Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cruise Control Usage

Views : 10558

Replies : 79

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: When do you use cruise control?
In 30mph zones 14 5.22%
In 40mph zones 20 7.46%
In 50 mph zones 39 14.55%
Only on motorways 98 36.57%
In all zones including motorways 136 50.75%
I don't use cruise control 23 8.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 31st, 2014, 21:40   #1
jay87
Volvo's Great

Question Cruise Control Usage

Hi All

I just wondered how many of you use cruise control for your daily driving.

I for example have started using it in 30,40,50 Zones as well as motorways and braking to slow

I understand this is less economical as instead of releasing the accelerator to slow down you are braking, wasting fuel.

Also does the engine management rev more than you would naturally to maintain a contstant speed, using more fuel?

I just like giving my feet a rest and relaxing back into my comfy volvo seats if the road is quiet ;-)

I just wondered how many of you use it and in what situations really?

Last edited by jay87; May 31st, 2014 at 21:49.
jay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 22:19   #2
Father Ted
Master Member

I use it in all zones, but knock it off when anticipating braking (0 button), so it can't be much less economical.
But, it's more than made up for by being more economical whilst running.
The Following User Says Thank You to Father Ted For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2014, 22:44   #3
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay87 View Post
I understand this is less economical as instead of releasing the accelerator to slow down you are braking, wasting fuel.

Also does the engine management rev more than you would naturally to maintain a contstant speed, using more fuel?
I use it at every opportunity. Don't see the point of the speed limiter as the cruise control maintains the speed I set. I don't drive in a heavily congested city so I do not accelerate, brake, accelerate, brake....

When slowing down hit the 0 button as Father Ted suggests just like you would ease off the throttle. The car then goes into overrun and shuts off the fuel supply = none used.

Not sure how the car would "rev more"? In my car 2000rpm in 6th = 80mph, doesn't matter if I'm pressing the pedal or the electrickery is doing the business 80mph = 2000rpm.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 23:22   #4
Bill_56
Premier Member

I also use it whenever possible, principally as a means to avoid speeding tickets! Setting CC to a tiny smidgen over the limit tends to placate the impatient tailgaters, whilst also avoiding penalties.

It does however increase fuel consumption as it prevents the car from 'using' the hills. Driving along an undulating road, optimum economy would be achieved by allowing the car to speed on on the downhills, gathering momentum, and then to slow on the uphills as then momentum is spent, then repeat again gathering speed down into the next valley, and so on.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill_56 For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2014, 23:33   #5
GMcL
0's and 1's

Placing speed cameras at the bottom of each dip in the Scottish Borders stops the practice of saving fuel and the environment over less than perfectly flat countryside. Speed is bad...repeat ad nauseum.

Also, I recently did a speed awareness course. The state of the roads and pot holes is not a cause for concern. For the time a wheel is not in contact with the road due to the shocking state of the surfaces is not considered a road safety issue.

It's the Daily Mail so take your Gaviscon before clicking...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...MILE-road.html

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; May 31st, 2014 at 23:39.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2014, 23:47   #6
Considered1
Premier Member

I use cruise control everywhere possible and alter it for the required zone I'm entering, the car will alter speed to follow the new limit set.
Looking forward to playing with adaptive cruise full time from next week
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 00:13   #7
jay87
Volvo's Great

Smile

Thanks for this guys, it's really helpful

I don't use the O button currently just cruise, then set, so will bare that in mind when approaching slower traffic to allow the engine to gradually lose speed

I do feel much more relaxed with it set at the speed limit, and as you say you've got the reassurance that you're not going to get stung by a speed camera!

Tailgaters can tailgate on
jay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 00:28   #8
gjd
Premier Member

Hello

I don't have a "0" button - my 13 year old V70 has stalk controls with a rocker switch marked +/-. I touch either to activate the control, and then the car holds the speed. I touch either the brake or clutch pedal to disengage, or I can use the rocker to increase or decrease speed.

It's an absolute godsend on the A14 past Cambridge, where there are average speed cameras for miles. It's also been superb in roadworks. I just don't have to worry about my speed.

It is especially reassuring because according to my phone's satnav, my speedo is 3mph too fast. So, when the needle hits 70 and I activate the control, I know I'm doing 67mph!

Wish more people had it/used it. Really frustrating to be overtaken (usually by an Audi) only to have to pull out to pass it a couple of minutes later.
gjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gjd For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 00:32   #9
Rooster
Speed freak

My CC is getting some right welly lately with the pesky 50mph limit on M62 from castleford to rothwell,

Use it when towing aswell to stop me straying over 60 on motorway aswell
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 01:07   #10
CJL
Master Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
For the time a wheel is not in contact with the road due to the shocking state of the surfaces is not considered a road safety issue.
In fact, you could actually see pot holes as a safely feature. For the time your wheel is not in contact with the road it is not propelling you forward to greater speeds and killing everyone.
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote