Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How many volvo forum members are motorcycle riders?

Views : 9282

Replies : 134

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2017, 20:13   #121
Munro83

Ok so got my tests coming up, so hopefully will be selling the ybr125 to get something bigger.

Here's my dilemma: any big bike will be a big step up in performance from the 125 but I don't fancy selling in a couple of months because we've outgrown it. I want something with a screen and preferably full or half fairing as it's mainly A roads we will ride. I've been reading reviews/eBay/gumtree at loads of bikes but ultimately will need a shortlist to sit on but what suits me might not suit my wife and vice versa. I'm 5 ft 10 and weigh 14stone and she is 5 ft 3 and is a lot lighter than me.
The other spanner in the works is that we are changing the Volvo in a couple of months so money will be prioritised to that, so my budget after selling the 125 will be £1k-2k. So my options are:

Option A is to spend £2k on one decent bike to share. Pros to this is get a decent bike that we like and won't grow out of it. Cons- we have to share it- but having 2 young kids means that probably won't be a issue too often. Might not suit us both. Chances are we will drop it so might be money wasted etc. Will have to get a 2nd bike eventually

Option B is to buy 2 cheap bikes. Pros- get a bike each that suit us. If one bike brakes/needs serviced there is another one. Being cheap means not a big issue if it's dropped etc. Will be older bikes so may get bargains. Cons- older bikes so may be a gamble. Twice the expense. Will have to wait a couple of years to get what I really want.

Option c is to just spend £1k on a bike to share and gain some more experience without worrying about dropping/scratches etc

So either spend £2k on one decent bike/ two cheaper, older bikes or £1k on one older bike- what would you do? And what bike(s) would you buy?

Last edited by Munro83; Aug 17th, 2017 at 20:35.
Munro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 21:52   #122
Rooster
Speed freak

Get something about 1k,

Friend is selling his 600 bandit for 1k and its not a bad old bike,

It might even teach you a bit if you have to get your hands dirty and fix it,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 21:56   #123
Munro83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Get something about 1k,

Friend is selling his 600 bandit for 1k and its not a bad old bike,

It might even teach you a bit if you have to get your hands dirty and fix it,
Around the £1k Mark you can pick up good bandits/sv650s/ fazers. We know a lady who has a Yamaha thundercat, bit older but it's a lovely bike

Last edited by Munro83; Aug 17th, 2017 at 22:04.
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 22:10   #124
Rooster
Speed freak

I spent 3k on my first big bike and was mortified when I dropped it putting it away and dented the fuel tank,

Although not as mortified as when I threw it down road last week after skidding on some diesel after having it 15 months, lucky the crash bungs saved it from any serious damage
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 12:16   #125
Grimble
Grimble

Go for an older big one for about £1k. One that is unlikely ever to gain 'classic' status ,whatever that may be. You will learn a lot by doing the mechanicals (and save a bit as well).

My 1978 Yamaha XS1100 is plenty quick and probably worth about that. Shaft drive and very reliable. May be a bit heavy for your wife though.
The bigger the bike the less you'll feel cramped compared to a 600 say, if as I suspect, you are over 35 or so.
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 13:48   #126
Munro83

Would you have a Yamaha thundercat or an older vfr800?

Also I've struggled to figure out what is classed as old in a bike??
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 15:27   #127
Grimble
Grimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munro83 View Post
Would you have a Yamaha thundercat or an older vfr800?

Also I've struggled to figure out what is classed as old in a bike??
Both would be ok.
Old is a difficult term to quantify. I'd go off condition, mileage and service history.
Most jap stuff, if looked after reasonably well and oil changed at least as per manual, should last quite well.

Externally my 1978 looks its age, but mechanically its very sound. Always starts a conversation if parked up, compared with something much more superior and modern. If you like chatting to strangers that is!
Old Aug 19th, 2017, 10:57   #128
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munro83 View Post
Ok so got my tests coming up, so hopefully will be selling the ybr125 to get something bigger.

Here's my dilemma: any big bike will be a big step up in performance from the 125 but I don't fancy selling in a couple of months because we've outgrown it. I want something with a screen and preferably full or half fairing as it's mainly A roads we will ride. I've been reading reviews/eBay/gumtree at loads of bikes but ultimately will need a shortlist to sit on but what suits me might not suit my wife and vice versa. I'm 5 ft 10 and weigh 14stone and she is 5 ft 3 and is a lot lighter than me.
The other spanner in the works is that we are changing the Volvo in a couple of months so money will be prioritised to that, so my budget after selling the 125 will be £1k-2k. So my options are:

Option A is to spend £2k on one decent bike to share. Pros to this is get a decent bike that we like and won't grow out of it. Cons- we have to share it- but having 2 young kids means that probably won't be a issue too often. Might not suit us both. Chances are we will drop it so might be money wasted etc. Will have to get a 2nd bike eventually

Option B is to buy 2 cheap bikes. Pros- get a bike each that suit us. If one bike brakes/needs serviced there is another one. Being cheap means not a big issue if it's dropped etc. Will be older bikes so may get bargains. Cons- older bikes so may be a gamble. Twice the expense. Will have to wait a couple of years to get what I really want.

Option c is to just spend £1k on a bike to share and gain some more experience without worrying about dropping/scratches etc

So either spend £2k on one decent bike/ two cheaper, older bikes or £1k on one older bike- what would you do? And what bike(s) would you buy?
I'd definitely look at older bikes in your postion - I still do now tbh and I've been riding 26ish years.

As to what bike, it depends on what position you like, ie 'sit up and beg' or 'head down arse up', if I was looking for a 1st big bike now, I'd consider a bandit or Fazer 600, or ZZR/older CBR600 for a slightly more 'sporty' position.
Old Aug 19th, 2017, 13:15   #129
Munro83

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
I'd definitely look at older bikes in your postion - I still do now tbh and I've been riding 26ish years.

As to what bike, it depends on what position you like, ie 'sit up and beg' or 'head down arse up', if I was looking for a 1st big bike now, I'd consider a bandit or Fazer 600, or ZZR/older CBR600 for a slightly more 'sporty' position.
I don't really want the head down bum up position 😆. Starting to really like the Yamaha thundercat- last of them 2003.

I just can't get my head around the age thing- if it was a car I wouldn't consider a 14yr old at all, but bikes don't seam to age the same?
Old Aug 19th, 2017, 13:23   #130
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Deleted.

Last edited by Prufrock; Aug 19th, 2017 at 14:30. Reason: Posted in error.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote