style one fixed with three 10mm head bolts, would these be the stretch variety that need replacing? also the bottom (short) belt how is it tensioned? any ideas? Has anyone used Dayco V-belts and how are they on quality/longevity?
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 11:22   #2
StatusRed
Premier Member

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I know for certain that aux belt replacement is a service item at certain service intervals. So I guess that answers your question about expecting to need to replace them at some point?

I had mine replaced last year as it was making a "chuffing" sound in the winter months, replacing the aux belts resolved this.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 20:10   #3
mf70

VIDA sez that, for the 2007 C30 B4164S3 engine, there is a special Volvo tool, #999 7250, that does the tensioning in some mysterious manner. Old belts are to be cut off!

(There are SIX different petrol engines listed for the 2007 C30!)
mf70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mf70 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 20:43   #4
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Those belts

Hi Mf,

Well i did figure this one out, so for anyone else on here ill share..

It seems the shorter belt that drives the (AC compressor -i think) is a stretch belt, mine had original gates belts & tensioner so i replaced with gates, the stretch belt doesn't use a tensioner unlike the longer belt that drives the alternator & other stuff but is a bit harder to fit, it basically involves cranking the pulley round while the belt finds its way onto the pulley, found several youtube examples, but i think the volvo tool that vida mentions might be what is recommended to get the belt on without too much cursing !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRkzBqM4uPU

Probably explains the approach of cutting off the old belt (for the short one anyway)

The belts were 6PK1306 (long one)
and 5PK705 (the short 'stretchy' belt

The 5 or 6 at the start is the number of V's in the belt, and the following
number is the length in mm which is nice and easy to understand..

I used 6PK1305 belt in place of the 6PK1306, as this was the closest the supplier stocked but i dont think the 1mm is going to feature much when the tensioner is there to take up the tension..

Dayco are another belt manufacturer, i believe who supply ford and ppl like eur cp seem to stock their belts,

The tensioner on mine was volvo P/N 30684344 (an alternative is 31251845), the original gates tensioner was T38318 (has a 69mm dia pulley and is 29mm wide) mounts on 3x 10mm headed bolts. Ina also make a replacement tensioner (i used this) interestingly it also had the gates logo on it so perhaps ina=gates .. who knows..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 09:55   #5
johnnycol

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but this post is pretty relevant.
So I have a squealing C30, and it seems to be the Aux belt down the left side of the engine looking from the front of the car.
I bought a belt kit off ebay and it was a Volvo dealer so they checked it was right for my car. It came with 2 belts and a tensioner, which has 3 bolts as seemed to be described on this old post, but every youtube video I look at shows 2 tensioners- 1 sitting just behind the other.
So now I'm wondering if I've got the right thing. Planning to get the wheel and well flaring off at the weekend and have a look. Probably should have done that first. Noob error.
2013 C30 2.0 Manual Petrol
johnnycol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 10:03   #6
PNM

I did this job about a year ago on mine. In summary,

The original set up for the car was 2 stretch belts with fixed tensioners, one for the ac pump, and one for everything else. I think there were some problems with belt noise, hence the change of pulley.

The kit contains a tensioner pulley to replace the fixed pulley located bolted to the side of the engine near the front. It is easily changed once the old belt is off.

The ac belt remains a stretch belt which doesn't has a tensioner. It's a bit of a pain to fit, you can get a special tool, or do it the way the Haynes manual suggests which is to loosen off the ac compressor to get the belt on.
PNM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PNM For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 10:27   #7
johnnycol

Ok thanks for the reply, still a bit confused as to what part I'm changing. Probably make sense once I see it on the car.
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 10:30   #8
johnnycol

This is the kit
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-V...9-a5053d29c9d2
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnycol For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 10:38   #9
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile old threads..

Hi Jonny

Not sure if the engine on your year car is the same ford/mazda one, but if it is, yes there are 2 belts one is a stretch belt (gates usually) that just drives the AC compressor, the other long belt is for the Alternator and coolant pump and has the tensioner at the top (another gates part) to release the long belt tension you just use a spanner on the tensioner centre bolt.. so thats the easier belt to swap the tensioner def needs replacing after some miles and it could be its this thats squealing (but could also be any component on the belt runs,, does turning the A/C off (or lights off/reduced load on alternator etc) make any difference to the squealing? I guess you could also start the engine with the aux belt off (altho run for short time only as coolant wont be circulating) to see if the squeal disappears.. The info above applies to a 2007 year C30 some pics attached of the belt run, post some of yours or compare..

Hope thats helpful, with belts the number gives number of V sections per belt and total length in mm usually

Tensioner is very easy to swap, the stretch belt (shorter one on lhs in ad pic) may need some persuasion.. and i think also as its on the outer end you will need to remove this to get the longer inner belt off/swap out (easier bit!)

Hope thats helpful,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1150073.jpg (170.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg P1150074.jpg (113.5 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Thassos; Nov 12th, 2021 at 10:41.
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 10:53   #10
johnnycol

Thanks for that, I'll have a look at dinnertime.
The squealing happens from a cold start and stops after a few minutes.
Doesnt matter if the A/C is on or off.

Tags
aux belt, dayco